Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

LaCrosse WS2350 (WS2300) and wind

Gatekeeper
Weather Station: LaCrosse WS2350
Operating System: Windows 7 32 Bit

LaCrosse WS2350 (WS2300) and wind

Post by Gatekeeper »

When Cumulus is NOT running does it log the highest wind speed and download it to the Cumulus program when it it running again ? Sorry if this is a stupid question !
Brian :?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: LaCrosse WS2350 (WS2300) and wind

Post by steve »

When Cumulus starts up, it downloads all of the data from the station's logger for the period it wasn't running. But note that the wind speed that the station logs in each entry is the wind speed at the time that the station made the entry, so it may not necessarily include the highest wind speed, if that occurred in the period between logger entries.
Steve
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

So would it be OK to leave Cumulus running all the time - does it take up much CPU time ?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Quite a few people leave it running all the time - I do. It takes very little CPU most of the time. I think the most CPU is taken animating the wind gauge, so you could turn that off if it seems to be using a lot.
Steve
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

Thanks Steve - good advice. I have 4 gib of ram and a pretty fast processor so leaving it on should not be a problem. FYI - I left it on this morning and it recorded correctly the highest wind spedd according to 'Heavy Weather' - the LaCrosse software. In the next version is it possible that it could download the same data as Heavy Weather as this seems to keep the highest wind speed whether the PC is on or off ?
Great prgroam - love it.
Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Gatekeeper wrote:In the next version is it possible that it could download the same data as Heavy Weather as this seems to keep the highest wind speed whether the PC is on or off ?
You presumably mean the highest speed of the day (etc), rather than the highest speed since the program was last run? I don't think the station keeps data on highs and lows at a finer interval than the daily figures.

Cumulus could use the daily (etc) highs and lows from the station, but it's just not designed to work that way. There are two reasons for this:

1. Cumulus has to work with so many different station types and I would have to write large amounts of code specific to each station type to cater for using the various highs and lows that each station provides. I want to keep as much code 'common' as possible.

2. Cumulus supports meteorological days of both midnight to midnight and 0900 to 0900, and no stations or the software provided with them do this. The high/low stats kept by the station only apply to a midnight to midnight day.

So software written for a specific weather station has an advantage over Cumulus; it only has to work with that station, and it doesn't have to cater for a day of 0900 to 0900.
Steve
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

Hi Steve
Thanks for the detailed answer and I fully understand the issues. I'm quite happy to keep Cumulus running all the time and this resolves my problem. One day I will invest in a Davis station (When I win the lottery) !
Thanks again and great work with the software - much appreciated and will be happy to donate again when the newest version arrives - the beta looks excellent
Cheers !

Brian