Sandaysoft

Support forum for Cumulus weather station software
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:42 pm
Please click here before posting. Help me to help you!
Useful Links: Cumulus FAQ • Enhancement requests • Wiki (documentation) • Downloads
Please put your approximate location into your profile • Add your personal web site to the Cumulus user map
Read the Announcements and News section regularly!
If you find Cumulus useful, please consider a donation -

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: High readings when station loses communication with sensor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows Home Server 2011
Latest build attempts to fix the 'lost communication' data issues:

http://www.nybbles.co.uk/downloads/beta185/CumulusSetup.exe

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:31 pm 

Thanks Steve,

I've downloaded and installed the new version, the station has been behaving itself for the last day or two, so I can't tell if its made an difference, I'll let you know how it goes if and when the problem recurs.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

OK - thanks, John.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:30 pm 

Hi,

I have installed the new build but am still obtaining aberrant readings. Since these include data measured at the console, I am not sure that reception breakdown is the sole explanation. What I notice (e.g. for pressure readings) is that the wacky data contain elements of the preceding and following readings, with the problem seeminly affecting the digits preceding the final two: e.g.

Dunno if this is of any use, but in case it is...

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

The pressure data is returned in 3 bytes of BCD, so this suggests that the least significant byte, representing the 7.2 in your first example, is OK, but the other two, representing x100 (the x is part of the pressure in inHg) are not. But the data is checksummed, so I don't understand what could be going wrong. The checksum isn't very sophisticated - add the bytes and take the least significant byte.

I'm not actually logging the entire packet to the debug log, just the data, but could you turn on the debug log and let me have it when you see the problem again? And I'll look into tracing the entire packet including the checksum.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:06 pm 

Thanks! Will do!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:34 pm 

Doc D wrote:
Hi,

I have installed the new build but am still obtaining aberrant readings. Since these include data measured at the console, I am not sure that reception breakdown is the sole explanation. What I notice (e.g. for pressure readings) is that the wacky data contain elements of the preceding and following readings, with the problem seeminly affecting the digits preceding the final two: e.g.

Dunno if this is of any use, but in case it is...

Many thanks!

I'm seeing something similar, strange single readings which don't recur, if you look at yesterdays high pressure reading you can see what I mean, at about 8.50pm

http://weather.kilmoneynet.com/weather/yesterday.htm

I've uploaded my debug.log to http://www.kilmoneynet.com/files/debug.log, it has got quite big 7.5MB so hopefully you will be able to see what's going on.

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

You seem to have had a temperature glitch just now also :(

I've found that high pressure reading in the log and the values agree, and there is no checksum error. I noticed there was a checksum error for another pressure reading, so the checksum code does appear to be working.

Could you please install this: http://www.nybbles.co.uk/downloads/test/CumulusSetup.exe - it logs the checksums received and calculated.

You could delete the debug.log as it's getting so big.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

I have a theory about what may be happening. The checksums are correct so the data is correct. However, it's not the data I've asked for. The requests from Cumulus are (occasionally) getting garbled and the station is sending data from an address other than the one I've asked for. Each byte is requested separately, so this explains why some of the data bytes making up the pressure (etc) are correct, and some are not.

I'll see if there's something I can do about this.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Having looked at the code, I see that I am already verifying that the station has understood what I've asked it. So I'm baffled, basically.

I've added some more tracing to the debug log, and some more filtering of bad data to the latest beta. I also spotted a few problems if you have 'calculate dewpoint' or 'calculate windchill' set, where I was confusing units, and hopefully fixed these. There's a chance that in fixing that I have introduced other bugs, so keep an eye on your readings for anything odd.

http://www.nybbles.co.uk/downloads/beta185/CumulusSetup.exe

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:26 pm 

Hi Steve,

I've installed the new version and have had some wacky readings (rainfall, temp, pressure...) since then, but I certainly can't rule out the possibility that something in my set-up is creating the aberrant readings (which are then being faithfully recorded by Cumulus). I'll try re-jigging a few things and then see what happens before wasting any more of your valuable time right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 pm 

Sorry to be so slow getting back to you, I've installed both updates and am collecting data, I've already had some strange readings but I'll leave it run for a while more with the latest update before I post up another bug report. I'm starting to wonder if the fault lies with the USB/serial convertor, I've seen one or two similar errors showing up in Heavy Weather.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a secondhand PC to use 24/7 as a weather server, maybe that might make a difference, I'm not sure if it (Dell Optiplex GX620) has a serial port maybe that might cure the problem.

John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

I was going to ask if you were using a serial/usb connector, I've read that some of these can cause problems. I'm not saying it isn't Cumulus's fault; it may be that it drives the serial port in such a way that causes problems...

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

There's a bug in build 670 which affects anyone using inches Hg for pressure. My checks for bad data are using mb/hPa values, so everything is rejected if you use inHg. I thought I had all the checks allowing for units sorted out, but that one's slipped through.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:13 pm 

Well, I collected my "weather PC" and have it installed in the attic with the WS2300 connected via serial for the last few hours. No strange readings yet even though I've had a connection dropout (more on that below), this time when the connection dropped ( there seems to be two ways the 2300 itself deals with this, sometimes the display shows OFL and others just -) the Cumulus display showed the last good reading, is that the way you wanted Steve?

When I started the fresh install of Cumulus on the weather PC (use data-logger was ticked by default) Cumulus downloaded the historic data from the station, but seemed to become a little confused because the monthly total reported from the station was higher than it seemed to expect, it was adding the difference into this hours total. I decided at that stage to make another clean install this time unticking use data-logger, and all seems to be working as expected.

I have the PC uploading to http://weather.kilmoneynet.com/ if anyone's interested.

John

PS. The WS2300 definitely doesn't like DECT phones, the attic where I put the weather PC (to keep it clear of the kids) also is home to my networking and VOIP gear including a DECT base station, it lost contact within 20 minutes and didn't reconnect till I pulled the power on the DECT setup.