Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain rate question

Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Rain rate question

Post by Matt.j5b »

I download from the station logger at 10 minutes intervals and it seems that the rainrate that is calculated is too low. Examples

Rain recorded in 10 min period, Rain Rate Calculated, Should it be this 10 minute recording increased by a factor of 6 (10 minute per hour)

0.5, 0.9, 2
1.0, 1.9, 4
1.5, 2.8, 6
2.1, 3.7, 8

It just seems when I get for example 0.5 it is only a rate of 0.9. I know it hard because the station does not supplies it but at some stage unless the calculation is at its best maybe could be improved. I did a quick search and there has been previous trouble but note that I am not running Cumulus all the time and only at 10 min intervals from the station logger which may make a difference. How is it calculated, that would help to know. Or am I not seeing this right. There is website in the same suburb as me that reports correct rate but that is the Fine Offset which I think also has be calculated from that type of station. Would it be possible at some stage to do a similar calculation for the La Crosse, unless the calculation is correct.

Just a question. Thanks
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rain rate question

Post by steve »

Steve
Matt.j5b

Post by Matt.j5b »

Thanks for that Steve. If it use the rain in the last 5 minute does that work correct with the logger at 10 minute intervals. The example of 0.3 in 5 minutes gives 3.6 but why does my give 0.9 for the rain rate when we get 0.5 in the logger entry. Just wondering. Thank you.
Ferny Grove Weather
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

For data from the logger it can only use the logger interval, so it calculates the rate by the same method, but from the amount of rain in each logger entry and the logger interval.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you want me investigate this, you will have to give me something to work with. Zip up the diags folder and attach it, along with your December log file.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Based on what I've told you, do you think the calculated figures are about a third of what they should be?
Steve
Matt.j5b

Post by Matt.j5b »

Got that Steve. The bit I don't quite get is when I get 0.5 in 10 minutes logger entry how would that equal 0.9 per hour. Am I seeing this correctly. Would that equal 3mm/hour or have I got that wrong. Sorry I don't quite understand, that why I asked. Find files attached. your statement that they are third is correct but I see what you got to say. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ferny Grove Weather
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks - I see what the problem is; sorry for misunderstanding.

I've updated build 1026 with a fix, so if you download it from the downloads page now, you should get the version with the fix.
Steve
Matt.j5b

Post by Matt.j5b »

No that no problem Steve, thanks for top class support because I wanted to sort that out because I am thinking of starting a website and I want my data to be better. I guess not many use this station especially with the logger because not much of it is heard. Anyway I give that a go, I got some rain to download anyway so that sholud be a good test. Once again thanks, you done a great job.
Ferny Grove Weather
Matt.j5b

Post by Matt.j5b »

That worked perfect. Well Done :clap: :clap:
Ferny Grove Weather