Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost yesterdays recent extremes WS2350

flux
Weather Station: WS-3250
Operating System: Windows 7

Lost yesterdays recent extremes WS2350

Post by flux »

Hi,

For some reason I have lost all the yesterdays recent extremes in Cumulus using my La Crosse WS2350. I left it on all might the other week and all yesterdays info was in there the next morning but after I turned the pc off over night as usual, it was blank again the next morning.

What could be causing this?

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Lost yesterdays recent extremes WS2350

Post by steve »

Please zip up the diags folder and attach it.
Steve
flux

Post by flux »

Here you go Steve. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You have your station logger set to 1-minute intervals. Its memory holds 175 records, so at 1-minute intervals, that's about three hours. So when you started Cumulus up at around 06:20 today, the logger data only went back as far as about 03:20, so there was no data to cover the period since Cumulus was last running, in particular nothing for around midnight, so it didn't do the end of day rollover.

Cumulus assumes that it will always be able to download sufficient data to catch up from when it last ran, and that there's no point in doing the end of day rollover for an incomplete day. I think I changed it in 1.9.3 so that it does a rollover anyway if midnight has been missed, but the data won't be perfect as it's for an incomplete day.

If you have always turned your PC off overnight, then you will have always had this issue. There are presumably very few entries in dayfile.txt, and many of your highs and lows, and other figures (e.g. averages) will be invalid.
Steve
flux

Post by flux »

The funny thing is that I always shut my pc down at night around 10pm and started it up at around 6am give or take an hour. I have always had the yesterdays recent extremes show up without this problem until just before Christmas.

Because Cumulus doesn't support 1-wire I have been experimenting with Weather Display and Weather Display Live. I have found the software to be too complicated for me and have come back to using Cumulus and disconnecting the 1-wire setup for the time being. It is only since then that I have had this problem. Is it possible that the WD software have caused this?

I just had a look in Cumulus and the data log interval is set to 10 minutes and not 1 minute. You said it is set to 1 minute in the log. Is that correct and if it is, why does it show it set to 10 minutes in the station settings?

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The log interval in Cumulus is nothing to do with the log interval in the station (although it's a good idea to set them to the same value). Cumulus doesn't set the station log interval. I know next to nothing about WD, but I suppose it is possible that it does set the station logger interval - possibly to the same value as its own logger interval.
Steve
flux

Post by flux »

Steve, when you talk about the stations logger do you mean the La Crosse WS2350 itself? If yes do you have any idea what it might have been set to?

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

flux wrote:Steve, when you talk about the stations logger do you mean the La Crosse WS2350 itself?
Yes.
If yes do you have any idea what it might have been set to?
One minute.
Steve
flux

Post by flux »

I have managed to set it to 5 minutes for now. When I finally set a pc up in the garage to run 24/7 I will set it to the default 1 minute. Maybe I set the WS2350 to 5 minutes when I bought it and forgot. That would explain why it worked and then reset back to 1 minute after trying the other software and then it didn't.

Thanks Steve for your time and help.