Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Adding sunlight detection to Maplin N96GY

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Cashpot
Weather Station: Maplin
Operating System: XP

Adding sunlight detection to Maplin N96GY

Post by Cashpot »

I have just started out with a weather station and would like to be able to add some sort of daylight detection etc. I wondered if there might be a way to add this to the Maplin system? I am technically competent and did wonder if there might be any sort of hardware already provided for on the transmitter board? Indeed are there any circuit diagrams of this very popular system?
With thanks,
Ro
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Adding sunlight detection to Maplin N96GY

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. No, there is certainly no provision on the standard "Fine Offset" manufactured (Maplin) system. The "Solar" version uses totally different hardware with an additional wireless protocol (to handle the considerable extra data payload). You can find some details of the hardware in the "Photos of ..." sticky threads at the top of the Fine Offset section of this forum, and generally by searching for "1080" or "1081" (non-solar) and "3080" / "3081" (Solar) versions.

What features are important to you? e.g. Cost, Wireless or Wired, is local power available, is PC running 24/7, what to measure: Lux, Watts/sq metre, Ultra Violet, Infra Red, etc.? There have been several threads in this homebuilt section, including one which culminated in the Blake-Larson Sunrecorder.

However, I have been working (very slowly) on a low-cost "add on" for any of the above FO stations to specifically report "The sun is shining (or not)", i.e. data similar to that from the B-L recorder, which Cumulus supports. The (microcontroller) hardware design is nearly complete and I ultimately hope to report constructional details on this forum. But I'm afraid that there is still a very considerable amount of software to be developed, so please don't hold your breath for any final details.

Cheers, Alan.
Cashpot
Weather Station: Maplin
Operating System: XP

Re: Adding sunlight detection to Maplin N96GY

Post by Cashpot »

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Days were when you could get hold of a circuit diagram for most things - happy days!