Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Sunshine Recorder

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Sunshine Recorder

Post by PaulMy »

Now have 6 months of the Komoka sunrecorder data
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... ay_v1.html

Links to other sites on my http://www.komokaweather.com
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

41south
Weather Station: 1-wire Windblown solution
Operating System: Win XP

Post by 41south »

Just finished reading all 35 pages of this - excellent work guys!

I've also just entered my info to purchase one on the website. Did it ever get integrated into Cumulus?

Cheers
Colin.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Steve did add it to v.1.9.2 and it shows a sun icon on the console when the sun is shining and the hours of sunshine on the Today and Yesterday standard web templates.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi All

Firstly my good friend Ole has recently been hospitalised for a major bit of surgery but he is now recovering well. I'm sure I would speak for all those interested in the SR project that we wish him all the best.

It's been some time since we had an update on the project.

So here are a few comments from our world users:-

Well, I have nothing but praise for the sun recorder. It's beem running astoninglishly reliable, with no major hiccups. Only the odd power cut has lead to loss of data for short periods of time as I need to restart the software manually and can not always make my way straight away to the workplace where my weather station is located.

I have had the Sun Recorder installed for quite a while with no major problems

Our Sun Recorder has been working flawlessly since Mid-November, except by a minor software glitches, quickly addressed by the B+L Sun Recorder Team.

From my perspective the BL sunshine recorder is performing excellent

In my opinion, compared with visual observations in the field, the system is excellent and closely follows the variations of sunlight.

Regards

Alan
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi

Quick update - Ole has been home a few days and is recovering well - he's banned from any strenuous activity so the recorder project is getting a lot of attention.

Regards
Alan
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Glad to hear he is recovering OK :clap:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I'm also pleased to hear Ole is recovering well. What better way to spend a day than tinker with the sunshine recorder. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

smorris
Weather Station: Davis VP2 w/24FARS Solar L&S
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.3

Post by smorris »

Hello all,

I found my way here from a post on another forum, and registered so that I could read through the entire thread and view the photos and graphs. What and interesting device! It would be interesting to see comparisons with the VP2 solar sensor graph. I have my VP2 located in my garden, so the sensor curve shows a rapid drop off toward the end of the day as the sun goes behind a row of trees. One of the B-L sun recorders could be added on my roof for horizon to horizon exposure.

Are these units available for purchase now, or is it still in trials? If you need a trial in the central US (41˚N) I'd certainly be interested in the 75 GBP ($119 USD) trial unit.

I'd be curious to read how the unit performed in the Ontario testing, as we have snow/ice here several months of the year, and high humidity, which might cause misting inside the unit. I was encouraged early on in my reading that there would be a heated and aspirated model available in addition to the less expensive standard unit. But now seeing that the standard unit is 385 GBP plus 35 to ship, that's $668 USD for the basic unit. I'm not sure I want to know what the heated/aspirated model would cost! :yikes:

Thanks for a wonderful device. It was interesting to read the development, growing friendship, and then a business grow in just a few pages.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA
VP2 w/FARS, Solar, Leaf & Soil - WeatherCat
http://www.avon-weather.com
CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • Twitter
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Steve,
I'd be curious to read how the unit performed in the Ontario testing, as we have snow/ice here several months of the year, and high humidity, which might cause misting inside the unit.
I have the unit's graph for this past June, December and January on my website that may answer your question. The current software allows for more user data extraction but I have not tackled that as it stretches my ability so still using the console's history feature.

My unit has been extremely reliable and the only short periods of non-recording has been either my shutdown for burying the cable before winter and computer shutdown for maintenance. The sunshine recording has been spot on, or off, as the sunshine occurs or disappears behind clouds, etc. I do have sight line obstruction at sunrise and sunset which then shows as no sunshine recorded as can be seen on the daily graphs, but this is less obvious in the winter. I have intended to go to the Environment Canada station at CYXU here in London, Ontario to discuss their past use of sunrecording but have not yet found the opportunity.
What and interesting device! It would be interesting to see comparisons with the VP2 solar sensor graph.
I believe Ole in Denmark has the Davis VP2 with solar and he may be able to give you some information on this.

There are some SR pictures in my website's Pictures tab.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

Olejul
Weather Station: WS2350

Post by Olejul »

Correct - I do have a Davis with solar radiation sensor but problems are:

To use the solar radiation to detect sunshine requires a direct solar radiation sensor while the Davis is a global radiation sensor.

WMO has defined a threshold for sun shine as 120W/M2 direct radiation

Our sun recorder is a optical device and it does not 'see' the whole sky - only the part where the sun will be present at all seasons.

So to say it is a mixture of a direct and a global radiation sensor which makes a comparison between the Davis and our sun recorder difficult.

However: we have done a lot of work trying to establish a formula which could calculate the solar direct radiation based upon our sensor signal, but until now it has not been successful as we have no direct solar radiation data to compare with.

Sun recorder trials, sales prices and future developments:

We do have a representative number of trial units installed worldwide and we don't need any more at this time.

Yes - there is a significant price difference between the trial units and our present sales price - the payment for the trial units was only covering the direct material cost while the present sales price for obvious reasons includes overhead to cover for instance warranty and profit.

We do however believe that the price is very competitive taken the sales prices for other types of sun recorders into consideration.

We had the original idea to include both heaters and a small fan to ensure a good ventilation to keep the internal temperature at a reasonable low level and also to have some means of removing internal mist and external rime and snow.

Our present simplified model, which have holes for natural air ventilation, have however proved that such features are not required:

We have one installation just 10° north of equator and the highest internal temperature seen so far is about 50°C - the recorder has been tested in a standard kitchen oven at 80°C without problems.

My own installation has on several occasions been covered with rime during the two last winters and even then a fair bright sun rise were detected without any apparent delay.

The surface of the sun recorder is made of acrylic glass wherefore the surface is very smooth and also because of its tilt, I have not yet seen any build-up of a snow layer even at days with snow and no wind.

Hope this clarifies som the issues put forward by smooris.

Best regards
Ole
smorris

Post by smorris »

Thank you both for the information. I was aware that the sun recorder and the VP2 solar sensor are difficult to compare, as that was discussed elsewhere in the thread. I'll look at the information on both of your sites to see what you've experienced.

I realize costing for small production runs is high, as you can't take advantage of mass produced technologies, such as injection molding and such. I spent my career designing new products for professional tools, and know how expensive prototypes and small lots can be. I just was surprised that the finished product came out at over 400 GBP delivered, which is out of my price range.

Thanks for the replies,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA
CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • Twitter
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Steve,
Looks like I am just about 100 miles due north of you. If you want to tie down your mo'ped to a raft and paddle across the lake I'll pick you up at Port Stanley, but customs may be a problem :lol:

While we had an extremely mild winter we did have some snow and sleet storms, etc. likely similar to what you get and no issue what-so-ever with the B-L sunrecorder. We also had some near record heat last summer and again no issues with the unit: since the SR installation our high was 35.8°c/96.4°f in July and low only -19.4°c/-3.9°f in January.

BTW your Long Road Weather Station Sky Cam image is excellent.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

smorris

Post by smorris »

Hi Paul,

Ha! The BBC show Top Gear did exactly that a couple seasons ago. They strapped a Vespa to a raft to cross a lake in Vietnam. :D Customs? I'll just come ashore at a beach and be an illegal alien. Sort of the opposite of the rum runners that came south and landed on the beaches near me during prohibition. :)

Good to see that the sun recorder stands up to the extremes. That it can detect sunrise through Ole's rime ice is a testament to the quality. Both your high and low were more extreme than mine here last year.

Thanks for the comments on the web cams. The garden cam is an outdoor Sharx IP camera, but the resolution is less than I'd have liked. The sky cam is just a cheap Logitech Pro 9000 here in the windowsill beside my computer. It has good quality, but limited controls. I'm running it through my Mac, so it has no driver available. It has worked pretty well for the past six months, but recently has started locking up on me occasionally. Some times every few days, and sometimes several times a day. Makes the time-lapse videos worthless. (plus due to the high resolution, the time-lapse download takes a long time.

Thanks again,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

I have now completed the first full year of the B-L sunrecorder in Komoka, Ontario Canada. Except for a couple occasions were my computer stopped, and when I shut down for Windows updates, the B-L sunrecorder has been totally reliable and steadily recording the sunshine that we are enjoying. Here is a link to the monthly graphs: http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... ay_v3.html

Also
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... today.html
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... ays30.html
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... ths12.html

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...