IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Which Weather Station should I buy?

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
timhewison
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Which Weather Station should I buy?

Postby timhewison » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 pm

I too am in the market for a weather station, and would like to hear anyone's experience with the Oregon Scientific WMR88 - especially compared to the Fine Offset 3080, 1080 and WMR928.

e.g. Build quality, reliability, ease of interface to PC (or maybe Raspberry Pi).

Previously I have set up a WMR928 for my father-in-law, which has proved to be less than reliable over the years,
and a Fine Offset 1080 for my parents, which hasn't been too bad so far, despite being relatively cheap.
Now it's my turn...

I'd like a separable wind sensor to mount up high, a radiation sensor and the option to add other temperature sensors, such as pond, sauna, ....

I don't really want a display - I've already got a computer for that!

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Postby steve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 am

One important aspect of the WMR88 that you need to bear in mind is that it has no data logger, so needs a PC to be connected to it 24/7 or data is lost.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

timhewison
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby timhewison » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 am

steve wrote:One important aspect of the WMR88 that you need to bear in mind is that it has no data logger, so needs a PC to be connected to it 24/7 or data is lost.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I hope to set it up on a Raspberry Pi 24/7 - so I guess that means no Cumulus :(
Until it gets ported...

Return to “Homebuilt”