Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

My weather station.

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Crocko
Weather Station: WH-3081
Operating System: Win7 SP1

My weather station.

Post by Crocko »

Here is some photos of my weather station. Nothing special, just a WH-3081 and a Nylex 1000 (250ml) rain gauge. The annometer and sensor is mounted to a ~4m treated pine post with the sensor mounted ~2m from ground level - a little higher than should be, but at this height it gives a uninterrupted signal to the base unit (loss of signal).

The main reason for the photo is for my WH-3081 rain gauge mod. Taking a couple of examples/mods from others here on the forum (thanks to those), I've made this simple and cheap mod to my rain gauge. It consists of a 50x100mm drain-pipe outlet, a 80mm diameter adaptor and a 135mm funnel (the smallest 'single' funnel I could buy without buying a funnel 'kit'). All-up cost was about AUD$25.00 from Bunnings (Australia).

The outlet was simply glued to the original bucket and sealed with a UV resistant 'salastic'. The funnel was then inserted into the adapter and sealed with the above 'salistic'. The funnel/adapter simply slips on and off the outlet - easy for cleaning and maintenance.

After a couple of weeks 'calibrating' (trimming) the funnel, it now measures ~85mm. At present, my modified rain gauge is accurate to +/- 0.3mm (or one bucket tip) of the manual gauge - with NO calibration required from within Cumulus (rainfall = 1.000).

Cheers,
Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: My weather station.

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

Crocko wrote:Here is some photos of my weather station. Nothing special, just a WH-3081 and a Nylex 1000 (250ml) rain gauge. The annometer and sensor is mounted to a ~4m treated pine post with the sensor mounted ~2m from ground level - a little higher than should be, but at this height it gives a uninterrupted signal to the base unit (loss of signal).

The main reason for the photo is for my WH-3081 rain gauge mod. Taking a couple of examples/mods from others here on the forum (thanks to those), I've made this simple and cheap mod to my rain gauge. It consists of a 50x100mm drain-pipe outlet, a 80mm diameter adaptor and a 135mm funnel (the smallest 'single' funnel I could buy without buying a funnel 'kit'). All-up cost was about AUD$25.00 from Bunnings (Australia).

The outlet was simply glued to the original bucket and sealed with a UV resistant 'salastic'. The funnel was then inserted into the adapter and sealed with the above 'salistic'. The funnel/adapter simply slips on and off the outlet - easy for cleaning and maintenance.

After a couple of weeks 'calibrating' (trimming) the funnel, it now measures ~85mm. At present, my modified rain gauge is accurate to +/- 0.3mm (or one bucket tip) of the manual gauge - with NO calibration required from within Cumulus (rainfall = 1.000).

Cheers,
Bruce