Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Reed switch replacement

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Reed switch replacement

Post by laulau »

Hi,
I have a doubt on the proper functioning of the reed switch of my rain gauge.(Oregon ?WM918 connected to a WeatherDuino)
I plan to replace it, but which to choose? (voltage, current, etc.)
I have one from RS ref: 338-147, is this suitable ?
Thanks for your advices

Edit: the rain gauge is from an old WM918 cabled station
Laurent

AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Reed switch replacement

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Laurent,

Basically, you need the correct physical size and for it to be made by a "good" (e.g. branded) manufacturer*.

Sorry, I don't know the Oregon sensors, but I found this from CPC to be perfect for the Fine Offset sensors.

The rated current and voltage are unlikely to be significant, but the "Senistivity" (Ampere Turns) and "Mechanical Life" might be relevant when comparing possible devices. I suggest you measure the length of the glass body and try to find a reed switch with similar specified dimensions (Edit: and a Mechanical Life around 10^9 operations).

* When I needed a replacement reed, I noticed that the "Door/Window Alarms" available at "Two for a Pound" from a well-known store here, happened to contain reeds of identical size to the Fine Offset Wind/Rain sensors. So it seemed an "easy" and cheap source, with extra "free" parts such as an acoustic "sounder" and batteries, etc.. But to cut a long story short, the reeds lasted less than one day before the contacts lost their "spring". :(

Cheers, Alan.