Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Davis TH sensor

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

New Davis TH sensor

Post by mcrossley »

So I see Davis have released a new more accurate temperature/humidity sensor based on the new Sensirion SHT31. It is paired with new transmitter board firmware, but it will work with older boards if you use a 0.5 C offset in the console.

Before you DIYers rush out and buy one to play with, Sensirion have announced that there will be an even more accurate SHT35 available "second quarter 2016".

Interesting stuff.
Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Re: New Davis TH sensor

Post by Adrian Hudson »

Hi Mark,

I can't find anything about this. Have you got any links you can post please?

Thanks
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Adrian, there is a thread on this subject on the WX Forum.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I've just noticed, the new SHT31 sensors are only £2.70 at Farnell!
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by laulau »

But the minimum order quantity is 150 !
Laurent

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ah, yes, good spot. It is £3.82 for 1, still pretty cheap.

http://uk.farnell.com/sensirion/sht31-d ... 4218/false

Sensirion have released the SHT35 spec sheets as well now, not sure when they will be available though.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

mcrossley wrote:So I see Davis have released a new more accurate temperature/humidity sensor based on the new Sensirion SHT31. It is paired with new transmitter board firmware, but it will work with older boards if you use a 0.5 C offset in the console.
Definitely a much better sensor than the SHT75. The response of the sensor is fantastic. Today is a "well mixed" day atmospherically speaking, and the sensor is picking up much more detail of the humidity variations you can expect to see in these conditions. I'm well chuffed :-)
Freddie
belfryboy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 envoy 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by belfryboy »

Unfortunately the sensor that Davis use is the sht31-LSS legacy protocol sensor which is not readily available. The sensors on Farnell are the SHT31-DI i2c protocol and will not work with the VP2.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yep, I've tried to source them, no luck so far...
belfryboy

Post by belfryboy »

And for those who are considering building your own sensor, this should only be attempted if you are experienced at very small surface mount soldering. The chip measures 3x3 mm and has 8 pads that require connecting. I have over 20 years experience doing this sort of thing and have found this one particularly challenging.
duke

Post by duke »

belfryboy wrote:And for those who are considering building your own sensor, this should only be attempted if you are experienced at very small surface mount soldering. The chip measures 3x3 mm and has 8 pads that require connecting. I have over 20 years experience doing this sort of thing and have found this one particularly challenging.
Guess we'll be waiting for you to make them available to us then ;)
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Perhaps worth noting that Davis seem to have had a major rethink about pricing on replacement T/H sensors. No idea why, but it's obviously got to be good news for users. The UK SSP on 7346.074, which contains the new SHT31 sensor, is £45 inc VAT. (Admittedly set before the recent devaluation of Sterling, so could be subject to revision).

Couple of further notes, in case anyone is unaware:

1. While the .074 part is plug compatible with post-2005 but pre-AS revision VP2 stations, it does require a 0.5C temperature offset entering in the console. ('AS' being the VP2 revision at which the SHT31 became standard and which uses a slightly updated SIM board design.)

2. There is also 7346.221 part (but we're still awaiting delivery of these), which is as per the .074 part but with the sensor on a 25ft cable and so the sensor could in principle be located some way away from the ISS, eg in a traditional Stevenson screen.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
belfryboy wrote:And for those who are considering building your own sensor, this should only be attempted if you are experienced at very small surface mount soldering. The chip measures 3x3 mm and has 8 pads that require connecting. I have over 20 years experience doing this sort of thing and have found this one particularly challenging.
Thanks to the Meteocercal forum, this might avoid a lot of grief for us DIY builders. £10 seems quite reasonable, especially as you don't have to wait for a shipment from China, and it's available in both digital (I2C bus) and analogue versions (but I don't know if that's compatible with the "LSS" version required for Davis').

However, I don't know if that "breakout" board (available with or without RA pins) can accommodate the "weather screen" required for more arduous external applications.

Cheers, Alan.
belfryboy

Post by belfryboy »

Unfortunately those are not compatible with the legacy LSS protocol.