Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3081 and Pi Maybe

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
wimmera
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH3081
Operating System: Windows 8.1

WH3081 and Pi Maybe

Post by wimmera »

Hi
I got my Fine Offset WH3081 before realizing the issue of the USB connection.

But hopefully I have found a easy fix by plugging a passive device beside the USB connection on the Raspberry Pi.

Just wondering if others have had similar results and or have a technical response as to how this has helped.

My weather station is the FineOffset WH3081 with the solar charging, I have it connected to Raspberry Pi III (jessie) loaded with CumulusMX and is running headless. This is powered through a power bank although I have left the batteries in the weather station. It has been reliable uploading to Weather Underground for 10 days now touch wood all's well.
I tried the many combinations of things with different settings,locations, USB cables and Ferrite Filters. All to no a vale until I plunged a cheap wired mouse into the Pi in the socket above the weather stations connection which has brought about a reliable connection. The Mouse has a permanent Led on which annoyed me so I tried an old Web cam (not even configured to work) and the reliable connect remains.
Also I am using the original USB cable with a added Ferrite filter each end and have set CumulusMX to not sync Fineoffset reads (SyncFOReads=0).

Maybe this is just a solution for my specific station.

Anyway thanks Sandy for Cumulus and I put this post up in the hope it may help others sort there Fineoffset USB issues.
Cheers
Wimmera
WimT
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Raspberry B+, Noobs, CumulusMX

Re: WH3081 and Pi Maybe

Post by WimT »

Hi Wimmera,

Like to give you response, it is also my first message on this interesting website.

My old colleague and i we bought (July 2016) 2 sets of the Fineoffset WH3080 also with solar-charging, both sets
are working in combination with Raspberry B+ using wifi and CumulusMX.
Both sets WH3080 are installed on different locations in the same city, both sets had USB-lock problems.
Despite our installed ferrite coils, change power supplys, this did not solve the USB-lock.

Our solution until now :roll:
We found out (very important) the original USB-cable from supplier (both sets) the usb-cable it contains no
shielding!, this can be tested simple with multi-meter (ohm) measuring the shielding!
We both use now other USB-cables with correct shielding.
Also the latest Raspberry update seems to be very important, since we both did the latest update the USB-lock did not
came back for 3 weeks.

With kind regards,
Wim

Dear Wimmera and readers,
Unfortunately on sunday 06/11/16 the USB-lockup came back into my WH8030 :( , the set of my colleague WH8030 is still working (fingers crossed), My WH8030 had a lockup checked by the Easyweather plus software, the easyweather good not connect with the faulty baseset WH8030 and also reset off/on/off/on the application on the windows10 desktop pc.

Only a hard reset (disconnect USB and battery) could restart the USB connection.
For me this WH8030 is still not reliable, we have to find another solution.

With kind regards,
Wim
wimmera
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH3081
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: WH3081 and Pi Maybe

Post by wimmera »

Thanks for your response
I have also had a recent USB lock up. Reset with Up Arrow for 20 Sec got it gong again.

My Next plan assuming a lock up occurs while keeping my original passive device attached is :-

"sync Fineoffset reads" again
Different cable again
Raspberry Pi update

This all takes a long time to prove anything waiting a couple of weeks for a USB lock up. Prior to attaching a passive device I was only getting about 2 days.
I started this as a useful project to get to know the Raspberry Pi at times I have questioned my abilities it certainly has been a challenge but then to be fair from what I can see no one has a definitive answer to the USB lockup issue short of a tricky work around to have an auto restart which for me would create other issues.

Cheers