Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Parts for Sale/Wanted

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
aparsons
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: MacOSX

Parts for Sale/Wanted

Post by aparsons »

Am after a 433MHz transmitter for a WH3080 if anyone has one.
Thanks,
Andrew
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Re: Parts for Sale/Wanted

Post by Super-T »

Possibly but I moved house recently so not sure where it is at present.

Will look later and let you know.
A bit far away in NZ though.
Super-T

Post by Super-T »

Found it.

The reason I have this is that I bought a ws1093 and it was nothing but trouble dropping signal.
I don't know if this would work with the 3080....perhpas AlleyCat would know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

No, I'm fairly sure that it's not compatible with the 308x, certainly not worth the risk of shipping from NZ, without a lot more discussion/investigation.

But we can start with a very simple check. Look inside the "Rain" socket of the transmitter and see if there are 4 or 6 "gold wires". The Solar-compatible transmitters will have 6 because there are 6 cores in the cable (although only 5 are used).

I couldn't see in the original photo (on my PC screen) but Paintshop Pro has done an excellent job and I think we can say that yours has only four wires.
WH14contacts.jpg
I presume this follows on from the discussion in the Photos of ..... sticky in the FO section and I can really only reiterate my suggestions there:

1. Check if Signatrol have a "compatible" spare part. Or,

2. a. Use a "Maplin" transmitter with the Rain cable plugged directly into the transmitter. However, it will not transmit the two additional data packets for the Solar Data and the RCC. But as has been discussed elsewhere, the RCC can actually be a negative feature.
b. Wire a pair of NiMH AAA cells inside the Solar Pod (2 x AAA battery holders are easily available, but do require a fair amount of "surgery" on the inside plastics moulding of the Pod base).
c. Add a 434 MHz transmitter module inside the Solar Pod.
d. Adapt the Pod to attach directly onto the Wind mast. I used one of the "arms" for the transmitter or rain sensor (since neither is really best located on that mast), coupled by a short length of plastic tube (water pipe).

I've done the above as a trial and it's probably an easier modification than extending the Solar Pod cable. IMHO the External Temperature sensor/Transmitter really needs to be located in a "shadly" position and not below the Pod.

Cheers, Alan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aparsons
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: MacOSX

Post by aparsons »

Many thanks for taking the trouble Terry but I think as Alan says it will not give me all the data or facilities, plus the shipping, terrorism checks, x-raying, customs etc (how did we get to this state?) from NZ and then the same again if have to send it back doesn't really make it a goer. At the moment I have the Maplin transmitter which uses ordinary batteries and sends wind and temp which is fine for now - especially as it is raining outside.
I have too many things (including a hovercraft) which require surgery which I'm working my way through, so I'll avoid the modification option for the moment. But thanks for all the info.
Andrew
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Perhaps somebody else will have a spare transmitter? The "6 contacts" in the Rain socket is a clear identifier and absolute necessity, but not a complete guarantee that it will be compatible. However, the solar (data) models post-date the "wireless protocol" change, and I can't say that I've ever seen an 868 or 915 MHz "Solar" transmitter (but I'm prepared to be proved wrong on that). Also, I don't know how many contacts the "Solar Charging" (only) versions use.

But if you have a soldering iron, then you could order a transmitter module from China (via ebay) for a quid (99p) and it will probably have arrived before you want to use it. Another quid for a pair of AAA NiMH from a Pound store and one more for a battery holder (ebay again) when required, and you're virtually there. The Pod can still sit on top of the transmitter (without any cable connected) if you must. ;)

Of course the main transmitter batteries won't be charged by the sun, but a pair of (non-rechargeable) Lithium AAs (by far the most expensive part of this proposal) will probably run for longer than those horrid ("Rechargeable Alkaline"s) that FO supply. :(

Cheers, Alan.
Super-T

Post by Super-T »

Yup....only 4 wires.