Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1.9.4 protocol

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Cumulus 1.9.4 protocol

Post by malc-c »

I'm looking at developing my own weather station using the sensors that came with an old Maplin station and some digital one wire sensors for temperature etc. The idea is to have all the sensors hardwired into a box containing a PIC micro, with the data being written to an eprom, which would then be read and the data transmitted to a PC to be read by Cumulus 1.9.4.

Whilst the way the sensors work have been documented, what I cant seem to find is how Cumulus reads data from the base station such as the FO / Maplin units. Ideally I would like to use old fashioned serial communications between the PIC and PC to send the data, but would like to know if this is possible.

Any pointers would be welcome

Malc
Regards

Malcolm
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus 1.9.4 protocol

Post by mcrossley »

Have a search of the forum, this has come up before - and been done before, see weather arduino etc.

The FO data is from the reading of memory locations over USB. You'd be better looking at the Davis serial protocol which is well documented by the manufacturer.
malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Re: Cumulus 1.9.4 protocol

Post by malc-c »

Thanks Mark,

I tried a search, but the results were more to do with the protocol between the TX and RX units rather than to the PC..

Sounds like the Davies serial data would be a better bet.
Regards

Malcolm