Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

what station I think i've tried the lot

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
trebor
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: windows

what station I think i've tried the lot

Post by trebor »

Hi all, over the years I have had lots of cheap Chinese clone stations from maplin, they all last a year or two, I then tried the more expensive maplin n23dq two died in 18 months :cry:
so next came a davis vantage vue, this has now got problems with water ingress and killing batteries every 3 months it's about 16 months old :groan:

So the questions are, what is a reliable station? what do I get next ? am I expecting to much from them?

any brand anybody would recommend, any sensors that last and can be put together easily either swapped into a clone station or a pi
I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
Suggestions very welcome please
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: what station I think i've tried the lot

Post by ConligWX »

trebor wrote:so next came a davis vantage vue, this has now got problems with water ingress and killing batteries every 3 months it's about 16 months old :groan:
and have you claimed a warranty call on your Davis? they come with 2 year warranty.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Davis Vantage Pro 2. Here's my history...

1) Purchased VP2 with additional wireless anemometer transmitter in April 2009.

2) First failure of anemometer in December 2013 when cups broke in a 52mph gust. Replacements provided FOC but new anemometer purchased for continuity of records. Original kept as backup.

3) Anemometer needed repairing in March 2017 after dirt ingress into cup bearings. Returned for FOC repair with new designed bearings. Original put up for continuity of records.

And that's it. Original ISS still running as is the anemometer transmitter. Continuous records kept since 10 May 2009. The weak element appears to be the anemometer but to Davis's credit they have continued to tweak the design and my UK supplier (ProData) has been very helpful.

Running a station is always going to involve maintenance costs but I would class the VP2 as very reliable with the exception of the anemometer which continues to have its design modified to make it as robust as possible.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Orkney is very hard on weather stations.
Steve
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I am not in a windy climate like Orkney, and not close to a sea - if you don't include the Great Lakes, but do get temperature from over 35°C to -30°C, and feet of snow and blizzards. My VP2 will be 10 years old in July and has stood there for all that time just working fine with all I've ever done is change the ISS battery twice, just because I thought I should after the last one was in nearly 7 years. Oh, the wind had blow out and I lost that old style rain gauge screen several years ago :( My experience with Davis station: EXCELLENT!

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

trebor
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: windows

Post by trebor »

Toxic17 wrote:
trebor wrote:so next came a davis vantage vue, this has now got problems with water ingress and killing batteries every 3 months it's about 16 months old :groan:
and have you claimed a warranty call on your Davis? they come with 2 year warranty.
it has been sent back today to be checked. I'm not sure what if anything can be done about water ingress, it's just bad design, but i'll see what is said.

I did think about a vp2 but after the poor experience with the vue i'm not inclined to give davis even more money, which leaves me stuck, I just don't know what to try next, I think it'll be cheap fine offset clones and just consider them disposable, unless someone suggests another make.
jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Post by jdc »

FWIW......
I've had an Instromet station since 1995. I'm on my second anemometer, temp sensor and solar sensor. The display (electromechanical) is still fine and only downside is that it is cabled. Logger runs 24/7 for months with no problems.

Davis VP2 with remote anemometer and soil sensors has been flawless since 2011. I only bought it so that I could use Cumulus.
I'm on an exposed site, near the sea.

So there is probably a certain amount of 'you get what you pay for'.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

jdc wrote:So there is probably a certain amount of 'you get what you pay for'.
I think the Vue was built for the interested amateur as opposed to the VP2 which is aimed more at the enthusiastic amateur. No water ingress into either of my transmitters and I live near Manchester :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

My experience with both the Vantage Vue and VP2 hasn't been good. The VP2 has been dire to put it bluntly. I got it on March 1st 2016, I have gone through 3 anemometers, a solar sensor and a rain gauge in that time. If something fails again, i'm not replacing it anymore, i'll let it die.
Turvey
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Turvey »

steve wrote:Orkney is very hard on weather stations.

Certainly is! :roll: :evil: