Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Replacement for the standard rain gauge ... ???

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Replacement for the standard rain gauge ... ???

Post by odintheterrible »

Greetings one and all,

Since relocating to Spain our WS3083 (Fineoffset) the station has been operating reasonably well ... except for the standard rain gauge.

It works OK when the rain is fairly constant and heavy, but this Spring has been relatively dry, with what can only be best termed as light mizzal/drizzle which is enough to leave small pools of water on the swimming pool cover, and the patio tiles to be visibly wet/damp etc ... but the rain gauge on the weather station (standard tipping bucket type) seems incapable of registering it.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a stand-alone rain gauge but before I do that, I would be interested to know if anyone has discovered or made a suitable replacement for the standard Fineoffset unit or if there is a modification which will improve the accuracy of the standard unit ??

Thanks
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Replacement for the standard rain gauge ... ???

Post by sfws »

You might want to read an old topic https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6941 about accuracy
or https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5630 about modifications
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Replacement for the standard rain gauge ... ???

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I did experiment with adding a 14 cm diameter plastic funnel above the normal FO rain sensor with the aim of achieving 0.1mm per tip. But to be honest it was rather a failure because the rain collected in beads in the funnel (even though it had much steeper sides than the FO) and didn't give an earlier warning of the onset of rain. I guess it might be equally unsuccessful recording small showers in low humidity, with the droplets evapourating before running down into the sensor.

I had planned to experiment with a metal funnel and/or a water-dispersant such as "Rain-X", but sorry, not tried yet.

Another possibility might be the Hydreon RG11 rain sensor which was discussed on the forum some years ago and is supported in real time (no logger) by Cumulus 1. Ideal for an "it's (started) raining" warning or it can emulate a ridiculously small tipping bucket (0.01 mm or less). But it's unlikely to have the accuracy of a tipping bucket and requires a significant power supply, not compatible with a simple battery power supply, even with a modest solar panel.

Cheers, Alan.