Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH2080 hangs up and memory lockup

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
mtekieli
Weather Station: WH2080
Operating System: Windows 10

WH2080 hangs up and memory lockup

Post by mtekieli »

Dear all,

I need your help since my weather station WH2080 stopped working correctly. I noticed that a short time before failure some oscilations occured in the temperature, pressure and humidity charts - you can see it in the atteched file.

After that, my station can't work properly longer than few hours. Sometimes connection between PC and the station hangs up after only one or two readings (5-10 mins). I've readed the topic about USB lockup but anything there can't help me. In my case memory round chart on the console never fills up and the highest value of readings before hang up I've reached is about 150. Now it's at most 10. I've also disabled "suspending USB devices in windows". Beforte this failure my station have worked correctly for 3 years. I've tried to change the batteries in the console and in the outdoor sensor but without luck. BTW connection between station and the outdoor sensor works fine till the hang up.

Can you please tell where can look for the source of this problem? I will be grateful for any help.

Best regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: WH2080 hangs up and memory lockup

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. You might find more information in the Fine Offset section of the forum.

Maybe you have a (new) local Radio Frequency Interference problem, or maybe the station (Console or more usually the Transmitter) has become faulty (not that uncommon with these low cost stations).

I'm not clear if you're fully resetting the Console, but the "memory pie chart" will normally take a long time to fill up anyway. But you could temporarily use Steve's "Setlogger Utility" (in the Downloads section) to reduce the logging interval of the Console to 1 minute, to check if data is being stored.

Personally, I would start by disconnecting the USB cable and testing purely the Transmitter/Console. Is Temperature, Humidity , Wind and Rain data being received reliably (no dashes on the Console)? Note that pressure is measured within the Console. With the 2080 you don't need to remove the Console batteries to "synchronise" to the Transmitter, you can hold in the <down arrow> button for at least 8 seconds.

Cheers, Alan.
mtekieli
Weather Station: WH2080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by mtekieli »

Thank you very much for your help AllyCat.

I didn't know about "Setlogger Utility". I've downloaded it and set recording interval for 1 minute but without luck. My station have worked couple of hours, I've seen that memory chart is filling up but after 5, maybe 6 hours recording has stopped.

Interesting thing is that when I push button "arrow down" for 8 seconds as you said, my station can update outdoor temperature, outdoor humidity and wind/gust speed but it can't update indoor temperature and indoor humidity... Connection between console and outdoor sensor is set up very fast (20-30 seconds).

What can I add is that I think it can't be USB problem since the station is now disconeccted from PC and powered by batteries.

I've read similar topics once again but any solution didn't help :|
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

FO stations are known for lockups. adding a "Powered" USB Hub can help and so can a USB cable with Ferrite cores on each end. and changing to a better cable may help too. you are however better to use a PC to power the console rather than batteries alone.

Also since you using Windows 10.

disable Hibernation
disable Power management on USB devices (in device manger)
make sure your Power scheme is set for High Performance.

How far is your Weather station from your Console, and is there any serious radio interference nearby, walls, transmitters etc.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •