Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Yet another Windvane Mod

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Yet another Windvane Mod

Post by steve »

I think this is why wind direction graphs are normally done as point/scatter charts rather than line charts. You still get the dots spread between the top and bottom of the graph when it's around north, but you don't get the odd joining lines.
Steve
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Yes, I agree, scatter plots avoid this problem to an extent but from my research they are not considered as readable as a line plot.

I have a couple of ideas I'm looking at.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

That 355 degrees / 05degrees thing is a tricky one. I have no idea how that could be solved. I'd be interested to know what Gina is thinking of as a solution.

Actually, come to think of it, that wind rose thing on the Cumulus screen does seem to be a way out. I'm assuming the length of the spikes represents the time the wind came from the particular direction.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

EvilV wrote:Actually, come to think of it, that wind rose thing on the Cumulus screen does seem to be a way out. I'm assuming the length of the spikes represents the time the wind came from the particular direction.
It takes speed into account, as well as length of time. And they're not supposed to be spikes; they become spikes because of the Fine Offset design problem where it mostly only reports 8 compass directions. You can make it look more like it's supposed to look by choosing 8 wind rose points in the display settings.
Steve
Gina

Post by Gina »

EvilV wrote:That 355 degrees / 05degrees thing is a tricky one. I have no idea how that could be solved. I'd be interested to know what Gina is thinking of as a solution.
I'll do a bit of experimenting before I make a total fool of myself :lol: It's certainly a tricky one!
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
EvilV

Post by EvilV »

Gina wrote:
EvilV wrote:That 355 degrees / 05degrees thing is a tricky one. I have no idea how that could be solved. I'd be interested to know what Gina is thinking of as a solution.
I'll do a bit of experimenting before I make a total fool of myself :lol: It's certainly a tricky one!
I can't imagine anyone less likely to 'make a fool' of themselves. Now me - that's a different story.
EvilV

Post by EvilV »

steve wrote:
EvilV wrote:Actually, come to think of it, that wind rose thing on the Cumulus screen does seem to be a way out. I'm assuming the length of the spikes represents the time the wind came from the particular direction.
It takes speed into account, as well as length of time. And they're not supposed to be spikes; they become spikes because of the Fine Offset design problem where it mostly only reports 8 compass directions. You can make it look more like it's supposed to look by choosing 8 wind rose points in the display settings.
Thanks Steve.

I'm ashamed to admit that I only use the software to make the link between my gadget and the Wunderground, so I only look at the laptop that runs it as a server about once a week. I did find the software very versatile to set up the parameters that I wanted though. It also runs in an extremely stable and reliable way.
Gina

Post by Gina »

EvilV wrote:I can't imagine anyone less likely to 'make a fool' of themselves.
Thank you for your vote of confidence :)

One thing I was thinking of was to "look" at adjacent points and try to determine the relative movement by seeing which way gives the smallest movement. eg. 14 15 0 1 15 14 which is NW NNW N NNE NNW NW The change from 15 to 0 or NNW to N is actually only a one point change and not 15. Similarly. 1 to 15 is actually NNE to NNW, 2 points change rather than 14.

A possible snag with this is that the direction may be more than one rotation in the time scale covered. There is no reason why this should not occur in reality particularly in light and variable winds. Two ways of representing this 1) Let the y scale cover more than 360 degrees or 2) Show a step or break in the trace. Actually, Force 0 or 1 variable, calm or light, really could do without any points plotted - a break in the graph. I don't currently know how to do this in gnuplot (the graph plotting app I'm using).
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I've got this working in principle - now need to change the y-axis labels to compass points. And I could add some averaging (smoothing) now too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I decided to keep the 360 degrees range and to choose which compass point to centre it on and allow an end-to-end jump where the plot covers more than 360 degrees over it's time range. The first plot shows a 24 hour time scale.
24hrs-wind-dir-E.png
The plot below is for 7 days and shows a jump for Tuesday, 23 March.
7days-wind-dir.png
For the 28 day plot I decided to leave the data as the daily average but use steps instead of a straight line connection between points.
28days-wind-dir.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

Nice job Gina :clap:
====
Alan
Gina

Post by Gina »

Thank you :)
Gina

scientistuk
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Win XP and Ubuntu Linux

Post by scientistuk »

my god the things we do to mod our fine offsets :P . brill idea but sure your neighbours think u got a screw loose with part of a frying pan up there lol
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Post by harrym1byt »

EvilV wrote:Also, might not damping prevent the vane moving in light very light winds?
It should make no difference at all. Eddy current damping only works to resist movement, when the movement is brisk. No attempt to move means the damping level is zero. It acts like a motor or generator, which has been shorted out - the harder you try to turn it, the more it will resist the movement. Turn it very slowly and there will be very little resistance.

I like the idea by the way.
sanramonrover
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: dreaded Win 7

Post by sanramonrover »

And yet another mod to the windvane!

Research for photos of professional units on the web usually show that the tail vane is a GREAT distance from the pivot point, while the counter weight at the pointy end is very close to the pivot.

Our units don't have room to make the tail much longer without interferring with the anemometer.

So I used a few bits of electrical conduit to raise the vane well above the anemometer. Then added a very crude long tail piece to the original.
Image Added weights taped to the pointy end to balance everything. It is not aesthetic yet, but seems to stop some 'windmilling'...

Now the only problem is my transmitter has lost contact with the receiver so often I can't tell if it really works or not. :evil:
New batteries, cleaned contacts, replugged everything but still no regular contact. Maybe another dead 1081 :roll: