Sandaysoft

Support forum for Cumulus weather station software
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:37 am
Please click here before posting. Help me to help you!
Useful Links: Cumulus FAQ • Enhancement requests • Wiki (documentation) • Downloads
Please put your approximate location into your profile • Add your personal web site to the Cumulus user map
Read the Announcements and News section regularly!
Do not allow your PC to go into standby mode while Cumulus is running - read the readme.txt!
If you find Cumulus useful, please consider a donation -

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New be Just starting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 am 

Weather Station: FO WH1081PC (Maplin)
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP
I think using a 7in funnel gives a good compromise. I've now gone a stage further and using a 10in funnel which on initial calibration gives 0.045 mm per bucket tip. It now responds to light showers and even a heavy dew. For the 7in funnel, a 5 litre plastic paint/preserver bucket (upside down) makes a good housing and support for the funnel. For the 10in I'm using a farm cattle lick bucket - you'd need to know(or be) a farmer to get that.

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 am 

Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Mac OSx & Win 7
Question ... I know this has bee discussed many times but I am not sure I have seen a definitive answer.....If I were to add a 7 inch funnel, do I need to change any of the calibration settings in Cumulus to compensate for a over-sized collecting device? If I do, how do I calculate the figure to use? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:36 am 
Cumulus Author

Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows Home Server 2011
daj wrote:
If I were to add a 7 inch funnel, do I need to change any of the calibration settings in Cumulus to compensate for a over-sized collecting device? If I do, how do I calculate the figure to use? :?:

Yes. You need to apply a calibration setting equivalent to the ratio of the old to new funnel cross-sectional areas. So if you double the area, you need a calibration setting of 0.5, because it now takes half as much rainfall to tip the bucket.

Like Cumulus and want to support it? Please donate! Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:18 pm 

Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Windows XP
The diameter of mine is 138.8mm (3 times the original area) and after months of fine tuning, a calibration of .35 exactly matches my manual rain gauges.

Phil

Crafers Weather Station & Webcam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:29 pm 

The calibration required is the ratio of old rain collection area to new. The old area is approximately 11x5 cm giving 55 sq. cm. The new area is given by the area of the top of the funnel. Being circular this is calculated by squaring the radius and multiplying by Pi (a mathematical/engineering constant of about 3.142). Thus for a 7in (17cm internal diameter) the radius is 8.5cm and the area works out at 227 sq. cm. Therefore, the calibration value is 55/227=0.24.

This simply converts the rain data values as a result of the bigger funnel. Many of us have used a manual rain gauge at the same time as taking the automatic values and comparing the two, as Phil (hills) has just said. Cheap rain gauges are available from garden centres. I found my first rain gauge was reading low by about 30%. The new one is more accurate. So with the old gauge and a 7 inch funnel my calibration worked out at 0.33 (ie. 0.1mm per bucket tip). Rather than the 0.24 if the gauge had been correct.

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:02 pm 

Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Win7
My rough and ready solution for a funnel was to cut down a 3 litre plastic juice bottle (rectangular in section) and duct tape it to the gauge, with the sawn-off neck facing down. The area increased by 2.45x, and the steep sides stop splatter loss.

The calibration has been tweaked a few times to try to make it agree with a manual rain gauge, but as they differ in location and height above ground (neither ideal) there will always be differences.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 am 

Weather Station: Smart Weather 2080
Operating System: Win XP
Hi All
I haven't vanished into thin air, or fallen off the roof trying to put the weather station up. It just hasn't arrived yet, which is a pity because I am going to Carne tomorrow where the camera is. I was hoping to have everything ready to rock and role this weekend. Ah well life can be hard when you have to travel on your own 100 miles to a tiny village with a cracking pub LOL

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm 

:clap: Its here and I am starting to configure it. I must be missing something important because my graphs are not showing where they should on the net. They are being uploaded but not on the gauges page http://www.carnebeach.com/gauges.htm
any suggestions. Oh I am on running win 7 but the computer on site will be win xp

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:27 pm 
Cumulus Author

JohnDon wrote:
I must be missing something important because my graphs are not showing where they should on the net.
You don't appear to have carried out the installation procedure on your web site as described in the help file under 'setting up your web site'. There's also information in the wiki - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Simple_Website_setup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:19 am 

Thanks for that, it seems like I have everything working except the NOW button. When I click on it, it takes me to carnebeach.com/index.htm but there is nothing on that page. I know I am an idiot sometimes

John

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:38 am 
Cumulus Author

The problem is that you appear to have a directory called index.htm in the root of your web space, so this is preventing the Cumulus index.htm page from being displayed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 am 

Steve you are only magic, Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 am 

You could spend hours playing with the website, well this is my latest handy work http://www.weather.carnebeach.com We had our first rain yesterday and it worked fine but I will be building a new rain gauge like you pointed out earlier in 2 weeks. I have been reading on Solar Radiation but I am still not sure if I need to buy something to get this to work
Oh whats the standard Donation?
Oh here is what I have been at for the past 2 years with great success thank god http://www.ldndatabase.com/ourstory.html

John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 am 

What a very heartwarming story :) But what tremendous worry you both must have gone through. To get control of such advanced cancer is terrific :) Well done! But how is your wife feeling? I know that many cancer treatments are extremely unpleasant and severely reduce the quality of life. I think we all know people who have cancer and/or died from it. Several of my friends have it, some in remission, some have died. My aunt died of it, a cousin died from it and another is in long term remission. I feel lucky that it doesn't seem to have come down my mother's side of the family.

My very best wishes to you both for the future :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am 

Thanks Gina
I dont want to upset the moderators by posting here and if you want to ask any questions please just email me. I am a member of so many cancer groups where I learn about alternative treatments and help new people to learn but the biggest part of our fight is a tiny tablet that costs 1 euro a day and is available all over the world for the past 20 odd years. I have never addressed a group of people in my life and on Saturday I am going to Birmingham to discuss my wife's story to 200 people at a conference.
My wifes quality of life is great, not quite what it was 2 years ago as she spends a little more time in bed than she used to. She is now going mad at me because she has put on so much weight "women" LOL she was a size 12 and now a size 16, we are now trying to address that. I have met all sorts on the net over the past 2 years, made some great friends and have doctors from around the world ringing me to see how my wife is doing, I even met one guy who wanted to charge me 400USD for telling me the name of a website, fat chance,
If you know people with cancer or in remission, tell them about Low Dose Naltrexone http://www.ldninfo.org. I dont sell or have anything to do with any drug company I am just like any of you but just went through a roller coaster ride with my wife for 2 years
my email john at carnebeach.com
Thanks again
now back to the weather before I get barred
John