Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

1-wire info and recommendations

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: 1-wire info and recommendations

Post by Gina »

Further to the above... I've now tried a number of Hobby Board items and get the same result each time. It would seem they are not currently selling to the UK. This is what they say about shipping :-
Shipping: We use the US Postal Service for shipping. Shipping cost (both domestic and international) will be calculated at checkout. You can also get a shipping estimate at any time by viewing your shopping cart and using the shipping calculator. We charge actual shipping costs, plus a small packaging and handling fee. If you order Global Express please make sure to include your phone number.
I've underlined international.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by malc-c »

Gina, it might be that as it's Sunday and they need to give the exact cost of shipping overseas and can't do so that's why they are not processing international orders. It might be worth trying to place the order on Tuesday when (possibly) the offices are manned
Regards

Malcolm
Gina

Post by Gina »

malc-c wrote:Gina, it might be that as it's Sunday and they need to give the exact cost of shipping overseas and can't do so that's why they are not processing international orders. It might be worth trying to place the order on Tuesday when (possibly) the offices are manned
Could be - yes, I'll try later. Thanks :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by malc-c »

Not sure if this is of any help, but googling turned up a surplus supplier which seemed to have supplies available. However the min order seems to be £150, but then I'm sure if you bought up the stock you could recover some cost by reselling them as it seems that there is still a demand for this chip, especially in the DIY weather station community :)

here (hopefully) is the link http://www.oraclecomponents.co.uk/parts ... &search=Go!
Regards

Malcolm
Gina

Post by Gina »

malc-c wrote:Not sure if this is of any help, but googling turned up a surplus supplier which seemed to have supplies available. However the min order seems to be £150, but then I'm sure if you bought up the stock you could recover some cost by reselling them as it seems that there is still a demand for this chip, especially in the DIY weather station community :)

here (hopefully) is the link http://www.oraclecomponents.co.uk/parts ... &search=Go!
Thanks :) But I think the price is just a little too high :lol:
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I've been experimenting with software - running a loop continuously reading a 1-wire chip and reading data. This is just the simple DS18B20 thermometer chip, so no variation in output over a period of just seconds. Tests have shown data gathering to be very fast - a million reads in 5 seconds. But is this actually taking a new temperature reading every 200us? I think not! I think it more likely that it's just reading a buffer.

I increased the loop count in 10x steps until the process took several seconds to complete the count. I ended up doing a million loops reading the temperature and the computer clock in about 5 secs. At every 100,000 counts it prints the count, time and temperature and logs the latter two to a file. This is the terminal output :-
gina@AMD64-Mint-9 /mnt $ sudo python ~/Weather-1-wire/ReadTemperature.py 28.6686E0020000 ~/Weather-1-wire/Temperature.txt
100000 2011-01-02 21:10:51 1.125
200000 2011-01-02 21:10:52 1.125
300000 2011-01-02 21:10:52 1.125
400000 2011-01-02 21:10:53 1.125
500000 2011-01-02 21:10:53 1.125
600000 2011-01-02 21:10:54 1.125
700000 2011-01-02 21:10:54 1.125
800000 2011-01-02 21:10:55 1.125
900000 2011-01-02 21:10:55 1.125
1000000 2011-01-02 21:10:56 1.125
ATM the only 1-wire chips I have are DS18B20s and a couple of DS2450 4 channel A/D chips. I have not tried a DS2450 as yet. I think that's the next step - get one working and reading an input signal. I have a waveform generator which covers a large frequency range with sine, square and triangular wave output at 0-5v. That should be ideal for testing this chip. I would think other chips that perform A/D would work at a similar speed.

This testing should tell me if it's feasible to sample the anemometer reed switch at 200 times a second. That gives 5ms to communicate with the chip and process the results. It only needs to increment a software counter for each positive (or negative) transition of the reed switch data. Then the counter can be read at the data logging interval chosen, be it say 10secs for real time dials or 5min for normal plotting.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

malc-c wrote:Gina, it might be that as it's Sunday and they need to give the exact cost of shipping overseas and can't do so that's why they are not processing international orders. It might be worth trying to place the order on Tuesday when (possibly) the offices are manned
Eureka!!! You're right! :) HobbyBoards international sales is/are working :) I have just ordered 5 DS2423 counter chips @ $8 each = $40 plus just over $5 shipping. PayPal converted the total to just under £30 so that works out at about six quid each. That's not too bad. Probably didn't need that many but better than not enough :lol: And they could run out any time.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I now have a DS2450 four channel A/D chip wired into the 1-wire network and working. I'm feeding a 0-5v very low frequency sine wave into one input and an attenuated version of it into another. I've added it into the logger app which now logs date, time, temperature and four voltages every 10 seconds. In view of the frequent data collection I've added the date into the data file name so I get a new file for each day. So... records per day = 6x60x24 = 8640. Actually, ATM the logging is a little over 10secs since I'm just using a 10sec pause in the logging loop. I'll change the timing to log at exact time intervals later. The readings from the 5v sine wave input go from nearly zero to nearly 5 in a 3 minute cycle, exactly as expected :)
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Still waiting fro delivery of counter chips from HobbyBoards (probably in Customs) so I've been thinking... Ouch! :lol:

Many decades ago I was involved in a project requiring a number of simple counters - ICs were in their infancy. I came up with an analogue solution to a digital problem - a diode pump circuit. Now I have another totally unrelated use for it! The idea is to transfer charge from a small capacitor to a larger one. The voltage reached in the larger one is proportional to the number of small charges applied. By adding a "current leak" resistor, the average voltage produced is proportional to the frequency of charges applied. Below is a circuit which takes the closing of a reed switch and pair of diodes to pump charge from one capacitor to another. The application I have in mind is the anemometer.
00-diode-pump-cct-a.png
How it works :-
Parasitic power is obtained from the 1-wire bus in the usual way with Schottky diodes and smoothing capacitor. The anemometer reed switch causes the small capacitor to be charged and discharged alternately. During the charging, current is fed into the reservoir capacitor through a diode from the parasitic 5v supply. The discharge current flows through the other diode and resistor to earth. The resulting voltage across the reservoir capacitor may be measured with a DS2438 1-wire chip (called a Smart Battery Monitor) using the current sense A/D converter. This has a full scale input of 250mV. This relatively small voltage compared with the 5v supply maintains adequate linearity.

Component values may be calculated to give a full scale reading of 100mph or whatever is wanted. Resolution is limited to one charge unit (pulse) = half a revolution or the A/D resolution, which I think is 8 bits (1 in 256). EDIT Checked up - signed 10bit so 1 in 512.

A variation of the circuit could involve removing the leak resistor and discharging the reservoir capacitor after each reading but this would require an extra chip.

Of course, this is a bit more complicated that using a DS2423 counter chip with more components but it beats using a CMOS counter and DS2408 8 bit I/O chip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Yippee!! My counter chips have been delivered :) I guessed as soon as I'd sorted out an alternative, they'd arrive :lol:
Gina

nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Gina wrote:Yippee!! My counter chips have been delivered :) I guessed as soon as I'd sorted out an alternative, they'd arrive :lol:
Always the case :roll: Hopefully you didn't have anything extra to pay :)
Gina

Post by Gina »

No, it would seem not :) The package came airmail. The chips are so small and thin that the package was no more than a slightly thick letter. They're about 3mm square and just over a mm thick. Just been "having fun" soldering fine wires onto the pads and then soldering the wires onto 0.1" stripboard to join the DS2450 A/D and other components.

This is the complete wind sensor circuit.
00-0-new-wind-sensor-cct-final.png
How it works :-
Parasitic power is obtained from the 1-wire bus using the 2 Schottky diodes and electrolytic capacitor. This is used both by the 1-wire chips and the sensor circuit. The anemometer reed switch feeds the DS2423 counter chip with a resistor to aid pull down. The reed switch signal is de-bounced in the chip and the operations counted in a 32bit counter. The wind vane operates 8 reed switches and the 47K resistors encode the result onto the 4 analogue inputs of the DS2450 A/D chip. The resistor arrangement is such that not only are the 8 primary points exclusively encoded but the other 8 in-between points are too, with two adjacent reed switches on at the same time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Gina wrote:How it works :- Parasitic power is obtained from the 1-wire bus using the 2 Schottky diodes and electrolytic capacitor. This is used both by the 1-wire chips and the sensor circuit. The anemometer reed switch feeds the DS2423 counter chip with a resistor to aid pull down. The reed switch signal is de-bounced in the chip and the operations counted in a 32bit counter. The wind vane operates 8 reed switches and the 47K resistors encode the result onto the 4 analogue inputs of the DS2450 A/D chip. The resistor arrangement is such that not only are the 8 primary points exclusively encoded but the other 8 in-between points are too, with two adjacent reed switches on at the same time.
Well that has cleared any confusion I may have had :ugeek: .................. If only I understood it :lol:

Do you think you would be able to feed your wind data into the FO Transmitter or is that just not feasible.
Gina

Post by Gina »

nking wrote:Do you think you would be able to feed your wind data into the FO Transmitter or is that just not feasible.
Yes, you could do. A different resistor network, one for each reed switch could be used and then connected to the FO transmitter. In other words a copy of the circuit used by FO. Some of the resistors FO use are unusual values and of close tolerance. 1% metal oxide resistors should be alright with the odd values made up from two standard values. If you want the values, I can find it in the FO sub-forum (I think) and copy it here.

EDIT :- This is the thread :- https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2685
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Although not really belonging in the "1-wire" thread, here is a diagram showing the resistors needed to feed into the FO transmitter.
0-new-wind-sensor-cct-FO.png
You could get 16K from 15K and 1k in series. Likewise 64K9 from 62K and 2K7 in series to give 64K7 which would be near enough. If you want to use resistors in parallel, you'd use higher values - formula is 1/R = 1/Ra + 1/Rb. Or R = Ra*Rb/(Ra+Rb). Obviously the series arrangement is easier to calculate!
Gina