Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind instruments get frozen and stop turning

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Angile
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Wind instruments get frozen and stop turning

Post by Angile »

My National Geographic 265NC Wind power and direction devices get jam in the ice after a rain in winter.

Does any of you have solve this issue?
Angile
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Re: Wind instruments get frozen and stop turning

Post by hills »

Yep, move to a warmer climate! ;)

Gina has been developing a heater for her rain gaage, that might be able to be adapted to the other instruments.
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

It's easy to thaw out if you can get to it - Unfortunately that is rarely the case. Mine is frozen well above the roof too.
The good news is that the wind direction is now working again, so it's only a matter of time until the anemometer starts up too.
swompdonkey
Weather Station: wh1080
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by swompdonkey »

Hi guys, i put a squirt of Ferrosol on the bearings and its kept it going so far down to -10oC. Not tried the rain sensor though..

Thanks

John
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:Gina has been developing a heater for her rain gaage, that might be able to be adapted to the other instruments.
I'm currently building the thermostatic heater for the rain gauge. I'm also looking into the same for the wind sensors but space is limited.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Angile
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Post by Angile »

I finally got my ladder out and pourred some "rubbing alcohol" on the anemometer and wind direction devices. Then I turned slowly forward and backward the mobile parts, just enough to not break the plastic. It seem to be unfrozen and running again; but for how many time ? ......
Angile
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Post by wd40 »

Do a search for bird bath heaters.

Randy
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Lots of iteresting suggestions, but keeping it warmer is not a practical solution, particularly in climates with seriously cold winters. I'm reading -12C this morning, and will rarely get much above this until the end of March. Capturing an overnight low well below -30C happens quite regularly.

And most of the time, the anemometer does not care. In truth, the issue with the anemometer is that its surface that has to move is physically very close to the surface that is stationary on the edge at the top of the unit. Freezing rain, and sometimes a heavy frost, will bridge the two surfaces together. The bridge can be quite small, easily removed with a fingernail, but because the angle puts a force in shear rather than in tension, it can be very difficult for the anemometer to break through.

So if you can easily reach the device, scrape the bit of ice off with your finger, and you are back in business. If you can't, then be patient; either the sun or low humidity will remove it in couple days (like the shrinking ice cubes in the back of your 'frige!)

The good news is that in most locations, the risk of freezing rain is relatively low, and confined to a few weeks each year. I'm sure the folks that designed this anemometer thought the risk was pretty small, or they would have tried to address it.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Yes, I think you're probably right. It's the anemometer I have problems with and mainly with snow rather than ice. The problem with the anemometer is the ledge just below the rotor allowing snow to build up. I'm thinking of a mod. (Mechanical rather then electrical.)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

I was thinking of a flange attached to the bottom to the rotor, almost at 180 deg. Like the thing a vet puts on a poorly pet (possibly made of the same thick polythene too).

That could stop the gap getting wet, and hopefully be steep enough to stop snow settling on it.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Synewave wrote:I was thinking of a flange attached to the bottom to the rotor, almost at 180 deg. Like the thing a vet puts on a poorly pet (possibly made of the same thick polythene too).

That could stop the gap getting wet, and hopefully be steep enough to stop snow settling on it.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking of. In fact I've drawn a diagram :)
Anemometer-Joint-a.png
Edit :- Oh the gap didn't show - I've redone it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

Just grabbed my Spare Anemometer from upstairs
As my new one has frozen again (WD40 did not work)
As Gina has suggested it may be possible to stick 3 small flanges to the outer rim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Post by wd40 »

I have looked at these to warm my citrus trees when it gets cold. Might work for those in the land of the cold.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ath+heater
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

"Pipe heat tape" or "Reptile Heat Cable" would probably be a more convenient solution.

... however; how far do you go to modify a bit of kit that was never meant to cope with "The Weather" :lol:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Gina

Post by Gina »

I've made a plastic skirt for my anemometer rotor out of the bottom part of a small steam pudding container. Cut little slots for the rotor arms and attached it to the rotor with hot melt glue (which also provides a seal). I'll take a photo later.
Gina