Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Arduino and 1-wire based home built weather station.

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Arduino and 1-wire based home built weather station.

Post by Gina »

I think I might experiment with a diode pump circuit for counting anemoneter pulses which will convert a pulse rate to an analogue voltage which can then be read by a D/A converter such as the DS2438 with either 10v or 250mv A/Ds. The 250mv A/D would give better linearity but OTOH a non-linear response to the wind speed would not necessarily be a bad thing. I think a wind speed reading represented by the Beaufort Scale would make more sense than a purely linear scale and I was planning to use this sort of windspeed display anyway.

For anyone who doesn't know, here's the Beaufort Scale courtesy Met Office :-
Beaufort Scale.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

The digital alternative to the above would be a CMOS 4000 series type 4520 dual 4 bit binary up counter, giving 8 output bits which could be read by a DS2408 1-wire device. But this would require more time to build. Using a reading every 3 seconds I could read the wind speed in increments of 1/3rd mph with max of 255/3 = 85mph which should be plenty :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

I'm having considerable trouble trying to get the DS2408 to work and it's doing my head in so I'm leaving it for a while. I think I could do with coming back to it afresh later. I'm now looking at other ideas.
Gina

AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Gina,

Sorry, I don't have much to contribute to this thread. My own design aims are very much around wireless communications (i.e. battery operation) and "getting the best out of the Fine Offset sensors". IMHO there's not too much wrong with the FO anemometer (at £2.50 from Maplin) except it's calibration may be doubtful, but that applies equally to almost any home-built anemometer.

Certainly the FO Vane has its weaknesses (some of which can be improved), but it only consumes an average of around 1 uW from the battery! My "planned" improvement is to actually take advantage of its "lively-ness" and take the average of multiple "local" measurements to produce a average for the transmitter (at full / higher resolution). For this I'll be using a "PICaxe" microcontroller, which, although they cost about the same as a full Arduino board, can easily run at sub-miiliwatt (i.e. alkaline battery) power levels. It can also natively read a DS18B20 which is indeed an excellent temperature sensor.

Cheers, Alan.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hi Alan

Thank you for your reply :) I understand your wanting to keep power down for battery use. My weather station is and will continue to be near my observatory which has mains power backed up be a sealed lead acid battery, so I always have power available. So keeping power to a minimum is no longer that important to me and I admit, I've forgotten that at times.

1-wire is handy for communication up to 100m on a single twisted pair but there are other, simpler methods that people like me sometimes forget. If I'm going to use CAT5e cable for comms there isn't just one pair of wires, there's four. So I can use 1-wire where it's convenient and the other wires as well for other commumication methods.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I have a DS2408 working now after debugging the Arduino library for it :) But I'm not using that for my wind instruments - I've decided to just get the now obsolete DS2423 and DS2450 circuit working with new optical sensors and hardware. The anemometer is working with the DS2423 counter and the wind vane direction with Gray optical encoder almost working using the DS2450. I'll post diagrams and photos shortly. I'm hoping to have the direction encoder working properly tomorrow, luck permitting :)
Gina