Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Arduino and 1-wire based home built weather station.

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Arduino and 1-wire based home built weather station.

Post by Gina »

Sensor & data I/O list :-
  • Wind Speed - 1-wire - pin 2
    Wind Direction - 1-wire - pin 2
    Light Level - 1-wire - pin 2
    Rainfall - 1-wire - pin 2
    Barometric Pressure - I2C - pins A4 & A5
    Inside Temperature & Humidity - pin 3
    Outside Temperature & Humidity - pin 4
    RTC - I2C - pins A4 & A5
    SD card CS - pin10
    SD card MOSI - pin 11
    SD card MISO - pin 12
    SD card CLK - pin 13
    Red LED - pin 5
    Green LED - pin 6
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Wired up the data logger shield with a DHT22, connection for the 1-wire and components for the exterior DHT22 connection plus the two LEDs. There's still the barometer module to add - when it comes.
Data_logger_01.jpg
Data_logger_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Now have a test sketch which is logging date/time, temperature, humidity and dew point. Here is the data in a spread sheet (Open Office Calc) taken from the SD card.
Weather_Test_01.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

jim-easterbrook
Weather Station: WH1081, Elecsa AstroTouch 6975
Operating System: openSUSE 13.1, Raspbian, OpenWrt

Post by jim-easterbrook »

Gina wrote:Now have a test sketch which is logging date/time, temperature, humidity and dew point. Here is the data in a spread sheet (Open Office Calc) taken from the SD card.
Your time stamps don't appear to be UTC. Potential problems when they jump back one hour in a few weeks time.
Jim
Gina

Post by Gina »

Quite correct Jim - present times are BST. I have that to correct - I'm aware of it - but thank you for pointing it out :) I intend to set the clock to UTC (alias GMT) and leave it set to that. Conversion to local time can take place in the display software. That was a big problem with the FO station - insisted on using local time, causing big problems when the clocks were changed.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Fixed the time - simply turned off "Daylight Saving Time" in Win 7 then ran clock setting sketch again. Then put Win 7 clock back to mormal. Added a "Z" to the date/time data to conform with the ISO standard for UTC).
Weather_Test_02.PNG
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

The barometer module came today and I've wired it up to the logger shield. Fits rather nicely :)
Data_logger_03.jpg
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Now have the barometer working and logging to SD file :) The module also reads temperature so I've included that too (called Temp2). However the temperature does not seem very accurate being a degree C or so high. The DHC22 is accurate to half a degree so I'll use that and ignore the BMP085 temperature.

Here are serial display and SD file contents.
Weather_Test_03.PNG
Weather_Test_04.PNG
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I'm now looking into accessing the 1-wire devices. The DS2423 (counter), DS2450 (4 line ADC) and DS2438 (battery sensor - voltage, current, temperature) are no problem - I've found and installed libraries for them but the DS2413 ( 2 channel switch) is a problem, I can't find any source of a library for this decice for the Arduino. I may have to change my circuitry unless anyone knows where I can find the DS2413 Arduino library.

The DS2413 is used to enable the LEDs used when reading the wind vane direction.
Gina

ScottM
Weather Station: homebrew
Operating System: Win 7

Post by ScottM »

As one wire devices go, http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2413.pdf is pretty simple. You can take the existing library for another one wire device and just code up the two commands you need, based on example. It looks like all you need is reset, select, write a byte (F5 or 5A), read a byte, reset.
Gina

Post by Gina »

ScottM wrote:As one wire devices go, http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2413.pdf is pretty simple. You can take the existing library for another one wire device and just code up the two commands you need, based on example. It looks like all you need is reset, select, write a byte (F5 or 5A), read a byte, reset.
Thank you :) Yes, I was planning to do that when I get back onto this project - been very busy lately.

I need to get back to weather stations - even my FO station is out of action ATM - I think it's suffering from the weather!!! :mrgreen: The unsupported mast has withstood the storms but I think the wire is broken.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Hi Folks - I'm back :) And now working on this project again - trying to catch up on where I'd got to :D

One big difference - I now have a 3D printer and can print my own parts in ABS thermoplastic :)
Gina

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Welcome back - what printer do you have? I've been thinking of getting one myself for making various bits. But mainly just for playing :lol:
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Welcome back Gina, good to see you again, 3D printer eh? That could be interesting...
Gina

Post by Gina »

Thank you Steve and Mark :)

Steve - My working 3D printer is the UP! Plus 2 which is a small commercial unit with proprietry software and hardware. It's very good though more expensive than the more common RepRap based printers and kits. I was lucky to buy a secondhand one at under half the new price from Amazon. Nothing wrong with it and virtually new, just needed a bit of setting up. I use it an enormous amount for small plastic parts. The print volume is around 130mm cube. That compares with most of the RepRap printers of 200mm cube.

I am also working on a larger RepRap style printer. RepRap is an open source standard with loads of info available and using readily available standard parts. It is Arduino Mega 2560 based with shield for the stepper motors, heaters etc. I bought the Velleman kit but found it very unreliable and suffering from several design faults. So I've stripped it down and using the best parts and producing or buying extra bits to make it work better for both reliability and print volume.
Gina