Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
ronwestnz
Weather Station: WS2083
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Post by ronwestnz »

I have it running via my internal lan as well, and yes there are times it goes blank. only thing i have put it down too, is the gadget is trying to read the realtime.txt file the same time it's being updated by cumulus. I fixed this by offsetting the update time of the gadget to be a few seconds away from the realtime update time.

In saying that, i still get the odd blank gadget refresh, but it doesn't hang anymore
Ron
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Dane knows about the local network problem....I was just saying that the Internet update also fails but nowhere near as often as the LAN.
sjukmidlands
Weather Station: Techno-Line WS2300
Operating System: Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64bit

Post by sjukmidlands »

Mine did this once a couple of weeks ago. Restarting the gadget didn't help, I had to reboot the PC and then it all worked again. That is the only time it has refused to update.

I checked via ftp to my remote folder where the weather data is stored and the realtime.txt file was there and was up to date.

Strange - but its only done it once for me and not since.

Steve
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

Hi
I have only just switched to windows 7 so havent been able to try this gadget. I have downloaded the file, but when I rename it .gadget, nothing happens - can you give me any further advice regards that.

cheers
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

renamed the extension yeah? not the whole filename?

Just click on it (or double click) to install it
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

Paul C wrote:Hi
I have only just switched to windows 7 so havent been able to try this gadget. I have downloaded the file, but when I rename it .gadget, nothing happens - can you give me any further advice regards that.

cheers
When you renamed the file to cumulusih.gadget did the icon change from a stack of books to the icon shown in the documentation for the gadget?
If no: you did not rename it correctly.
If yes: double-click the gadget to install it.
Ib
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Hi
Yes certain I renamed it correctly - icon didnt change at all
Mind you it wasnt a stack of boots to start with just an ordinary folder
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
dane

Post by dane »

Yes certain I renamed it correctly - icon didnt change at all
Mind you it wasnt a stack of boots to start with just an ordinary folder
You mean it did not look like this?
before.png
If so, the download from the 1st post of this thread must have gone wrong.
After renaming, it should look like this:
after.png
Ib
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080

Post by nitrx »

dane wrote:

cheers
When you renamed the file to cumulusih.gadget did the icon change from a stack of books to the icon shown in the documentation for the gadget?
If no: you did not rename it correctly.
If yes: double-click the gadget to install it.
If you run Win XP it can't handle gadgets , gadgets are supported by Vista and Windows 7.
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

I am definatley using windows 7 - its my weather station thats runs on Xp machine

My files do not look like the above shown.

see attched - when I right click and rename it just shows the same icon only with gadget at the end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
dane

Post by dane »

My files do not look like the above shown
You didn't unpack the .zip file you downloaded, did you? - you shouldn't.
If the downloaded cumulusih.zip file doesn't look as shown above I have no clue to what is wrong :?
Ib
dane

Post by dane »

In your attached picture I can not see the filetype.
Please do the following:
- open Windows Explorer (hit Windowkey+e)
- hit "Organize" in the menu
- hit "Folder Settings"
- hit "Show"
- remove checkmark agains "hide filetypes"
(sorry: probably not the correct wordings - I am translating back from Danish :) )

Now you should be able to see the filetype of the file.
Ib
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

dane wrote:
My files do not look like the above shown
You didn't unpack the .zip file you downloaded, did you? - you shouldn't.
If the downloaded cumulusih.zip file doesn't look as shown above I have no clue to what is wrong :?

Dont forget, it will ONLY look like your one, if he has winrar installed, same as it would look different with winzip. As far as I can tell he has no seperate zip program installed as that is the default icon for Windows Zip files

I am inclined to agree with Dane on this, rather than changing the extension, which is not viewable, your just adding the .gadget bit at the end, so when you do as instructed as above, you will probably have cumulusih.gadget.zip

rename that cumulus.gadget (just get rid of the .zip bit)
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

The 'cumulusih.zip' file is not a RAR file ... it is a ZIP file and (almost) all version of Windows will be able to handle whatever files are contained within. :mrgreen:

As posted in a previous message, the 'zip' extension has to be changed to 'gadget' so Windows Vista and Windows 7 can recognise the package as a gadget! ;)

Using the Windows Explorer file browser (and not the Windows Internet Explorer browser), one must first make visible the file extensions for known file types by clicking on the 'Organize' pull down menu (left side of Explorer) and clicking on the 'Folder options'. A new small 'Folder Options' windows should have opened. One must now click on the 'View' tab. About two third of the way down on that small screen, there should be a check mark in a box in front of the 'Hide extensions for known file types' option - the check mark must be removed and the 'OK' button must be clicked.

One must now proceed to the location where the 'cumulusih.zip' file has been downloaded and saved, and, using the 'Rename' command, change the extension of the 'cumulusih.zip' file from 'zip' to 'gadget' so the renamed file becomes 'cumulusih.gadget' - the icon in front of the file should also change from:
cumulusihZIP.JPG
to:
cumulusihGADGET.png
(although I am not entirely sure about the icons - I do not use the 'standard' Windows 7 icons on my computer)! :oops:

Clicking on the renamed 'gadget' file should force Windows (Vista or 7) to install the Cumulus gadget.

One must not forget to return things the way Microsoft want them to be ... once again, using Windows Explorer (the file browser), clicking on the 'Organize' pull down menu (left side of Explorer) and clicking on the 'Folder options'; on the small 'Folder Options' windows, clicking on the 'View' tab; clicking on the box in front of the 'Hide extensions for known file types' option to replace the check mark and finally clicking on the 'OK' button to terminate the procedure. :)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

gemini06720 wrote:One must not forget to return things the way Microsoft want them to be ... once again, using Windows Explorer (the file browser), clicking on the 'Organize' pull down menu (left side of Explorer) and clicking on the 'Folder options'; on the small 'Folder Options' windows, clicking on the 'View' tab; clicking on the box in front of the 'Hide extensions for known file types' option to replace the check mark and finally clicking on the 'OK' button to terminate the procedure. :)
No, whatever you do, don't do that. Leave it with the extensions showing. Having fixed your system, don't revert to the stupid broken Microsoft default.
Steve