Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
User avatar
mcrossley
Posts: 4980
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi
Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby mcrossley » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Unlikely but maybe the work proxy server doesn't allow .txt files?

wxsharp
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Minnesota

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby wxsharp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 am

I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.

User avatar
dane
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi
Location: Gilleleje, Denmark

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby dane » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 am

wxsharp wrote:I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.

Your user profile says: XP. No gadget support in Win XP. Is that the cause ?
Ib

wxsharp
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Minnesota

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby wxsharp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:50 pm

dane wrote:
wxsharp wrote:I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.

Your user profile says: XP. No gadget support in Win XP. Is that the cause ?


Nah, Cumulus is running on my XP box. Widgets are all running on Win7. As I mentioned, the Widget loads fine, pulls all the data from realtime.txt fine, refreshes, etc. It just doesn't have the graphic on top - the widget is just blank on top.

User avatar
dane
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi
Location: Gilleleje, Denmark

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby dane » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:57 pm

You probably did not specify "Cumulus forecast" on the station settings panel.
The gadget uses the zambretti forecast from Cumulus, not the one from the Davis station.
Ib

wxsharp
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Minnesota

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby wxsharp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:12 pm

dane wrote:You probably did not specify "Cumulus forecast" on the station settings panel.
The gadget uses the zambretti forecast from Cumulus, not the one from the Davis station.


Thanks, that was it - knew it was something silly. So is there an advantage to one over the other? And this graphic - it's today's forecast, right? Not current conditions? It's a tad ambiguous at first glance..

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26256
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in France
Contact:

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby steve » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 pm

wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?

The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

User avatar
dane
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi
Location: Gilleleje, Denmark

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby dane » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:56 pm

steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?

The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.

The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
Ib

wxsharp
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Minnesota

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby wxsharp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:16 pm

dane wrote:
steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?

The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.

The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt


Bummer - would be nice if it was in realtime, or if you could have Cuumulus's in realtime, but leave Davis's for other stuff..

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26256
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in France
Contact:

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby steve » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 pm

dane wrote:The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
The problem is that there's no identifier for the Davis forecast (that Cumulus has access to) so it would have to include the text of the forecast, and that would typically double the size of the realtime.txt file. And how would you use that anyway, in your gadget?

What I could do is to always do the Cumulus forecast calculation, and include the identifier in realtime.txt, even if the Davis forecast was being used.

Edit: I've just realised that what I've just proposed is what wxsharp had already proposed in the previous message :lol:
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

wxsharp
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Minnesota

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby wxsharp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 pm

steve wrote:
dane wrote:The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
The problem is that there's no identifier for the Davis forecast (that Cumulus has access to) so it would have to include the text of the forecast, and that would typically double the size of the realtime.txt file. And how would you use that anyway, in your gadget?

What I could do is to always do the Cumulus forecast calculation, and include the identifier in realtime.txt, even if the Davis forecast was being used.

Edit: I've just realised that what I've just proposed is what wxsharp had already proposed in the previous message :lol:


:)
I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).

I was contemplating writing an Android app. I was kind of interested in using the realtime.txt for the sake of ease of use, if others are interested in using it. So in that case, full data would be nice..

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26256
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in France
Contact:

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby steve » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:29 pm

wxsharp wrote:I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).
There's been some discussion about a 'realtime extras' file, and it's something I'll look at when I get more time.

I've changed the code for the next build so it always sets up the forecast number, so it's always valid in realtime.txt and the <#forecastnumber> web tag.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

wxsharp
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Minnesota

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby wxsharp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm

steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).
There's been some discussion about a 'realtime extras' file, and it's something I'll look at when I get more time.

I've changed the code for the next build so it always sets up the forecast number, so it's always valid in realtime.txt and the <#forecastnumber> web tag.


Very cool - when do you expect the next build to go release?

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26256
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in France
Contact:

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby steve » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 am

wxsharp wrote:Very cool - when do you expect the next build to go release?
Hard to say; I'm in the middle of some large changes at the moment.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

uncle_bob
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:58 pm
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008
Location: Canberra

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Postby uncle_bob » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 am

This is very cool, excuse the pun (bet ya never heard that one before on here ;) )
Lags up my Mac at work though lol.


Return to “3rd Party Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests