Page 17 of 20

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:45 pm
by mcrossley
Unlikely but maybe the work proxy server doesn't allow .txt files?

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 am
by wxsharp
I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 am
by dane
wxsharp wrote:I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.

Your user profile says: XP. No gadget support in Win XP. Is that the cause ?

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:50 pm
by wxsharp
dane wrote:
wxsharp wrote:I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.

Your user profile says: XP. No gadget support in Win XP. Is that the cause ?


Nah, Cumulus is running on my XP box. Widgets are all running on Win7. As I mentioned, the Widget loads fine, pulls all the data from realtime.txt fine, refreshes, etc. It just doesn't have the graphic on top - the widget is just blank on top.

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:57 pm
by dane
You probably did not specify "Cumulus forecast" on the station settings panel.
The gadget uses the zambretti forecast from Cumulus, not the one from the Davis station.

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:12 pm
by wxsharp
dane wrote:You probably did not specify "Cumulus forecast" on the station settings panel.
The gadget uses the zambretti forecast from Cumulus, not the one from the Davis station.


Thanks, that was it - knew it was something silly. So is there an advantage to one over the other? And this graphic - it's today's forecast, right? Not current conditions? It's a tad ambiguous at first glance..

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 pm
by steve
wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?

The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:56 pm
by dane
steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?

The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.

The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:16 pm
by wxsharp
dane wrote:
steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?

The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.

The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt


Bummer - would be nice if it was in realtime, or if you could have Cuumulus's in realtime, but leave Davis's for other stuff..

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 pm
by steve
dane wrote:The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
The problem is that there's no identifier for the Davis forecast (that Cumulus has access to) so it would have to include the text of the forecast, and that would typically double the size of the realtime.txt file. And how would you use that anyway, in your gadget?

What I could do is to always do the Cumulus forecast calculation, and include the identifier in realtime.txt, even if the Davis forecast was being used.

Edit: I've just realised that what I've just proposed is what wxsharp had already proposed in the previous message :lol:

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 pm
by wxsharp
steve wrote:
dane wrote:The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
The problem is that there's no identifier for the Davis forecast (that Cumulus has access to) so it would have to include the text of the forecast, and that would typically double the size of the realtime.txt file. And how would you use that anyway, in your gadget?

What I could do is to always do the Cumulus forecast calculation, and include the identifier in realtime.txt, even if the Davis forecast was being used.

Edit: I've just realised that what I've just proposed is what wxsharp had already proposed in the previous message :lol:


:)
I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).

I was contemplating writing an Android app. I was kind of interested in using the realtime.txt for the sake of ease of use, if others are interested in using it. So in that case, full data would be nice..

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:29 pm
by steve
wxsharp wrote:I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).
There's been some discussion about a 'realtime extras' file, and it's something I'll look at when I get more time.

I've changed the code for the next build so it always sets up the forecast number, so it's always valid in realtime.txt and the <#forecastnumber> web tag.

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm
by wxsharp
steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).
There's been some discussion about a 'realtime extras' file, and it's something I'll look at when I get more time.

I've changed the code for the next build so it always sets up the forecast number, so it's always valid in realtime.txt and the <#forecastnumber> web tag.


Very cool - when do you expect the next build to go release?

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 am
by steve
wxsharp wrote:Very cool - when do you expect the next build to go release?
Hard to say; I'm in the middle of some large changes at the moment.

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 am
by uncle_bob
This is very cool, excuse the pun (bet ya never heard that one before on here ;) )
Lags up my Mac at work though lol.