Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Cumulus realtime console

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
phtvs
Weather Station: ws4000
Operating System: win7

New Cumulus realtime console

Post by phtvs »

Hi,

I have made a Cumulus Realtime Weather Console script.

DEMO: http://www.weerstation-lemmer.nl/cumulu ... onsole.php

The console displays the weather data from realtime.txt and refreshes the data every 15 seconds (could be more or less if you want)
Installation is very easy to do. Simply upload the files to your Cumulus directory on the server!

You can use your own banner and icons, if you like.

If you like the script and want to use it on your website, Let me know and I will post the script.

Icon set made by JacquesD http://www.meteoduquebec.com/forum/view ... p?f=4&t=10 (need to download this icons before using the script!)

Theo

EDIT:

Pre-release Cumulus Weather Gauges Console BETA.

I have decided to make two kind of gauges pages for the weather console.
This version makes use of the original Cumulus images and graphs. No need to install a database!!!

DEMO: http://www.weerstation-lemmer.nl/cumulus/gauges.php

EDIT: updated the weatherconsole
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by phtvs on Thu 27 Jan 2011 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: New Cumulus realtime console

Post by gemini06720 »

Good work, Theo. Now you have to make the script available to other users... ;)

Are you using some books to help you learn PHP?

I am also impressed that you have moved the CSS out of the main page (into a separate file) and that you are using a JavaScrip refresh script. Excellent... :)

The next step is to use JavaScript to update the data on the page ... rather than refreshing the whole page. To get you going in that direction, have a look at David Jamieson WeatherConsole. One important thing to remember when working with JavaScript is that, if an error is made during the editing of the script, nothing will be displayed, nothing at all, not even an error message (as you probably familiar by now working with PHP). My advise is to ensure that the editor you use creates a backup copy of the file when saving a modified files - you must immediately rename that backup copy with an individual name - I use the date as my renaming format, such as:
  • filename.txt == orignal name of the file
    filename_2011-01-12.ext == first backup copy of the file
    filename_2011-01-12_2.ext == second backup copy of the file
    filename_2011-01-12_3.ext == third backup copy of the file
    filename_2011-01-12_99.ext == ninety-ninth backup copy of the file :)
With this renaming technique, if something happens, and it is going to happen, then you will have backup copies of the file to go back to... ;)
phtvs

Post by phtvs »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the compliments 8-)

I bought a PHP book and learned how to script in PHP and a little CSS.

Things are not that easy as it seems but Im learning from my mistakes :lol: (a lot of mistakes)

The next thing I want to do is make the script multi language. So I have made a external file (.ini) with all the translations in it. (almost ready with the Dutch translation)
So if someone wants to use a different language, all he (or she) has to do is change the language file.

After that I want to take a closer look at javascripts to refresh the content. But javascript is so much different from PHP.
(maybe I need to buy a book for that too hahaha)

I wil post the script TODAY in this topic.

Im using Zend studio for making the scripts. Zend does not make a backup copy of the scripts, so I do that manual.
Sometimes I forget to do that :bash:

A very good tip to rename the files with date/time in it. I going to use that method.

Theo
Last edited by phtvs on Wed 12 Jan 2011 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
phtvs

Post by phtvs »

I have completed the script and made a README.txt file with installation instructions.

Installation is quite easy to do. IMPORTANT!!!!! BEFORE installation please READ THE README.TXT!!!!!!!

Unpack the .rar file and upload all the files from the WeatherConsole directory to your Cumulus directory on the server.
Must be the same directory where your realtime.txt file is located.
DO NOT UPLOAD the directory WeatherConsole, but just the files that are in that directory!!!

point your browser to:
http://linktoyoursite/xxxx/weatherconsole.php

linktoyoursite = the url of your webserver
xxxx= the cumulus directory

If your Cumulus realtime.txt is in the root of your server, point your browser to:
http://linktoyoursite/weatherconsole.php

Now it must be working fine!

If you want/need to change anything, please read the README.TXT file

Most things you may want to change are in the console-config.php and in the weatherconsole.css (for the colors)

The script comes with a standard banner, you can change this in the console-config.php

If you want to use forecast icons, you need to download the icons, see readme.txt for instructions!

The script comes with translation files for English and Dutch. If you want to use another language, you need to translate the language file yourself. read the readme.txt !

For questions, please leave a note in this topic!

Have fun with it!

Theo

EDIT: Attached a .ZIP file as requested

EDIT: updated the weatherconsole to correct the time issue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by phtvs on Thu 13 Jan 2011 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hillbilly
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP2

Post by Hillbilly »

Well done Theo, a very well thought through structure for your code and the Dashboard looks very neat. I like it.

I agree with Ray, David's Weather Console is a great way to learn more, as is his 'Display data from SQL in a table in your website' package. Both of these really helped me learn and I've combined both concepts in my dashboard.
Last edited by Hillbilly on Thu 13 Jan 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Theo,

Could you upload the file in a standard zip please? I can't open the rar file.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by bnwrx »

Nice work!! thank you
I cannot get the "Icons" to display though?
Also the "Update Clock" is 1 hour earlier than true time?
JacquesD
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by JacquesD »

Hi!

Maybe the wrong icon set. Theo refer to "winter kit" icon set.
That set contains 21 icons who is influenced by cold.

The complete set could be found here :

http://www.meteoduquebec.com/forum/view ... hp?f=4&t=6

Thanks to mention source Theo, and Nice implementation !

Jacques
phtvs

Post by phtvs »

RayProudfoot wrote:Theo,

Could you upload the file in a standard zip please? I can't open the rar file.
I have attached a .zip file to my first post. You can unpack the file with winrar or unzip it with another zip unpacker!

bnwrx wrote:Nice work!! thank you
The icon set that I used is the winterkit icon set made by JacquesD. You can also use another icon set but it must be named the same way because the script uses the forecast numbers from realtime.txt to display the right forecast icon.

Put the icons in the icon folder on the server. Dont make another folder in the icon folder. Just paste the icons itself in the icon folder.

Update clock uses the exact time from realtime.txt. If that time isnt correct you have to set the time in cumulus or on your pc to the right time.

JacquesD wrote:Hi!

Maybe the wrong icon set. Theo refer to "winter kit" icon set.
That set contains 21 icons who is influenced by cold.

The complete set could be found here :

http://www.meteoduquebec.com/forum/view ... hp?f=4&t=6

Thanks to mention source Theo, and Nice implementation !

Jacques
Thanks for the fantastic icons Jacques, I realy like them and using them in the script makes the looks of the script so much nicer!

Theo
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

RayProudfoot wrote:Theo, Could you upload the file in a standard zip please? I can't open the rar file.
Hi Ray,

Have you tried using 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/download.html it's a very good piece of software that works with nearly all compression files.... it's free as well ;)
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

phtvs wrote:Thanks for the compliments 8-)
Now, Theo, do not get your head too 'inflated'... :D
phtvs wrote:Things are not that easy as it seems but Im learning from my mistakes :lol: (a lot of mistakes)
Indeed, when one uses a programming language such as PHP which lets one know that an error or mistake was done in the code, then that makes one's life a bit easier -- not like JavaScript... :evil:
phtvs wrote:The next thing I want to do is make the script multi language. So I have made a external file (.ini) with all the translations in it. (almost ready with the Dutch translation) So if someone wants to use a different language, all he (or she) has to do is change the language file.
Theo, may I recommend that you make two external language files, one in english (which, I presume, is the language used in the code) and one in another language (such as Dutch for you). I understand that the english terms already exist inside the script, but having an external english language file will make it easier for other people to translate the english language to another language - the external language file already exist. Also, may I recommend that you use a different extension than 'ini' for the external language file, maybe something such as 'lng' or even 'tpl' - files with the 'ini' extension as usually used to 'initialise' the data within a scrip. Just a suggestion... ;)
phtvs wrote:After that I want to take a closer look at javascripts to refresh the content. But javascript is so much different from PHP. (maybe I need to buy a book for that too hahaha)
Theo, JavaScript is, to my taste, a poorly designed programming language with nothing to help the designer - one little syntaxe error and the script is dead, one missing comma or semi-colon and the script is dead, and try finding where that missing comma/semi-colon is within 100 lines of script can be nerve wrecking... :mrgreen:
phtvs wrote:Im using Zend studio for making the scripts. Zend does not make a backup copy of the scripts, so I do that manual.
That is one expensive software - and it does not even create a backup copy of the file before saving it... :x
phtvs wrote:A very good tip to rename the files with date/time in it. I going to use that method.
When I started learning programming years ago, that was the first information provided by my instructor - and that renaming operation has saved my sanity more than once... :lol:
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

nking wrote:Hi Ray,
Have you tried using 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/download.html it's a very good piece of software that works with nearly all compression files.... it's free as well ;)
But, but, I am using 7-Zip and WinRAR... :D

But then, I am the 'gemini06720' Ray and not the 'RayProudfoot' Ray... :twisted:
bnwrx

Post by bnwrx »

bnwrx wrote:Nice work!! thank you
The icon set that I used is the winterkit icon set made by JacquesD. You can also use another icon set but it must be named the same way because the script uses the forecast numbers from realtime.txt to display the right forecast icon.

Put the icons in the icon folder on the server. Dont make another folder in the icon folder. Just paste the icons itself in the icon folder.

Update clock uses the exact time from realtime.txt. If that time isnt correct you have to set the time in cumulus or on your pc to the right time.

As you can see in this screen shot, the computer and Cumulusshow correct time, however console is one hour behind. Checked time on Realtime.txt and it is correct. Somehow the script is displaying it incorrectly.

Do I need to label a folder "Icon" in my root Directory and then upload the da/night icons to that? I don't currently have any icon folder there.

Thanks
phtvs

Post by phtvs »

Oeps... sorry my mistake... :oops:

Attached is a new weatherconsole.zip file.

Unpack the .zip and replace the weatherconsole.php file with the old one.

This must correct the time issue. (I have also updated my first post with this correct version)

About the forecast icons.

In the package with the weatherconsole there is an folder icons. this folder must be uploaded to your server. Upload icons folder to te same folder as where your cumulus realtime.exe and the weatherconsole.php files are located.
The forecast icons must be uploaded into the icons folder.

Theo.
bnwrx

Post by bnwrx »

Thanks, that corrected the time issue..!

Now, about the icons. My server,which is GloHosting, won't upload a "folder" just files, which I did(the0.png and the1.png) so they are on the server. What must I do to get the script to load them? For now I am only trying to load the Day/Night icons, not the forecast icons. I went to the mentioned site but cannot find anything to download there, just a post with no attached file?

Thanks for your time !