IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

FTP is broken. I strongly advise all users using my server for their web site to make alternative arrangements.

Outgoing mail is disabled because of the malware on the server. No new forum registrations are currently possible, and mail to the forum administrator will not work.

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Metro App for Cumulus for Windows 8

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
dive76
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Metro App for Cumulus for Windows 8

Postby dive76 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Just installed Windows 8. No more desktop gadgets possible like in Windows 7. Very much enjoyed the sidebar gadget before.
I am no programmer at all and was wondering if anybody could write a simple Metro App for Windows 8 to display the results from the realtime.txt

water01
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit HP SP1

Re: Metro App for Cumulus for Windows 8

Postby water01 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:21 pm

It's only a release candidate at the moment and is not fully released until October 28th, so I doubt you will see anything before then.

Speaking for myself, having installed it, I hated it and the sooner I got it off my desktop the better. Like, I suspect 80% of the world, I will be sticking with Windows 7 or earlier for a proper desktop until Microsoft see the light and give me a Start button and make the Metro interface a secondary interface for tablets.

dive76

Postby dive76 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks David for your comment. Agree that Windows 8 needs some time to get used to. Missing the start menu.
I am using the final version (RTM) of Windows 8 as it has already been released to TechNet.

dive76

Postby dive76 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:59 am

Managed to get the sidebar back to Windows 8. Details how to do that can be found here: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... it-Version
No more problem now to run the cumulus gadget.

Return to “3rd Party Tools”