Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Custom made weather station

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
vagyver
Weather Station: DIY
Operating System: XP

Custom made weather station

Post by vagyver »

I would like to ask if i can make Cumulus work with my custom made weather station.

For your info, i can create any kind of data array (since i can program my microcontroller) at any serial data speed.

So, is there the capability that Cumulus can accept data from a its own simple protocol, or i have to study the protocol of a widely used weather station such as Oregon, Davis etc and create such data?

Thank you in advance!!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Custom made weather station

Post by steve »

You would either have to emulate a station which is already supported, or (not so good) use the 'easyweather.dat' method; see this thread for some information on that: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4344
Steve
vagyver

Post by vagyver »

So, you are not suggesting to use the 'easyweather.dat' method and instead, to emulate a known weather station.

Please, could you please suggest me what weather station should i choose to emulate, so that it can be easy to do it? I mean, what ws has the easiest data protocol to emulate?
And second question: any reference or link for the protocol documentation?

Thanks again very much!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I can't say which would be easiest, but the only protocol for a station currently supported by Cumulus which is officially documented is the Davis protocol: http://davisnet.com/support/weather/dow ... wareID=219
Steve
vagyver

Post by vagyver »

Thank you very much for your reply (fast and helpful)!

I will do a research on this!
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Post by yv1hx »

vagyver wrote:I would like to ask if i can make Cumulus work with my custom made weather station.

For your info, i can create any kind of data array (since i can program my microcontroller) at any serial data speed.

So, is there the capability that Cumulus can accept data from a its own simple protocol, or i have to study the protocol of a widely used weather station such as Oregon, Davis etc and create such data?

Thank you in advance!!
I wold recommend you having a look to https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=16 homebuilt section in this forum, maybe can be helpful :idea:
Marco
vagyver

Post by vagyver »

I am coming back to this issue and i would like to ask if there is a possibility or a perhaps future plan to:

support a dummy weather station in which tha input data raw can be set by the user e.g by comma-delimited or whatever.
In this case someone with a DIY weather station (like me) can connect to Cumulus by customizing the data format via the serial port. I would be very interested in that.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

vagyver wrote:I am coming back to this issue and i would like to ask if there is a possibility or a perhaps future plan to:

support a dummy weather station in which tha input data raw can be set by the user e.g by comma-delimited or whatever.
It is possible that this might happen in the future, yes. But until then only the fixed format of the easyweather.dat file is available.
Steve
Werk_AG
Weather Station: WeatherDuino 4Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Werk_AG »

vagyver wrote:So, you are not suggesting to use the 'easyweather.dat' method and instead, to emulate a known weather station.
Emulate a know weather station is possibly the better way, but the more dificult!
My almost home made weather station is based on Arduino, and I'm using the easyweather.dat method since some months without any major problem.
It's easy to create from a microcontroller an output in easywether.dat format (Steve as recentetly extended the format to even support UV and Solar data, know as easyweatherplus.dat format).
You only need to have on the PC something like the Emita RS232 Data Logger (it's for Windows, but anyway you must use Windows to run Cumulus), to capture the output and put it on a file (easyweather.dat) that Cumulus reads at an interval defined by you (on Cumulus).

Sorry for my poor English.

I will follow your work, if you go for emulating a existing weather station. I don't have the knowledge to do that.
The freedom to choose the weather instruments you want
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »