Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

To webcam or not to webcam & what?!

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
westonweather
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: To webcam or not to webcam & what?!

Post by westonweather »

Just found out that IE doesn't play MJPEG, so anyone on IE won't see the moving image. I've set the "ALT" as wording to that effect so if the image on the webcam page doesn't load you get a link to webcam2.php which is an auto-refreshing static image.

I haven't used IE for years. Does anyone?

Is there anyway of detecting what browser someone is using with a script and either giving them a static image or an MJPEG depending on the browsers capability?
tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

westonweather wrote:
Is there anyway of detecting what browser someone is using with a script and either giving them a static image or an MJPEG depending on the browsers capability?
Without using javascript, you can use the method described here to have different content for IE and non IE users.

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/ht ... ct-ie.html

Instead of having separate code to for it, perhaps you could just point IE users at a download page for Firefox ;)
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

tumutbound wrote:
westonweather wrote:
Without using javascript, you can use the method described here to have different content for IE and non IE users.

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/ht ... ct-ie.html

Instead of having separate code to for it, perhaps you could just point IE users at a download page for Firefox ;)
I've used this code

Code: Select all

<!--[if IE]>
Place content here to target all Internet Explorer users.
<![endif]--> 
to provide a static image instead of an MJPEG, but IE 11 on Windows 8.1 just ignores it!

I think you're right...my message should read "get a proper browser!"
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nitrx »

As said earlier the way to go for streaming video or webvideo is mp4 / h264 it's supported by all modern browsers and on most portable devices like andoid phones / tablets / wpphones an appledevices.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

nitrx wrote:As said earlier the way to go for streaming video or webvideo is mp4 / h264 it's supported by all modern browsers and on most portable devices like andoid phones / tablets / wpphones an appledevices.
Which is all very well, but it's not supported by the camera...

To be honest, I'm not THAT bothered that it can't be viewed as a video in IE. There is always a still option and it DOES already work on my iPhone, iPad and I have tried it on the Samsung range of Android devices and works there also. Just IE being the odd ball.
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nitrx »

westonweather wrote: Which is all very well, but it's not supported by the camera...

To be honest, I'm not THAT bothered that it can't be viewed as a video in IE. There is always a still option and it DOES already work on my iPhone, iPad and I have tried it on the Samsung range of Android devices and works there also. Just IE being the odd ball.
I know anyway the latest IE versions do support mp4 I convert my images every night to mp4 for the timelapses.

http://editspace.sytes.net/movie