Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

IR on weathercams?

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
westonweather
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

IR on weathercams?

Post by westonweather »

Do any of you disable the IR lamps on your cams?

My Webcam has built in IR illumination which is pointless for a camera that's aimed at the sky, so thinking I might open the camera up and disable the IR illumination. I'm sure that without it you might actually be able to see the sky at night, where as with it the IR obliterates everything excepting falling rain which it illuminates rather well!
jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Re: IR on weathercams?

Post by jdc »

Can you not turn it off in the camera setup? I was helping someone with a Foscam the other day and the IR can be switched off but defaults to 'on' after a reboot.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

No, I just checked and definitely no software option to turn it off. Looks like I'll need to unscrew the front and snip a couple of wires.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

It was easier than anticipated. Unscrewed the front, popped out the IR lamp board, unplugged the 12V feed, popped the board back in and screwed it back together. Nice and simple. Will see what difference it's made later.
Last edited by westonweather on Fri 14 Feb 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

Update: Much better at night wothout IR illumination whiting out the image. Can even see the clouds moving past at gone 23:00. A noisy image due to low light, but can be seen ok.