Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Basic Help

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Basic Help

Post by robynfali »

Sorry, need some basic 101 help again!!

Managed to get my cumulus and yawcam back on one computer (YAY!!!)

But now I want to put the weather text back onto the picture, i know the word extravars has something to do with it, and did a quick search, but couldnt find clear instructions (bear in mind i am dumb), can anyone write me a basic instruction for it, if you have the time please

Thanks in advance
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: Basic Help

Post by robynfali »

Got it from another forum
Just create a "template" file, e.g. temperatureT.txt, anywhere on your PC, with the appropriate web tags(s) ie  Temp: <#temp>c Rain: <#rfall>mm Wind: <#wspeed>kph Pressure: <#press>hPa ) and add it to the files tab on the internet settings.

Give the name and location on your PC of the destination temperature.txt file as the remote file ie C:\Documents and Settings\<your user id>\.yawcam\extravars\{temperature}.txt. tick "process?" but don't tick "ftp?", and Cumulus will process and copy the file each time it does a web update.

Then in Yawcam go into "Settings" - "Edit Settings" - "Overlay - text" and add the {temperature} variable there.
ShawnInPaso
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win7

Post by ShawnInPaso »

Hi folks -

I've done this before but for the life of me cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. My goal is to create a 'temperatureT.txt file with current temp data.

I have TemperatureT.txt shown as the local file name in the INternet files tab. The file exist in the cumulus directory with the temp tag. The remote file name entry confuses me, so that may be where I have it wrong?

Just trying to create a text file with updated temp data, any help very much appreciated.

Shawn
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

ShawnInPaso wrote:The remote file name entry confuses me, so that may be where I have it wrong?
You need to put the full path and filename of where you want it to be on the server. Note that it doesn't use the directory that you may have configured for the 'standard' files, you have to tell it exactly where you want it to be.
Steve
ShawnInPaso

Post by ShawnInPaso »

Thanks for the speedy reply Steve.

I have entered the full path for both files. I noticed on another thread about the same subject that the filename was wrapped in parens like this: {filename}.txt

Is that necessary? Cant figure out what I've missed.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

ShawnInPaso wrote:I noticed on another thread about the same subject that the filename was wrapped in parens like this: {filename}.txt

Is that necessary? Cant figure out what I've missed.
I guess that would depend on what you're using it for, but the file name itself doesn't matter to Cumulus. The best thing to do is turn on ftp logging, and look in the ftplog.txt file for errors. Are you also uploading the 'standard' web site files, and are they being uploaded correctly?
Steve
ShawnInPaso

Post by ShawnInPaso »

Thanks Steve. Managed to figure it out. I had failed to tick the 'realtime' box in the sites/options tab.

I really appreciate the help and the terrific software.