Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webcam + Sky = white

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
ihouse
Weather Station: Iweather
Operating System: Windows 7

Webcam + Sky = white

Post by ihouse »

Hello Guys

This is my first post here however i have trolled in here for a while. I am slowly understanding cumulus and weather stations alot more than when i started and im feeling like i can contribute now.

I have a quick (i hope) question for those of you whom have played around with webcams and weather. I have a Logitech USB Webcam, which is probably 5 years old or so. When i use it for anything indoors its great however when i point it outside to use as a weathercam the whole screen goes white (too much light outside?) has anyone encountered this problem? Can you only use specific webcams for this purpose?

Cheers for your help in advance, and thanks for a great site.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Webcam + Sky = white

Post by steve »

I bought a webcam a while ago with the intention of pointing it out of the window, and got unusable results similar to yours. The manufacturer later told me it's not suitable for this purpose, I can't remember the technical term they used as the explanation.

Someone suggested a filter might help, but I haven't tried.
Steve
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

It could be that some webcams haven't got auto exposure or insufficient range of exposure to cover the brighter light outside.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Also the quality (cost) of the webcam influences the 'quality' of the output.
Geoff
fractonimbus
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro

Post by fractonimbus »

Old post, but I am in the same position - I wanted to set up my old Logitech Communicate STX (V-UBK45) webcam to take sky images. Result: horribly washed out images, unusable.

I did some ferreting around the Logitech forums and came across a potentially useful tip: turn off the "anti-flicker" setting. This limits the minimum exposure to 1/100 or 1/120 second (Europe/Oz/NZ or US/Canada/Japan) in order to integrate over the fluorescent light flicker cycle to cut web cam flicker. But those exposures are far too long for outdoors.

The story is (and I have not confirmed this yet as I'm at work - will in a few hours) that turning off anti-flicker allows minimum exposures as low as 1/1250 second and shows nice daylight images.

DN
fractonimbus
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro

Post by fractonimbus »

Yes, the 'turn off anti-flicker' control in the Logitech software works wonderfully well. The little Logitech webcam works down to near darkness, and up to full sunlight.

DN
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

just this week done mine, still messing with it, but i solved the "whiteout" problem by putting an old lens from a pair of sunglasses in front of it :D
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

robynfali wrote:just this week done mine, still messing with it, but i solved the "whiteout" problem by putting an old lens from a pair of sunglasses in front of it :D
What can I say 8-) good idea.
robynfali

Post by robynfali »

I am not saying its as good as the expensive ones, no where near it, but this was this morning, from a 13 quid webcam and a lens from a 2.99 pair of sunglasses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

you need an old pair of Autodim glasses.
robynfali

Post by robynfali »

I know mate, but this in the interim, is sort of working, blue sky etc, no clouds around at the moment or they would show up too
Gina

Post by Gina »

A polarising filter helps with the sky - makes blue sky darker. Of course, it does cut all the light by 50% too.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
robynfali

Post by robynfali »

Only one i have Gina is for my camera, and considering its a Canon Brand 58mm Circular polariser, its too bleedin expensive to sit in front of a 13 quid webcam lol, this is a temp fix, till I can get/afford something a bit better!
Gina

Post by Gina »

I bought polarisers for my webcams from Amazon and they were something like half that price. There were cheaper ones but I wanted small ones to fit the boxes I was using to protect the cameras. (I'm greedy, I've got two :lol one pointing south and the other pointing north.) Cheapest on Amazon ATM is just over a fiver. https://www.amazon.co.uk/7DS-Lens-Filte ... 24&sr=1-37
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Thread on using polarising filters is here :- https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2890
Gina