Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Siting a Weather Webcasm

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Siting a Weather Webcasm

Post by geoffw »

So I've ordered my Microsoft H5D-00003 Lifecam Cinema Webcam (Hope wife is not about next week when it arrives!) I'm going to make a weather-proof housing for it and mount it outside (perhaps in a window while I get the mounting sorted).

My question, or point of discussion is - In which direction do I point it?

If I point it towards the prevail wind direction (south west in the UK) it will suffer in stormy condition and weathering and also glare from the sun. If I place it in a more sheltered position it will be looking to the North and away from where our weather generally comes from.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated???
Last edited by geoffw on Sat 15 May 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Siting a Weather Webcasm

Post by Gina »

Very good question Geoff. I can see all your points and the conflict.

Not much choice here, we're on the SE side of a hill and there are farm buildings and big trees restricting the view to the north and big trees to the west. That leaves east and south. East would have the sun shining straight into the camera in the morning so that left somewhere around south. South also provides a long range view across and down the Otter Valley thereby providing visibility info (as well as a nice picture :lol:) My previous webcam tolerated a direct onslaught from the sun without any noticeable permanent damage. I have not yet had the sun in the image of this new camera, but I think it's quite possible today as it's sunny. The webcam is pointing more or less due south.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

We're in exactly the same situation. I've pointed mine as close to east without getting the direct sun in the morning as thats the direction for the best view. If I ever win lotto, I'll get the pine trees in the front yard cut down, then I'll be able to see the horizon all the way around to due south.

During Summer there's a small gap in the trees to the N-N,E, but that's currently getting the morning sun. Any further North and all you'll see is the neighbours houses up the hill. I don't think they'd appreciate that. :?
Gina

Post by Gina »

We have neighbours to the SW which is why my weathercam faces south, just avoiding their property. Attached pic from Google maps with lines added in GIMP shows local cam coverage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll try to line it up to the S/SW as that is where the weather tends to come from, and see how it copes with the sun.

Something else occurs to me. I'm going to fabricate a housing for it with a glass window on the front. I suppose I should position the lens as close to the glass screen as possible and use high quality photographic clear filter to avoid focussing issues.

But as it is the sky we are most interested in, wouldn't a Polarising filter make a difference to deepen the blue of the sky and increase the contrast with the clouds. Generally giving a more punchy and accurate image?
Geoff
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

As an aside ....

If you are going to make a housing, don't forget it needs to be ventilated and perhaps heated to avoid condensation / high humidity.

Most electrics don't like 'normal' wet weather. ie. RH >85%
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:Thanks for the comments. I think I'll try to line it up to the S/SW as that is where the weather tends to come from, and see how it copes with the sun.
The sun is currently too high in the sky when the horizontal angle is within range - at least it is here with the camera elevation angle I'm using.
Something else occurs to me. I'm going to fabricate a housing for it with a glass window on the front. I suppose I should position the lens as close to the glass screen as possible and use high quality photographic clear filter to avoid focussing issues.
I agree with that :) Must admit, I hadn't thought of using a photographic filter - great idea!
But as it is the sky we are most interested in, wouldn't a Polarising filter make a difference to deepen the blue of the sky and increase the contrast with the clouds. Generally giving a more punchy and accurate image?
Another great thought. I've been playing with the brightness and other settings for the video processor and getting it right to show the clouds was quite tricky.

I don't think you'd need to spend a lot on a filter - we're not talking about photographic quality, 1280 x 720 is just under 1 megapixel - not high definition by photographic standards.

I'll be interested to see other people's views on this :)

EDIT... This looks suitable :- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Digital-Re ... 292&sr=1-9 Most filters are rather big - this one is 34mm. There are smaller ones but they cost more.
Gina

hills

Post by hills »

Mine is up fairly close to the glass just so that the housing doesn't get in the way of the image. Just remember to cover the blue LED or that reflects off the glass and creates a blue circle in the picture. ;)

If you don't turn autofocus off, when there are rain drops on the glass the camera will focus on them and the background will just be a blur.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

hills wrote:Mine is up fairly close to the glass just so that the housing doesn't get in the way of the image. Just remember to cover the blue LED or that reflects off the glass and creates a blue circle in the picture. ;)

If you don't turn autofocus off, when there are rain drops on the glass the camera will focus on them and the background will just be a blur.
When the autofocus is switched off does the webcam default to 'infinity' or is there a manual focus?

Regarding the Polarising filter, a friend of mine has a Logitech HD Webcam. I might take my camera polariser round and ask him if we can try it. I suppose the question would then be, how might a polerising filter stand up to the weathering?
Geoff
hills

Post by hills »

When you turn autofocus off, the focus remains where it was when you turned it off. Just next to where you turn it off in Yawcam there is a slide bar that you can manually adjust the focus with - along with slidebars for every other adjustable feature of the camera. Only about 3 of them can be automatic from memory. This camera works really well when controlled by Yawcam, I have never used the software supplied with the camera.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Thanks Phil, I hope to have my camera by the weekend!
Geoff
Solorize
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Win 10, XP, Xubuntu, Linux Mint

CCTV code of practice

Post by Solorize »

Here is some interesting info:

The below is an extract of a post that I found here: http://www.thinkypedia.com/question/69587/
The Data Protection Act (1998) defines legal control over CCTV surveillance cameras in public areas and previously stipulated that you could cover your own property and only your own property without falling foul of any law. In addition, you use any video surveillance as evidence, signs needed to be posted advising that CCTV was in use.

The law has now changed to allow household cameras to overlook the street without having to comply with the Data Protection Act. The government code of practice for this legislation says:

"The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt."

There is nothing beholden on whoever is operating private residential CCTV to have any signage whatsoever.

However, you would still need to consult with the owners of any neighbouring domestic areas that might be covered or border the area monitored by the equipment. You can only record your own property or public property.

See: http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/ ... overs.html

Contrary to popular believe, the Human Rights Act has no relevance in cases like this. This Act ensures that your human rights are respected by public authorities and makes it unlawful for them to act against your rights. It has no jurisdiction over individuals, it is to prevent institutionalised abuse of human rights.
Cumulus Real Time Data Grabber
http://bit.ly/WjBh5z

Wokingham Berkshire - weather station
http://www.wokinghamweather.co.uk

CGM UKScene Radio (pi)
http://cgmuksceneradio-pi.noip.me/