Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Up and Running BUT *Auto Refresh Images*

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
kanulondon
Weather Station: Fine Offset / Watson W-8681
Operating System: Windows Home Server

Up and Running BUT *Auto Refresh Images*

Post by kanulondon »

So after spending the last 12 months thinking about it, I just bit the bullet and bought a indoor DLINK 930 L Network camera.

http://www.southqueensferryweather.co.uk/webcam.htm

I read the reviews on how to setup and copied code from other members (thanks ALL!!)

I wanted to setup an outdoor camera, but when I have an indoor view of the bridges like this I thought it would be silly. The camera is also less obstrusive indoors than out.

I want to know how to force the page to refresh however, any ideas?

I will also look to move to a proper hosted solution soon and get some time lapses going. I am not using Yawcam as yet, just the web interface from DLINK which is pretty good out the box.

KL
Last edited by kanulondon on Mon 15 Oct 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanulondon

Re: Up and Running BUT AUTO REFRESH

Post by kanulondon »

No help?

I think I may have fixed it anyway by sending the image to weather underground and then using the appropriate tags on my website.

The image pulled through contains the current temp and other salient info (which I was looking to add anyway) but it also refreshes automagically

KL
ironeagleuk
Weather Station: Maplins N96GY (Watson W-8681)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Re: Up and Running BUT *Auto Refresh Images*

Post by ironeagleuk »

Take a look at the source of my webcam page....it refreshes every 60 seconds, but as am no webpage designer, I can't remember exactly which portion does the refresh....but there are comments in there that may help

http://www.ironeagleuk.co.uk/cumulus/webcam.htm
Richard

kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

ironeagleuk wrote:Take a look at the source of my webcam page....it refreshes every 60 seconds, but as am no webpage designer, I can't remember exactly which portion does the refresh....but there are comments in there that may help

http://www.ironeagleuk.co.uk/cumulus/webcam.htm
Thanks Richard.

By linking to images stored on WU, I believe the page is kind of refreshing. However I realised as it's using flash no one with iPad or iPhone can view

Oh well

KL
aduncan
Weather Station: Weathereye WEA22
Operating System: Win7

Post by aduncan »

I,ve been this way before you, and got a lot of help from kind people. I'm using Yawcam to ftp a picture every 10 seconds to my website, and there is code in my template to update the whole page every 10 seconds as well. Have a look at these threads:

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7375

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4720

I'm using a Dlink 932, so if you need any help with settings, just shout.

Andrew
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

Thanks aduncan. I will have a good read of those links to get a better understanding of the refresh code.

Can I ask why your using Yawcam though? When you can configure the DLINK network camera to directly FTP to a destination of your liking? I've heard so much about the software but by using the inbuilt FTP uploading to Weather underground I get a free excellent store of data and a half decent image time lapse

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... IMIDLOTH13

My main concern now though, is that the webcam pages are toally flash. I only realised when I tried brining up the webcam view on my wife's ipad. So no Apple users will see that page.

However I like the fact the webcam images are auto updated and have embedded weather data. I understand there is a way of getting such data embedded directly to the JPEG file, that way I could do away with the excessive use of flash

KL
aduncan

Post by aduncan »

I can upload images straight from the webcam to my website, but I use Yawcam to put some text overlay. Yawcam is a processor hungry beast though, and sometimes bring my little 1 Ghz Via board to its knees. I really should find out how to programme text overlay at the html end.

Re the flash problem, getting your own website would solve that. I use E-rice which is about 10 dollars p.a. , and it cost about 10 pound for website registration. Means your then in control.

Andrew
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

aduncan wrote:I can upload images straight from the webcam to my website, but I use Yawcam to put some text overlay. Yawcam is a processor hungry beast though, and sometimes bring my little 1 Ghz Via board to its knees. I really should find out how to programme text overlay at the html end.

Re the flash problem, getting your own website would solve that. I use E-rice which is about 10 dollars p.a. , and it cost about 10 pound for website registration. Means your then in control.

Andrew
Thanks for the response Andrew.

I was previously running my website on a small dual core netbook, but since moving to my proper domain I now have a Linux Hosting package, so I am in control. It's great and I have configured everything to update. One of the reasons I stayed away from Yawcam is that my netbook is on running 24/7 and is already doing a good few things and I didn't want to burden it with Yawcam when the DLINK out the box has it's own FTP capabilities.

I guess I don't understand how having my hosting package would resolve my flash problems though?

The way I see it . . . I want what Weather Underground currently provides me with for free, but without the flash!

The only way to do that is to figure out how to get the weather data printed directly to the given JPEG. I know it can be done as I have see others do it. I am just not sure how long it will take and I don't think it will look a nice as the WU code. However the issue with the WU code is that it doesn't work on Apple Stuff . . :-(

I don't mind the time lapse not working (also flash) but the webcam image really should get sorted at some point.

I initially configured it without the WU code, where it was just a normal image in the middle of the page. So I can do that fix whenever, but since I probably check my website more than anyone else. I thought I'd just keep it as all my devices support flash :)
aduncan

Post by aduncan »

kanulondon wrote: I guess I don't understand how having my hosting package would resolve my flash problems though?
Sorry, I didn't notice you already had your own hosting package. I meant that you could simply ftp images to your own page without going through WU, that way there is no Flash involved. But I see you can do that already :oops:
I've been doing some research on adding text either in or under my JPG, just need some time and Notepad + to have a fiddle.

Btw, I see the weather was not any brighter over your side of the country today !!

Andrew
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

aduncan wrote:
kanulondon wrote: I guess I don't understand how having my hosting package would resolve my flash problems though?
Sorry, I didn't notice you already had your own hosting package. I meant that you could simply ftp images to your own page without going through WU, that way there is no Flash involved. But I see you can do that already :oops:
I've been doing some research on adding text either in or under my JPG, just need some time and Notepad + to have a fiddle.

Btw, I see the weather was not any brighter over your side of the country today !!

Andrew
I am actually away but my solar panel data tells me it must have been pretty dreary if it didn't register even 1kwh generated!

I appreciate your help Andrew! I didn't make my current hosting clear. I actually hosted the website on my windows home server for over a year on the previously mentioned netbook. I keep the lid closed and all energy settings up, it uses less than 10w on full load :)

However I am glad I switched over to a dedicated hosting package

KL