Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Overlay Weather Data with Cumulus and Yawcam..HELP!

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
RoanokeWX
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7

Overlay Weather Data with Cumulus and Yawcam..HELP!

Post by RoanokeWX »

I found an old topic that discussed overlaying your weather data on your webcam using Cumulus and Yawcam to upload to WU. I tried using the method in the thread, but could not get it to work. How do I go about overlaying my data? I can't seem to get it to work..

I created the 'temperatureT.txt' template in C:\Cumulus and placed it under local filenames in Cumulus. I made the remote filename go to C:\Users\MyUser\.yawcam\extravars\{temperature}.txt but all I see in the {temperature}.txt is 15C+

Do I go to C:\Users\MyUser\.yawcam\extravars\{temperature}.txt and edit it and add <#temp>F like my temperatureT.txt file or does it update it on it's own? Because I can't make Cumulus make the temperature file with my updated data. Either way, I can't get anything to work and I'm quite confused.
ironeagleuk
Weather Station: Maplins N96GY (Watson W-8681)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Re: Overlay Weather Data with Cumulus and Yawcam..HELP!

Post by ironeagleuk »

Richard

uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Yeah, that thread sorted me .
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
RoanokeWX

Post by RoanokeWX »

ironeagleuk wrote:Have you looked at this thread?

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2914
Yes. Did everything in that thread, but Cumulus wouldn't create the temperature.txt file.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

What does your input file (temperatureT.txt) contain?
Steve
RoanokeWX

Post by RoanokeWX »

steve wrote:What does your input file (temperatureT.txt) contain?
<#temp>f Rain: <#rfall>in Wind: <#wspeed>mph Pressure: <#press>mb
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Looks OK to me, I can't see any reason Cumulus wouldn't be able to process that and create an output file from it. Could you show screen shots of both tabs of your internet settings screen, please?
Steve
RoanokeWX

Post by RoanokeWX »

steve wrote:Looks OK to me, I can't see any reason Cumulus wouldn't be able to process that and create an output file from it. Could you show screen shots of both tabs of your internet settings screen, please?
Sure can.

Do I need to add anything into the {temperature}.txt file that's already in the extravars folder? The only thing I see in it right now is 15C+. Should Cumulus automatically update that file that's there?

I suppose I could be doing the output wrong. I copied the location of C:\Users\MyUse\.yawcam\extravars\{temperature}.txt and pasted it in the remote area on Cumulus. Is that correct?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You don't put anything into the {temperature}.txt file, Cumulus creates that using the 'local' file as a template. If C:\Users\MyUse\.yawcam\extravars\{temperature}.txt is the correct location for your output file, that's what you put in the 'remote' box. That's just the 'files' tab you've shown - what about the other one?
Steve
RoanokeWX

Post by RoanokeWX »

steve wrote:You don't put anything into the {temperature}.txt file, Cumulus creates that using the 'local' file as a template. If C:\Users\MyUse\.yawcam\extravars\{temperature}.txt is the correct location for your output file, that's what you put in the 'remote' box. That's just the 'files' tab you've shown - what about the other one?
I don't have anything there because I don't have a site to upload to. Do I need a personal website to add overlays?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You need to tick 'auto update' if you want it to do anything. The 'extra files' are intended as an additional option to updating a web site, but you can use it just to process your own files locally. But you have to actually enable the scheduling if you want it to do it automatically.
Steve
RoanokeWX

Post by RoanokeWX »

Alright I ticked 'Auto Update' and changed the interval to 10 minutes.

Still only getting 15C+ to show up in the {temperature}.txt file.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think you must have the wrong path to your remote file. There's no way that Cumulus could generate "15C+" from the template contents you quoted, so you presumably created that file and its contents yourself. If you look in the latest file in the diags folder, there may be an error message from when it tried to copy the file. It should also be creating a file called 'temperatureT.txttmp' in the same place as the temperatureT.txt. The 'tmp' file has the same contents that your eventual {temperature}.txt file will contain (Cumulus just copies one to the other).
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Is the {temperature}.txt file actually being updated - is the timestamp changing?
Steve
RoanokeWX

Post by RoanokeWX »

steve wrote:I think you must have the wrong path to your remote file. There's no way that Cumulus could generate "15C+" from the template contents you quoted, so you presumably created that file and its contents yourself. If you look in the latest file in the diags folder, there may be an error message from when it tried to copy the file. It should also be creating a file called 'temperatureT.txttmp' in the same place as the temperatureT.txt. The 'tmp' file has the same contents that your eventual {temperature}.txt file will contain (Cumulus just copies one to the other).
The 15C+ was already in that file. I'm not sure how it got there, but I never added it in. I am seeing 'temperatureT.txttmp' now, but it's not updating the {temperature}.txt file.