Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

affixing webcam to window

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
kingqueen
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / Fine Offset 1081
Operating System: Windows 7 HP 64 bit

affixing webcam to window

Post by kingqueen »

I currently have an ungainly "solution" whereby I have a polarising filter Gaffa-taped to the window and then an ancient rubbish (but still functioning!) webcam Gaffa-taped on top. The window is opened and shut to my comfort, it's hinged at the top.

Putting the webcam on a stand doesn't work as the reflections are bad, the webcam has to be right up against the window / filter to stop this. The gaffa tape also reduces a lot of the reflections.

It's not great, though. I'm not bothered about its unsightliness - it's in my terminally unsightly and untidy study - but the gaffa tape gradually "gives", no matter how and how much I affix. The webcam gradually moves. I can imagine that this will also be worse in the summer as the sun melts the gaffa tape glue.

I tried sticking the webcam to the window with silicone, that didn't work, the silicone never really set properly.

Any other suggestions or solutions gratefully received!

thanks

tomcatuk
Weather Station: ----> Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2 19042.685

Re: affixing webcam to window

Post by tomcatuk »

Maybe use a tomtom mount that sticks on the window, had a dial that once stuck on screws down on the sucker to give a really good grip, and if the camera is not to big and heavy you could use tie straps to hold it on the bracket....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-9UCB-001 ... 2_edpp_url

Or a similar type of mount....
Regards Steve
g0hdi
Weather Station: 'Maplin' USB WH1081
Operating System: XP SP2

Post by g0hdi »

Hi!, I see your problem with sticking the camera to the window, but how about trying something else, that I'm going to....Sooner or later ;)

I see your window is open anyway, so why not put the camera just outside, maybe using an extension usb lead. Yes I know it's not waterproof, but the idea I have is to buy one of those cheap security lights from B&Q for a fiver and stripping out the halogen bulb and reflector. Can't be too difficult to wedge the camera in there against the glass. Probably work forcing the swing glass door against the camera that's sat in some foam. Maybe a few of those foam washing up pads from the pound shop. voila! watertight. Have to drill out an access in hole the bottom to get the usb plug/ cable through of course, and maybe more small ventilation holes in the bottom to stop possible condensation.

You'll get rain on the glass of course, but then again you get it on your window, so no worse off. My camera works on an extension usb cable from Maplin ok, but I don't have an inviting enough view from my place to get me exited enough about the project so far. Best I could do is point it either straight up, or toward the Calshot Power station chimney. Well I suppose the smoke would be a giveaway to the wind strength/direction at least :D . I envy those guys with clear views over the open country side or the sea, but I'm mainly surrounded by trees here.

Anyway friend, good luck with your project.

Regards
Brian http://www.qsl.net/g0hdi/wx/system.htm
kingqueen

Post by kingqueen »

Thank you both for the ideas! - both good ones.

I'll go for the easier first, the tomtom mount - will get one off Ebay - and if that doesn't work, I'll go for the outdoors sealed container option.

Thanks
g0hdi

Post by g0hdi »

Hi again!, well it shows when you put your mind to it etc.

I though I'd make the effort to put my idea into practice. Got me a security light on the way home. Less than a fiver in B&Q. Stripped absolutely everything out of it and drilled a hole in the bottom big enough to get the usb plug through. Didn't fancy the alternative of un-soldering the connections on the camera end.

Anyway, as you can probably make out from the enclosed pic of the camera in situ that I've included on my test page, I used a couple of foam pan scrubbers to hold the cam tightly against the front glass. The lead just reached, and under, the eave of my add-on radio shack. Therefore out of the wet. However, I used insulating tape to make sure the connection to the extension usb was damp proof. The support arm was from a redundant Oregon WMR88 wx center, so you'll have to use your ingenuity there. Remains to be seen if I get misting up problems, but it's ok for now. Dull and overcast at the moment, so I don't know if the cheapo cam is up to discerning cloud edges etc. If not, I'll have to talk my wallet into financing an up-market camera :shock:

Don't have the beautiful vistas to look at that some guys/galls have on the forum, but I guess I should be thankfull I'm not surrounded by high rise flats etc. I can see a bit of sky over the back yards anyway:D Had the thing up and a test page loaded in under 2 hours ;)

Test page http://www.qsl.net/g0hdi/wx/wxcam.htm

Cheers!, Brian
kingqueen

Post by kingqueen »

Brian,

Wow that's great! It looks fantastic! Thank you. I can see myself ending up with one of those :-)

When feeding USB cables through walls, holes etc. I don't unsolder them from the camera, I generally cut them in two then resolder each of the four wires (+ shield wire if there is one). It's easier than unsoldering from the camera itself, and resoldering.

My camera is very cheapo and doesn't get good cloud definition. Solution: a polarising filter. I bought a £1 set of childrens' 3D glasses on Ebay, cut out the requisite shape and stuck it in front of the camera. Clouds and sky are now more defined; e.g. Image

All the best to you.
g0hdi

Post by g0hdi »

Good idea!. Polarizing filter. I'll dig out my old photography stuff. Used to be really into that in the 'celluloid film' days. Just after the Norman Conquest, I think it was ;) Might still have a filter lurking amongst the cobwebs somewhere :D

Brian
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

I have used the 150w lamps striped out to fit web cams into for a while just sealed the holes up with silicon sealant. I also put desiccant packs inside to help reduce moisture from condensation inside the housing as well as help hold the camera in place. They do need to be changed and the old ones dried out but so far not had any problems with them. Cheaper alternative to full blown water proof cctv camera's.
g0hdi

Post by g0hdi »

Hi Bruce45, Thanks for the info. My set-up is basically a quick lash-up experiment, but I'ts not too bad so far. The focusing could be better, if possible on my cheapo camera, so I'll be up the ladder later today. It's too overcast to experiment with the filters I've found. Had an idea of finding the polaroid clip on sun glasses in the stores I used to use before my reactalight prescription lenses. One of those lenses might help.

As to the security cam idea. I would prefer that option, and already have said cams covering the approach to my front door and inside the car port. However, the problem there is that they are not usb. Maybe I'm not seeing the woods for the trees here, but how do you/I use a security cam as a Yawcam source?.

Cheers for now
Brian
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

if you are wanting to use the feed from a cctv camera there are video convertors which take video and audio to usb. main use for them was to copy vhs tapes to avi or mpeg format. not sure if you can still get them but I have used them and they work ok, don't no if you could link it up as a webcam. my comment about a cheaper version to cctv cameras was by using cheap webcams inside the lamp housing so that they could be used as cctv cameras. only down side to that is the light level's at night may be to low to see anything.

bruce
g0hdi

Post by g0hdi »

Ok Bruce, understood. I'll stick with this set-up for the time being, see how it shapes up when the sun comes out.....Maybe August? :D

We're not talking Met Office here after all :D Just a new toy for a radio/gadget nut ;)

System will go off-line now as I'm going out. The power is killed to my radio shack at such times, which contains the weather related computer. Back about mid-day I expect.

Cheers!
Brian
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

This is one that's been up for some time without any problems. Yes the lamp housing is mounted vertically this is so you can pan the camera full 180 degrees without having to keep opening the housing. You can see an old sunglasses lens that is used as a filter as this camera looks west most of the time and just to try and reduce some of the glare.
Image0012.jpg
This is what the camera is looking at
0.jpg
The hills lower right are the Isle Of Mull viewed from Oban.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bruce45 on Fri 22 Mar 2013 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kingqueen

Post by kingqueen »

A lovely view.

Regarding focussing the webcam. G0hdi your webcam looks similar to mine, with a focussing ring that is all too easy to move? What I did is I connected it to my computer and focussed it clearly as possible on infinity / the horizon. I them used a marker to put a mark on both the focussing ring and on the body, so that when I put it in its final location I can be sure it's still focussed on infinity. Don't know if that helps.

I'm awaiting materials delivered from Ebay to improve my mount from its current Gaffa-tape mess! - I'm trying the tomtom mount first and then a security light if that doesn't do the do. I'm disabled and live in a small town without a B&Q or similar so getting stuff is difficult, Internet shopping is a great boon to me - but it means waiting for delivery.

Cheers

D
g0hdi

Post by g0hdi »

Got a much better view than I Bruce. Nice one!. I'm up a quiet country lane here with very limited options, mainly due to trees. Still I'm pleased I managed to get something up at least. Thanks for your input.

D, I sympathize with your circumstances re health and lack of a decent DIY store in physical reach. Looks like 'Shopping on line' is the only answer for you. I live 15 miles out of city, but have an aging motor to get me there. Funny, but aging now means 12 years old. In the sixties we expected them to last 20 or more, no problem. Bring back the Morris Minor, but at the original thickness of metal ;) Practically poke your finger through the latest efforts :cry:

Anyway, I did try to pre-focus the camera before putting it up, but didn't like the result in situ. Today I've been up and down the ladder more times than that (in the rain) tweaking it back and forth to get it better. At the same time playing with the Yawcam settings. I was trying to reach a compromise with the foreground and clarity of trees in the distance without over-exposing sky background. Difficult as the filters I have are not much good, seeing as most were bought to suit black and white photography anyway. Don't have a polarizing one.

The camera lens adjustment is now fixed by pressure of the glass front of the security light housing, so doesn't need pre-fixing in place. If the image stays the same in the morning I'll leave well alone now. This morning I noticed that the image was well overexposed compared with yesterday. Strange!.

Dark now (18:48) so might as well shut it off.

Cheers all
Brian
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

its better than were I have the weather station, just surrounded by houses. the weather station is where I work as a full time carer for someone who is disabled but the view is from my flat. its not the best as its ground floor and much better from the 2nd floor but usb been usb cant really extend it that much. plus not sure what there would think me putting a webcam next to there bedroom window. :oops: having the lamp vertical means I can pan it from due south to west. no point trying north or east just looking at a rock face.