Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

What is an acceptable computer CPU usage for Cumulus

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
Touchtone
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & FARS
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

What is an acceptable computer CPU usage for Cumulus

Post by Touchtone »

I am using Cumulus beta v 1.9.4 build 1076 & wish to know what a normal CPU usage should be when running Cumulus.
As I have had to change the VP2 sleep interval from zero to 2 seconds to keep the update time to more than 1 second I have noticed that the CPU usage at zero was about 3.8% & at 2 seconds (2000) it is now about 1.5%.
Comments & information would be appreciated.
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: What is an acceptable computer CPU usage for Cumulus

Post by BCJKiwi »

Well it will depend on the machine Cumulus is running in and how much work you are asking it to do. It will also depend on how you are measuring it.
My Cumulus PC is an older Acer Notebook running Win7.
Celeron 420 1.6 GHz with 2 Gb Ram
But it is sending data to the internet (website, CWOP, WU & PWS) plus two local systems and building a number of extra files - 6 entries altogether in the files list.

Windows resource monitor shows Cumulus' service using 0 between loop packets, 2 to 3% for short periods with spikes of 12-15% at realtime and FTP intervals. The total CPU runs at 5-12% most of the time with spikes to 80-90% at FTP upload times.
Last edited by BCJKiwi on Fri 24 May 2013 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Touchtone

Post by Touchtone »

Thanks BCJKiwi for your info. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on an Intel chipset Gigabyte Technology EP31-DS3L Mother board with 2.00 GB RAM, 32 bit operating system & 1.86 Ghz 2 core processor.
I don't upload to the web & I run Cumulus just as a stand alone weather station. So my resources usage would be minimal, in comparison to yours.
I can see from your information that there can be a very wide variation in the usage.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I run Cumulus on a reasonably high-powered server with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and 8GB RAM. It runs at 0-2% CPU most of the time, with a very brief increase to about 20% when it processes the web pages before upload. But in general, it will depend on the power of the system, which weather station is being used, the complexity of any web pages being processed, etc.

Hopefully people aren't going to get too obsessed with CPU usage. Basically, if it isn't using most of the CPU and causing the system to run hot, or preventing other tasks being performed, then it's not an issue.
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:Hopefully people aren't going to get too obsessed with CPU usage. Basically, if it isn't using most of the CPU and causing the system to run hot, or preventing other tasks being performed, then it's not an issue.
Precisely Steve. Another point to make about energy use is switching off the display for as long as possible. My netbook has the lid closed except for short periods of maintenance and that makes a substantial difference to power usage.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I suspect that minimising Cumulus will also reduce CPU usage; and turning off the animation for the wind speed gauge has a significant effect.
Steve
Touchtone

Post by Touchtone »

I certainly did not intend it to become an issue as I can see where that could go, with some people becoming obsessed with it.
I really only wanted some information as a guide to a reasonably normal figure if there is such a thing.
Hopefully an avalanche of questions on this will not happen.