Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Longest dry period - date

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
Graham64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

Longest dry period - date

Post by Graham64 »

Steve
I think there may be a small anomaly in the way that the record editor deals with the Longest dry period dates.

Today have been using the excellent All time records editor and Cumulus had already set up the longest dry period as 20 days with a date of 07/03/2013. However when I clicked the Fetch dayfile data button it imported 20 days with a date on 06/03/2013. See image attached. If I click the copy button it changes the record date from 07/03/2013 to 06/03/2013.

The last day I recorded a dry day was 06/03/2013 - it rained on 07/03/2013.

I suppose the question is what does the date represent, the last dry day or the first day of rain?

However either way there seems to be an inconsistency in the method that the editor/dayfile imports deal with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Longest dry period - date

Post by steve »

It's intended to be the date of the last dry day. On that basis, if it rained on 7/3 then the editor is correct and the existing record is wrong. Do you use a midnight end of day, or 0900?
Steve
Graham64

Post by Graham64 »

I use a midnight roll-over
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The code which logs the all-time longest dry period uses the same date that the all-time longest wet period code uses - they both use 'yesterday' at the time the rollover is done, which should be just after midnight. Given that your all-time longest wet period apparently has the correct date, this suggests that something odd happened when doing the rollover on the 6th/7th.

Do you run Cumulus 24/7 or stop it overnight? I don't suppose you still have the diags files from that time?

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has the same issue; I don't, but it will depend on a number of factors (rollover time, whether Cumulus is stopped overnight, station type...)
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

fwiw I don't have the issue either, both the all time record and dayfile bring up 6/3/13 for me.
Graham64

Post by Graham64 »

Apologies to all - I think I now know the cause.

Even though it was only 14 days ago I had forgotten that because of a problem with the rain-collector I had to alter the daily rainfall amounts in dayfile.txt for the period 7th - 9th March. This, I assume, made it difficult for Cumulus to work out records.

At that time I changed the length of the longest dry period but perhaps I got the date incorrect.

Steve, just to clarify, the date associated with the Longest dry period, is it the last dry day or the first day of rain, remembering that I have a midnight roll-over?

Once again, sorry about bothering you - blame it on another senior moment and not keeping a log of manual changes I make!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Graham64 wrote:Steve, just to clarify, the date associated with the Longest dry period, is it the last dry day or the first day of rain, remembering that I have a midnight roll-over?
It's the date of the last dry day.
Once again, sorry about bothering you - blame it on another senior moment and not keeping a log of manual changes I make!
No problem; I suspect that there actually are some 'off by one' bugs here and there anyway in the timestamping of some of the records.
Steve
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

any chance to do a change to longest dry period in hours. after all this is the west coast and between the showers it rains, or so it seems. could that be why we have a lovely green landscape. roll on summer so I can set up the kids swimming pool to fill up and have them complaining they cant use it as the penguins have moved in. :lol: