Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Alarm bug?

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Alarm bug?

Post by Mapantz »

I have my wind gust threshold set to 24mph, it's a windy day today and it has gone off a few times.
I was just glancing at my station and had a few gusts exceeding it but realised Cumulus wasn't sounding the alarm anymore, i closed it down and restarted it and it started working again.

Cumulus v1.9.4 (1068)

Cheers.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Alarm bug?

Post by steve »

Do you mean just the alarm sound or the indicator on the main screen as well? Do you reset the alarm each time, or just leave it?
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:Do you mean just the alarm sound or the indicator on the main screen as well? Do you reset the alarm each time, or just leave it?
The actual sound, i don't touch anything else as i've never had a problem with it.
I reckon i probably had maybe ten gusts over 24mph within half an hour, i thought my volume was down to begin with, so i just restarted Cumulus and voila! Back to normal!

Saying that, it's stopped again.

I clicked the red 'Gust' and it sounds the alarm again and goes back to red.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If the visual indicator was changing, then it would have been attempting to play the sound. It simply calls a the Windows 'playsound' function to do that. If that doesn't reliably work, there's nothing I can do about it, sorry.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mapantz wrote:I clicked the red 'Gust' and it sounds the alarm again and goes back to red.
If the label is red then the alarm is already active, so it's not going to play the sound again.
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:If the visual indicator was changing, then it would have been attempting to play the sound. It simply calls a the Windows 'playsound' function to do that. If that doesn't reliably work, there's nothing I can do about it, sorry.
When you say 'Reset' the alarm each time, does clicking the red gust indicator reset it?

Just saw your above post, i click the red indicator but it just sounds the alarm again and anything over 24mph still doesn't go off.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mapantz wrote:When you say 'Reset' the alarm each time, does clicking the red gust indicator reset it?
Yes, as described in the help. If you reset an active alarm, it's almost certainly going to activate again immediately.
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:
Mapantz wrote:When you say 'Reset' the alarm each time, does clicking the red gust indicator reset it?
Yes, as described in the help. If you reset an active alarm, it's almost certainly going to activate again immediately.
Ah ok, so basically i have to wait until the winds drop and the red indicator disappears?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mapantz wrote:Ah ok, so basically i have to wait until the winds drop and the red indicator disappears?
Yes, it's already warned you that the gust value has exceeded your set figure. It won't warn you again unless it goes back down again and then subsequently exceeds your set figure again. This is how all of the alarms work.
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:
Mapantz wrote:Ah ok, so basically i have to wait until the winds drop and the red indicator disappears?
Yes, it's already warned you that the gust value has exceeded your set figure. It won't warn you again unless it goes back down again and then subsequently exceeds your set figure again. This is how all of the alarms work.

That's cool.
I honestly didn't know, as it never used to happen? I'm guessing a change was made that i didn't know of?

All is good now i know though. :D
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mapantz wrote:I honestly didn't know, as it never used to happen? I'm guessing a change was made that i didn't know of?
Ah - good point. Yes, I changed it in build 1067 so that the high gust alarm operates on the actual gust figure - the calculated 10-minute peak - rather than the "latest", as someone pointed out that it wasn't sensible to keep sounding the alarm when the latest reading was hovering around the configured setting.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Here's a thread about the change: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9712

The other issue with the old system, as pointed out in that thread, was that you were unlikely to catch the alarm with the web tag in its activated state.
Steve