Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Questions about the rain fields in realtimegauges.txt

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

lloydh
Weather Station: Home made
Operating System: Centos 7

Questions about the rain fields in realtimegauges.txt

Post by lloydh »

My first post. I started last year building a weather station from scratch, the only already built components I intend purchasing are a rain gauge and anemometer/wind direction. I am not using Cumulus but I am using the SteelSeries Gauges and I am hoping to have something live in the next month or so.

So far with temperatures, pressure and humidity etc I have been able to understand what all the fields in realtimegauges.txt are for but with rain I am not sure what some of the fields are for and I am hoping somebody can explain them for me.

"LastRainTipISO" I understand and I know the format to use for this.
"rfall" I assume is the accumulated rainfall for 24 hours starting at midnight and reset to zero at midnight.
"rrate" I assume is the rain rate in mm/h but over what period of time is this measured or calculated, over an hour or less.
"rrateTM" and "TrrateTM" will be the maximum rain rate for the 24 hours and the time it occurred from the values above, am I correct.
"hourlyrainTH" and "ThourlyrainTH" I'm not quite sure about these, is this the actual measured rain maximum over one hour and the time it occurred.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Questions about the rain fields in realtimegauges.txt

Post by mcrossley »

lloydh wrote: "rfall" I assume is the accumulated rainfall for 24 hours starting at midnight and reset to zero at midnight.
Correct - unless the user uses a 9am meteorological day.
lloydh wrote: "rrate" I assume is the rain rate in mm/h but over what period of time is this measured or calculated, over an hour or less.
Depends on the station. I think most calculate using the time between the last two bucket tips - with a max time of course when it reverts to zero.
lloydh wrote: "rrateTM" and "TrrateTM" will be the maximum rain rate for the 24 hours and the time it occurred from the values above, am I correct.
Correct.
lloydh wrote: "hourlyrainTH" and "ThourlyrainTH" I'm not quite sure about these, is this the actual measured rain maximum over one hour and the time it occurred.
Yes, max accumulation in a rolling 1 hour window.

You may want to look in the Cumulus Wiki, the field names used in the SS gauges are the same as the Cumulus web tag names.
http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Webtags
lloydh
Weather Station: Home made
Operating System: Centos 7

Re: Questions about the rain fields in realtimegauges.txt

Post by lloydh »

Mark, thank you very much for your comprehensive reply, that's exactly what I needed and I have bookmarked the Wiki page which I will need in the future.