Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

SteelSeries Gauges - version 1.0

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: SteelSeries Gauges - version 1.0

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, something got 'broken' between GitHub version 0.9.17 and version 0.10.0... :evil:

This SteelSeries Weather Gauges page uses version 0.9.17.

This SteelSeries Weather Gauges page uses version 0.10.0.

Both pages are using the same 'gauges' JavaScript (except for the version number).

Both page are produced by the same template (except the different names for the 'steelseries-min' and 'tween-min' scripts).

More precisely, have a look at the 4 linear gauges (bottom half of the page), look at their frames - more so for the rainfall gauge which displays really poorly. :(
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Ray, I don't see any problem with the frame (Chrome, IE, or FF) but I do see issues with the value bar:
ray-0-10-0.jpg
A few observations:

You are passing the gauge a gaugeType of "TYPE4", for the linear gauge this was ignored in previous releases as the gaugeType was not used. In v0.10.0 the gaugeType parameter is used, but only values type1 or type2 are valid. I will add some checking code to the gauge to trap this in the future, but meantime comment out that parameter and the value bar problems should be 'fixed'.

You are also passing a "size" parameter, this is invalid for a linear gauge and only used on radial gauges. Linear gauges use "width" and "height" parameters - which will be using default values as you have not over ridden them.

The thresholdVisible, min/maxMeasuredValueVisible should all be set to false as they serve no purpose on the rain gauge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

mcrossley wrote:Ray, I don't see any problem with the frame (Chrome, IE, or FF)...
Mark, you had a look at the wrong pages - the modified scripts had not transferred over onto the server - the server's scripts have now been updated:
Please have a look at the 4 linear gauges (bottom half of the page), at their frames. I checked those two pages in the six browsers I have installed on my 'development' computer and there is indeed a difference between the 'old' and 'new' frames - I really prefer the look of the 'old' frame designs... ;)

I have checked the 'gauges' script and the 'observations' you mentioned had been already corrected ... on my 'development' computer... :oops:
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ray, I've had another look at the frames and found one error in the code, but it made me think how you calculate what a frame thickness should be.

Originally the frame was a fixed size of 14 pixels, which meant the gauges did not scale well, so I changed it to be a ratio of the longest length. This works OK with certain width/length ratios, not others, so I then tried a ratio of the shortest length, this did not work for all aspect ratios either. So I then tried the diagonal, again this works for rectangular gauges, but breaks down for nearly square. So I have ended up with a combination of the two, use a ratio of the diagonal unless using the minimum of width/height works better! Hopefully this will now work well in the majority of cases! :bash:

Anyway, version 0.10.1 is now available on github
Sagitarius
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 home premium

Post by Sagitarius »

gemini06720 wrote:Congratulation! Good job!

As for the 'Weather Blues' templates - I started converting them to PHP earlier this morning (PST) and immediately noticed some problems with both the coding of the templates and the way some of the scripts are used. For example, the jQuery Nivo Slider script used for the header slide show is old (v2.3 - v2.7.1, with some bug corrections is available for the author's web site) - it was designed to run under the jQuery JavaScript Library v1.4.3 - the latest release of the jQuery JavaScript Library being v1.7.1.

OK, looking at the source code of your page... Ouch! What have you done! :mrgreen: Really, it is a nice try but you have to remember there is a procedure to include (or replace) code within a page... Have you noticed a large number of <div> tags - they are there for a purpose - they keep things together within sections of the page - and even those sections of the page are kept together with other <div> tags.

OK, to get you going, I have worked out a template for the SteelSeries gauge - the template is also using the most recent version of the jQuery Nivo Slider scrips (both the JavaScript and the CSS script) as well as the most recent version of the jQuery JavaScript Library - files included in the ZIP. Please let me know if the template works on your server/site.

Updated 11-Jan-2012: The link to the file 'Weather Blues SteelSerie Gauges Template.zip' has been removed as it was only meant to assist one user in setting up the SteelSeries gauges ... and certainly NOT meant as an official release of the SteelSeries gauges for the 'Weather Blues' templates. Should you need assistance setting up the SteelSerie gauges on your 'Weather Blues' HTM and even PHP templates, please contact me directly (eMail address in my signature). Thanks.
Hi Ray, I'm new here, my name is Sjaak, i have you already sent a mail but you have no response given. I tried the Steel Gauges in Weather blues to get. If the normal template i put into, it goes well. http://home.tiscali.nl/goudenploeg/gauges-ss-nl.htm But if i put (Steel Series gauges) them in Weather Blues sets, the counter stops after 20 seconds. http://home.tiscali.nl/goudenploeg/gauges-ss.htm Please can you tell what is wrong. :?:
Many thanks for your help,
Sjaak.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

mcrossley wrote:Ray, I've had another look at the frames...
Please mark, confirm that I was not going crazy... :mrgreen:

Mark, would it be too 'risky' (as in 'risks' of breaking the code) to add default values (as you indicated, using a ratio of the diagonal unless using the minimum of width/height works better) for the thickness of the frames while allowing the user to enter his/her own values (the user's values taking precedent over the calculated default values)?

On another matter... ;)

I am trying to include 2 linear thermometer gauges on my 'experimental' SteelSeries gauges page, but I do not yet want to remove the radial temperature gauges. I looked at the code where (I think) the temperature values are being read, but no matter which new variable I add, I cannot get the temperature values to display on those new linear thermometer gauges - could you possibly 'guide' me in some direction (advice would be appreciated, but, please, do not use all your personal/free time for that)... 8-)
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Sjaak, please check your incoming mail for a new message/reply... ;)

Sjaak, controleer dan uw inkomende e-mail voor een nieuw bericht/antwoord... ;)
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

gemini06720 wrote:
mcrossley wrote:Ray, I've had another look at the frames...
Please mark, confirm that I was not going crazy... :mrgreen:

Mark, would it be too 'risky' (as in 'risks' of breaking the code) to add default values (as you indicated, using a ratio of the diagonal unless using the minimum of width/height works better) for the thickness of the frames while allowing the user to enter his/her own values (the user's values taking precedent over the calculated default values)?
This is a long term aim for all the gauges as it also means the gauge would scale to fill the canvas when the 'noframe' option is used. The present behaviour is to just hide the frame. This is a lot of work though.
gemini06720 wrote:On another matter... ;)

I am trying to include 2 linear thermometer gauges on my 'experimental' SteelSeries gauges page, but I do not yet want to remove the radial temperature gauges. I looked at the code where (I think) the temperature values are being read, but no matter which new variable I add, I cannot get the temperature values to display on those new linear thermometer gauges - could you possibly 'guide' me in some direction (advice would be appreciated, but, please, do not use all your personal/free time for that)... 8-)
Do you have v0.10.1a which I posted very soon after 0.10.1 - only a two character change in the code (I used an or where it should have been and) but it fixed the none display of Thermometers which I broke in 0.10.1. So just use that version and set the initialization parameter: gaugeType: steelseries.GaugeType.TYPE2,
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I have made version 1.5.2 available. Key 'features' are:
  • It fixes the no HTML5 Canvas support browser redirect - this has been broken for a while and I didn't notice.
  • It fixes script hangs when it downloads a zero length realtimegauges.txt file (seems to happen if teh fiel is downloaded whilst it is also being updated on the server).
  • It implements an "anti-camper" feature, whereby the page stops auto updating after a period of time (10 minutes is the default). But you can override this by specifiying a parameter and password to the end of the URL, the default would be:

http://www.any.com/gauges-ss.htm?pageUpdate=its-me
This will stop 'casual campers' leaving a browser open on your page for days at a time soaking up your bandwidth allowance. Of course they can look in the script for the parameter/password if they know what they are looking for, but this not intended to stop these people. You would have to use PHP to do that or implement a hashing algorithm in JavaScript.

I should have provided a parameter to switch this feature off - I will in the next release, but for now just set the time out at a very high value.

Edit: In fact I'll add this feature later on this evening, so wait for 1.5.3 if you want it.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Version 1.5.3 posted, this allows you disable the page time-out by setting the timer g_pageUpdateLimit = 0. I have also deleted the redundant no canvas support code that got left in 1.5.2
firewall
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2

Post by firewall »

New update is exactly what I was looking for, thanks Mark!
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Any chance of having easy changelang() support for the winDir Gauge labels (Latest/Average) as in earlier versions. Or.... have I missed something already available?

George Wheelock
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

gwheelo wrote:Any chance of having easy changelang() support for the winDir Gauge labels (Latest/Average) as in earlier versions. Or.... have I missed something already available?

George Wheelock
Ah, I don't think that has ever been available - it is an oversight in the steelseries library, I'll get it added...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

v1.5.4 now available, it adds changing the WindDirection LCD titles when switching languages. You need to change the gauges.js and steelseries.js files.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

With the generous assistance of Mark, I have managed to finally get going, not only the wind rose/radar gauge, but also the new thermometers gauge. :D

Since this thread is getting somewhat very very long/large, I have asked Mark to start another thread where more technical information about the SteelSeries Gauges, such as customisation of the gauges or the page that contains the gauges, could be discussed, passed along, shared.

As I indicated to Mark, the new thread should/would be aimed at users with some familiarities with (understanding of) the gauges, users whom have already installed functioning version of the gauges on their web pages - this new thread should/would not be aimed at new users to the gauges, at new installation of the gauges.

Anyone interested in doing/knowing more about the SteelSeries Gauges... ;)

Note: Although I have spent almost a week adding/editing/modifying the script, I still do not understand most of the code contained within the script - but I am certainly getting better at finding my way around the script. :mrgreen: