Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

SteelSeries Gauges - version 1.0

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

duke

Re: SteelSeries Gauges - version 1.0

Post by duke »

Since this thread is getting somewhat very very long/large, I have asked Mark to start another thread where more technical information about the SteelSeries Gauges, such as customisation of the gauges or the page that contains the gauges, could be discussed, passed along, shared.
Great idea :clap:

Sign me up.

Duke
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Maybe if someone wants to start one I'll join in!

Meantime I have been working on v1.6.0...

This will have an optional Solar Rad gauge (as well as the UV). It will include a ccr template in the zip for WD users. It is all coded and seems to be working well.

What I am less sure of is how to layout 10 (or 9, or 8 ) gauges.
(O) = optional gauge

OOOO
OOOO
(O)(O)

or (current layout with an extra gauge tagged on)

OOO
OOO
OO(O)(O)

or maybe

OOO
OOOO
O(O)(O)
tobyspond
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by tobyspond »

Mark,

I have ten gauges laid out a 3-2-3-2 pattern. Of your choices the first or the third look good.

Kerry
duke

Post by duke »

I think there needs to be an "option" of only three gauges wide as four wide looks a bit squashed and small for those of us with a norrower page (menu bar on the side).

Duke
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

OOO
OOOO
O(O)(O)
Mark - Enough already! You have given us several good examples to work from. Don't do every bodies work. May I suggest you package new gauges - for instance the Radar Gauge with the appropriate code and expect us integrate them in our own designs. I think this will add to the creative minds on this forum and provide valuable options. Tables are one way to handle page layout - and divs another - in fact many of us need to understand divs and other html layout tools a bit better as they seem to be the preferred layout method for today's page design.

GW
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

OK, after 1.6 I'll stop adding new stuff to the base package. It was always meant to be a sample for people to take and modify anyway.

I think I will go with this layout:
OOO
OOO
OO
XX
and let people mangle the layout how they like.

Div's are a more modern layout method, and it allows you arrange the gauges in more imaginative ways. The gauges-ssAlt.htm uses div's in this way to pack the gauges more densely. I don't plan on updating that page though - that is an exercise for the reader.

I attempted to generate some interest in creating alternative layouts in another thread, but it didn't really go anywhere.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, as stated by George, enough is enough - leave some of the page design to the user - do not worry (or even think) about another page layout - the one presently available within the template 'gauges-ssT.htm' is good enough (even better than good) - if a user does not like the way the gauges are displayed, then it is up to that user to re-arrange the way the gauges are displayed on his/her page, even searching the Internet if that user's knowledge of HTML programming is null to limited ... as stated into an online article I was reading recently "...with the technology now-a-day so readily available, not knowing about something is just a sign of laziness...". :roll:

As you stated "...and let people mangle the layout how they like..." :P
mcrossley wrote:I attempted to generate some interest in creating alternative layouts in another thread, but it didn't really go anywhere.
Mark, are you referring to the SteelSeries Radar Plot thread or was that another thread - I think the 'radar plot' title might have been a bit too specific to attract much interest - I think the new SteelSeries Solutions thread might/will attract more interest (thank you GeorgeW) - I am already there, am I not... ;)
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ray, I meant this thread https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6862 but what I really wanted that to turn into was people producing actual HTML

Re. the Solar Radiation gauge, I am going to set the max scale value to 1400 W/m² as the maximum theoretical value outside the atmosphere is around 1374 W/m². However I see many Davis stations reporting up around 1800! (via googling station records) Shouldn't they be calibrated in some way to avoid that either on the base station or via software?
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Oops, I had forgotten about the SteelSeries Layouts thread... :oops:

Well, I guess, with your assistance, we, together as a group, could use the SteelSeries Solutions to continue (where the other thread has left off) and advance/evolve/mature/progress with the design and presentation of the SteelSeries Gauges... 8-)

Re: Solar Radiation and the Davis Solar Radiation Sensor (for the Vantage Pro2 weather stations) - Mark, as a possible reference, I attached the technical documentation for the solar radiation sensor. I do not know why Davis Instruments chose such a high value for the maximum level of radiation (the maximum being 1800 W/m²) (they might have been planning for future sales to the residents of Venus :twisted: ) - I do not think calibration adjustments would make much of a difference between 1400 W/m² and 1800 W/m² as the weather console would still display the four digits ... or am I missing something about your interrogation (remember, I am having one of those 'blond' days :lol: )
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

gemini06720 wrote:
Re: Solar Radiation and the Davis Solar Radiation Sensor (for the Vantage Pro2 weather stations) - Mark, as a possible reference, I attached the technical documentation for the solar radiation sensor. I do not know why Davis Instruments chose such a high value for the maximum level of radiation (the maximum being 1800 W/m²) (they might have been planning for future sales to the residents of Venus :twisted: ) - I do not think calibration adjustments would make much of a difference between 1400 W/m² and 1800 W/m² as the weather console would still display the four digits ... or am I missing something about your interrogation (remember, I am having one of those 'blond' days :lol: )
Having spent quite some time working on improving solar values on another software product I became aware that the Davis solar sensor can often read far too high and at least in part it is because it records global solar radiation which can often be, and commonly is, affected by reflections from clouds and any other reflective surfaces, and I also suspect those extremely high readings are from locations are probably at higher altitudes.

Stuart
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

broadstairs wrote: Having spent quite some time working on improving solar values on another software product I became aware that the Davis solar sensor can often read far too high and at least in part it is because it records global solar radiation which can often be, and commonly is, affected by reflections from clouds and any other reflective surfaces, and I also suspect those extremely high readings are from locations are probably at higher altitudes.

Stuart
I think I noticed oddly that stations in the tropical regions had lower max readings than stations at higher latitudes. Now that could well have been because the sub-tropical stations were low lying islands and the high reading stations were at higher altitudes as you suggest. I just found it odd, if I had a station with a solar rad meter I would question why I was getting such high readings and attempt some sort of software calibration.

Still I have problems as what to set the gauge max to, leave it at 1400 and some sites will overflow the gauge. Put it up to 1800 and most sites will only use half the range. Or go to effort of making it auto-range :-(
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

mcrossley wrote:Still I have problems as what to set the gauge max to, leave it at 1400 and some sites will overflow the gauge. Put it up to 1800 and most sites will only use half the range. Or go to effort of making it auto-range :-(
Mark, make the default maximum value part of the 'gauges.js' settings, such as:

Code: Select all

var g_showSolarGauge        = true; //Display the solar radiation gauge
var g_showSolarMax          = 1400; //Maximum solar radiation value (default 1400 W/m²)
maxValue : g_showSolarMax;
So, if I prefer to use the default value of my weather station, then I only need to change the value to 1800. Please do not bother to make that an auto-range value as, for most users, the value of 1400 will never be exceeded.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

An obvious idea Ray, I'll do that.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Version 1.6.0 posted - phew!

A lot of changes in this one - make sure you read readme and catch them all.
duke

Post by duke »

Slight problem with the latest realease, probably me as I have not updated the Gauges files for some time, am I missing something under my nose?
TEXT FILE CURRUPTED, RETRYING..........
http://www.nightingaleweather.co.uk/weather/gauges.php

I have obviously updated realtimegaugesT.txt

Duke