Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Re: Hydreon double tips

Discussion of this sensor and its uses
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

not sure if this should be in double tips/results/anywhere else

it has been raining not a lot but enough to see if the rs232 direct port works better than the usb to rs232 convertor.

in short they both work the same

see debug log
debug.log
just to narrow it done

0739.693 : 19:35:46 RG11 1 state change: On
0739.793 : 19:35:46 RG11 1 state change: Off

Steve might want to look closer incase there is someting else

has anyone tried the rts/cts connections?

in the instruction it does have about the jump links and rs232 under the support section
rg-11_using_rs232.pdf
not sure if this might help.

good look everyone with this one i cant understand why its reading twice as much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

bruce45 wrote:0739.693 : 19:35:46 RG11 1 state change: On
0739.793 : 19:35:46 RG11 1 state change: Off
This is the issue which Alan seems to have fixed with his capacitor, if I'm following all this correctly.
Steve
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
I was getting on/off/on/off which the capacitor seems to have cured. Sometimes I'm getting the on followed by other debug log messages then the off but I think that is probably OK as they always appear in the correct order.
Yesterday the RG11 was following the FO bucket quite well (about 1mm lower) according to select a graph but at 0300 it seemed to stop. Can't see why yet.
Regards
Alan
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

Alan

have you tried the rts/cts set up to compare the results?

we have had more rain but im not in a postion to be able to check the log to see what has been recorded.

if anyone was wanting to use the rg11 as a replacement to the tip bucket would setting the multiplier for the rainfall to 0.5 work?

should be able to check out the reading about lunch time and will keep you posted

bruce
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
No I haven't tried RTS/CTS - I don't really want to change things till I get some comprative data.

If you mean the Cumulus multiplier (not the ini setting) and you have set the RG to 0.2 (and in the place of the FO bucket) then to convert from the FO unit (0.3) I guess its .66

I don't have enough data yet to establish if there is standard correction - at first glance it looks as though it might vary with rain intensity but time will tell.
Regards
Alan
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

ok im confused

tip buckets both show 0.05 inches rg11 shows 0.04 inches

has only been very light rain / drizzle no wind
rg11.png

debug log shows two on's one off twice for today
debug.log
Alan i was meaning in the calibration section

my rg11 is set at 0.01 inches per tip which is 0.254 mm so close enough to the 0.3 mm tip bucket

i must agree that more testing is needed with more varied rain rates. it was only if it was always reading twice as much then changing the calibration from 1 to 0.5 should half the readings. ok someone might work out the exact figures for the slight difference of the 0.046mm

time will tell

bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

bruce45 wrote: in the instruction it does have about the jump links and rs232 under the support section
Interesting, that although that is for the RS232 interface (not the tip or it's raining modes) that they also have the 4.7kOhm pull down resistor.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

Interesting, that although that is for the RS232 interface (not the tip or it's raining modes) that they also have the 4.7kOhm pull down resistor.
yes just thought someone might have a clue as to what it was and that it might help with the problem.

anyway nothing better to do so have rigged up the rg11 so its easy to swap over between the dtr/dsr pins 4/6 and the rts/cts pins 7/8

connected up to rts/cts and used the jug of water rain method and yes got increase in rg11 rain

checked the debug log and the same as before 2 on then off. no capacitor fitted. so it would appear to be no different.
i have reset very thing and left it connected to see what real rain will do.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

bruce45 wrote:just thought someone might have a clue as to what it was and that it might help with the problem.
Hi,

The Hydreon "RS232" output stage is described as a PNP "Open Collector" output (but it seems to be erroneously drawn as an NPN "emitter follower" in their data !) so a "Pull Down" resistor is essential to force the "Low" voltage level. I believe Hydreon use the RXD line as a negative voltage rail, but in practice the "ground" on Pin 5 of the 9-pin "Sub D" connector will normally work perfectly well.

Similarly most "switch" interfaces require a resistor to pull the signal in the "opposite direction" to the switch, but the resistance may already be present as the "input impedance" of the signal input line. The capacitor is probably acting as a "low pass filter" to prevent multiple pulses caused by "Relay Contact Bounce", but the "ideal" values may depend very much on the exact type of "RS232" port hardware that is being used.

I hope to be posting details of (my own) "interfacing with the RG-11" in due course.

Cheers, Alan.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

hi
just had a bit of a down pour 0.36 inches per hour from both tip buckets

the tip buckets have increased from 0.05 inches to 0.3 inches

rg11 increased from 0.05 inches to 0.47 inches

debug log shows two on's one off for each tip.

could this be a timing issue as the rg11 holds the loop on for 50ms

as im not seeing on/off on/off would fitting a capacitor help?
duke

Post by duke »

as im not seeing on/off on/off would fitting a capacitor help?
From Alan's postings - yes. I have just ordered a couple of caps for mine and will hopefully have the RG11 up and working the weekend.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

it was only because it was on on off and not the on off on off

i can try tomorrow to stick a cap 10uf across it and if it do not rain try the jug method and see that the debug shows.

still more testing needed
duke

Post by duke »

AllyCat wrote:
I hope to be posting details of (my own) "interfacing with the RG-11" in due course.

Cheers, Alan.
Looking forward to that
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

if the cap mod works would it be better to fit it inside the rg11 or at the rs232 connector?

suppose inside would make life a bit easier as they are screw terminals.
duke

Post by duke »

bruce45 wrote:if the cap mod works would it be better to fit it inside the rg11 or at the rs232 connector?

suppose inside would make life a bit easier as they are screw terminals.
Personally, I would not fit it in the RG11 as it may (or may not) effect the RG11 readings.

I've run an external cat6 cable from my RG11 to a small project box next to the PC and in here I junction my 24v supply, the RG11 cable and I have mounted an RS232 socket on the side. This gives me plenty of room for (playing) with any extra components or connections.