IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

I strongly advise all users using my server for their web site to make alternative arrangements.

Outgoing mail is disabled because of the malware on the server. No new forum registrations are currently possible, and mail to the forum administrator will not work.

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

RG11 accuracy from Hydreon.

Discussion of this sensor and its uses
duke
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus - 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 10 - 64 bit

RG11 accuracy from Hydreon.

Postby duke » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:15 pm

I didn't want to jump on an existing thread, I had several emails with Ben @ Hydreon today. One of which was the accuracy and possible future of the RG11. Here's the reply:

Hi Mark,

We are always gathering data to improve the algorithm for future releases. But it will unlikely to be as accurate as a properly maintained tipping bucket. There are so many different conditions that that the RG-11 will pick up that that Tipping bucket will not. Also, since the tipping bucket is a physical measurement of rain, its tough to get as accurate as that.

But, with the current software, the RG-11 is very close. For example, the past data point collections for a TB vs the RG-11 are as follows. These were taken over a rainfall ans then reset.

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ben Gryskiewicz

Our manual says to do annual applications of Rain-X for better accuracy, but even more will keep it more accurate.

And here's the table but in mm (if I converted it correctly).

Capture2.PNG

Duke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duke

Nightingale Weather
Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
------------------------------------------------------
Validate your pages - often!

Return to “Hydreon RG-11 Rain Sensor”