Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Running a cron job for advisories

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Running a cron job for advisories

Post by aznetcowboy »

First of all, let me say I have never, and I mean never, had anything to do with a cron job. However, I'd like to add more areas to my advisories, When looking at the comments in the settings.php it says "if more than 4 zone/county codes are used, a message will appear if you are NOT using cron to provide updates". So how do I do set up a cron job to allow me to have more than 4 advisory code/zones? :?
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: Running a cron job for advisories

Post by saratogaWX »

Setup of a cron job is very hoster-specific. Some have a website 'control panel' where you enter the cron specifications.
Some hosters only offer cron functions through the command-line interface (when logged in via SSH).

First check your hoster's Q&A about cron jobs to see which variety they support.

Then we can try to help with getting it set up...

Just FYI, my 1and1 hoster uses the command-line interface (via SSH login thru PuTTY). In my crontab, I have the
entry:

*/5 * * * * /kunden/homepages/9/d141952417/htdocs/wx/run-nws-alerts.txt

Which says:
Every 5 minutes (the */5) run the command run-nws-alerts.txt

The run-nws-alerts.txt is really a bash script to run the nws-alerts collection and save the results.:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd /kunden/homepages/9/d141952417/htdocs/wx
# Clean out old copies if any
ps auxw | grep "nws-alerts.php" | grep -v 'grep' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs --no-run-if-empty kill >/dev/null &2>1
/usr/bin/php5 -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp
cp nws-alerts-status.tmp nws-alerts-status.txt
#
Note that ALL the paths for files are VERY HOSTER SPECIFIC so you can't just copy/paste without editing
to reflect your hoster's environment. Also, some hosters do not offer cron job functionality. In that case,
you can use a Windows Task Manager scheduled task to read http://your.website.com/nws-alerts.php every 5 minutes and that will do the same as the (missing) cron job functionality.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

saratogaWX wrote:Setup of a cron job is very hoster-specific. Some have a website 'control panel' where you enter the cron specifications.
Some hosters only offer cron functions through the command-line interface (when logged in via SSH).

First check your hoster's Q&A about cron jobs to see which variety they support.

Then we can try to help with getting it set up...

Just FYI, my 1and1 hoster uses the command-line interface (via SSH login thru PuTTY). In my crontab, I have the
entry:

*/5 * * * * /kunden/homepages/9/d141952417/htdocs/wx/run-nws-alerts.txt

Which says:
Every 5 minutes (the */5) run the command run-nws-alerts.txt

The run-nws-alerts.txt is really a bash script to run the nws-alerts collection and save the results.:

#!/bin/bash
cd /kunden/homepages/9/d141952417/htdocs/wx
ps auxw | grep "nws-alerts.php" | grep -v 'grep' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs --no-run-if-empty kill >/dev/null &2>1
/usr/bin/php5 -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp
#
Note that ALL the paths for files are VERY HOSTER SPECIFIC so you can't just copy/paste without editing
to reflect your hoster's environment. Also, some hosters do not offer cron job functionality. In that case,
you can use a Windows Task Manager scheduled task to read http://your.website.com/nws-alerts.php every 5 minutes and that will do the same as the (missing) cron job functionality.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken
Let's see if I understand this. As I do not have any run-nws-alerts.txt file, I should run nws-alerts.php? The cron I have created is:
*/5* * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html/nws-alerts.php
I hope that is correct. As there have no alerts lately, it may be some time before I fine out? :groan:
Tom Wills
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

Almost right...

change

*/5* * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html/nws-alerts.php
to

*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html/nws-alerts.php
there needs to be a space after the */5

A better approach might be to create run-nws-alerts.txt in your document root (same place as nws-alerts.php) with the contents

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html
/usr/local/bin/php -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp &2>1
#
then change the cron entry to read

*/5 * * * * /bin/bash /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt
That makes sure that the nws-alerts.php uses your home directory default.

Best regards,
Ken
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

saratogaWX wrote:Almost right...

change

to

*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html/nws-alerts.php
there needs to be a space after the */5

A better approach might be to create run-nws-alerts.txt in your document root (same place as nws-alerts.php) with the contents

#!/bin/bash
#
then change the cron entry to read

*/5 * * * * /bin/bash /home/elghek00/domains/domain.com/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt
That makes sure that the nws-alerts.php uses your home directory default.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken,

I did just as you suggested and it appears to working just fine. Now to await for some alerts to show up. ;)

Tom
Tom Wills
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

Ken,

Looks like I spoke way to soon. I am getting the following in my source with the portion in blue showing up at the top of my page:

<!-- nws-alerts noCron=true .. running nws-alerts.php inline -->
nws-alerts: Checking more than four warning/county codes can delay the loading of your pages. You should use a cron job to get the data.
<!-- nws-alerts.php - 1.15 - 19-Aug-2013 - NWS Public Alerts -->
<!-- Cron job not used -->

My cron code looks like:

*/5 * * * * /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt >/dev/null 2>&1

and my run-nws-alerts.txt looks like the following:

#!/bin/bash
#

So why doesn't this work? I have set the permissions to 777 in an attempt tp see if that will help. Nope, it didn't. Now what? Wish I understood Cron a lot better. :groan:
Tom Wills
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

Still trying to get this problem resolved. My Cronjob is as follows (as suggested earlier):
*/5 * * * * /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt

My run-nws-alerts.txt is as follows (also as suggested earlier):
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/
#

I am seeing the following in my index.php file:
nws-alerts: Checking more than four warning/county codes can delay the loading of your pages. You should use a cron job to get the data.

However, I am not getting any error messages in my email. Why can't I get this cron job to work? I am confused. I really want to get this resolved.

Tom
Tom Wills
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

aznetcowboy wrote:Still trying to get this problem resolved. My Cronjob is as follows (as suggested earlier):

#!/bin/bash
#

However, I am not getting any error messages in my email. Why can't I get this cron job to work? I am confused. I really want to get this resolved.

Tom
A folowup here. Finally I got an email from the cron job. It says:
/home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt: line 6: 790 Terminated /usr/local/bin/php -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp

I have no idea what this is telling me. Just as I was hopeful that the cron job was working. :evil:

I am getting messages via email addressed to "Cron <elghek00@lhvm02> /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt" stating "kill 756: No such process". The number after the Kill word varies from three to five digits. What is this telling anyone?
Tom Wills
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

aznetcowboy wrote:
aznetcowboy wrote:Still trying to get this problem resolved. My Cronjob is as follows (as suggested earlier):

#!/bin/bash
#

Tom
Just wondering here if my run-nws-alerts.txt is set up correctly? I noticed that the "nws-alerts: Checking more than four warning/county codes can delay the loading of your pages. You should use a cron job to get the data." message is coming from the nws-alerts-status.tmp file and the nws-alerts-status.txt is empty.

Is no one using a cron job for the advisories? Certainly I can't be the only one. What is wrong with my cron job??? I certainly am not seeing the problem.
Tom Wills
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

The closer I seem to get, the more I wonder if anyone else is actually running a cron job for advisories. Right now as soon as I thought all was well, I get the following:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/nws-alerts.php on line 544
PHP Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/nws-alerts.php on line 556
PHP Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/nws-alerts.php on line 556

The last line referencing line 556 repeats 8 more times. I only find the reference to SERVER_NAME in the list 544 and 556. I am ready to give up on this cron job. I an starting to think it can't be done. I am open to any and all suggestions as how to get this resolved.
Tom Wills
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

It appears that your PHP/hoster does not set $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] environmental variable.

You can get around this by changing nws-alerts-config.php

###  END OF MAIN SETTINGS   ###
to

if(!isset($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'])) {$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] = 'www.elgheko.us';}
and that should clear the errors.
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

saratogaWX wrote:It appears that your PHP/hoster does not set $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] environmental variable.

You can get around this by changing nws-alerts-config.php

to

if(!isset($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'])) {$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] = 'www.elgheko.us';}
and that should clear the errors.
I added the code as suggested. I am now getting emails saying "kill 5580: No such process" where the kill number is anwhere from a three digit to a five digit number. In the index.php source code (right after the <body> statement) I am getting
<!-- Total script process time: 0.0002 seconds -->
Any suggestion as to what this kill statement is telling me? Boy, I never expected a cron job to be so complicated. :bash:
Tom Wills
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

The page says " noCron=true" and if you're running the cron, that should say " noCron=false".

Change nws-alerts-config.php line

$noCron        = true;                     // true=not using cron, update data when cache file expires   false=use cron to update data
to

$noCron        = false;                     // true=not using cron, update data when cache file expires   false=use cron to update data
to get the script to STOP trying to load when your page loads. Kinda contra-intuitive, but NOcron=false is equal (in logic) to cron=true :)

Getting the error message about 'kill' just means that there was no prior process running to kill. I do the kill to make sure that a 'hung' instance of the script won't stack up the PHP processes on the server and have your site return 500-Server Error when the number of PHP threads for your userid is exhausted.

In the cron job task itself, you can change

to

#ps auxw | grep "nws-alerts.php" | grep -v 'grep' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs --no-run-if-empty kill >/dev/null &2>1
to turn off that attempt to kill prior running processes.

Some Linux installations do not like the '--no-run-if-empty' argument on the xargs command also.
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

saratogaWX wrote:The page says " noCron=true" and if you're running the cron, that should say " noCron=false".

Change nws-alerts-config.php line

$noCron        = true;                     // true=not using cron, update data when cache file expires   false=use cron to update data
to

$noCron        = false;                     // true=not using cron, update data when cache file expires   false=use cron to update data
to get the script to STOP trying to load when your page loads. Kinda contra-intuitive, but NOcron=false is equal (in logic) to cron=true :)

Getting the error message about 'kill' just means that there was no prior process running to kill. I do the kill to make sure that a 'hung' instance of the script won't stack up the PHP processes on the server and have your site return 500-Server Error when the number of PHP threads for your userid is exhausted.

In the cron job task itself, you can change

to

#ps auxw | grep "nws-alerts.php" | grep -v 'grep' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs --no-run-if-empty kill >/dev/null &2>1
to turn off that attempt to kill prior running processes.

Some Linux installations do not like the '--no-run-if-empty' argument on the xargs command also.
I had already done the "$noCron=false;" so that should be okay. I have just changed the line in the run-nws-alerts.txt as suggested.

BTW, I assume the emails I am getting that stating "/home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt: line 6: 28651 Terminated /usr/local/bin/php -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp" are good meaning it has completed okay? Line 6 is "cp nws-alerts-status.tmp nws-alerts-status.txt".
Tom Wills
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

BTW, I assume the emails I am getting that stating "/home/elghek00/domains/elgheko.us/public_html/run-nws-alerts.txt: line 6: 28651 Terminated /usr/local/bin/php -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp" are good meaning it has completed okay? Line 6 is "cp nws-alerts-status.tmp nws-alerts-status.txt".
Ummm... no, that's not a good thing. That the line

/usr/local/bin/php -q nws-alerts.php > nws-alerts-status.tmp

was terminated probably means that /usr/local/bin/php wasn't found .. you may have to change it to the location of PHP on your hosting server (it varies on different hosters). It means your cron job is not quite running completely successfully.