Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WU-Forecast on it's own page?

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

Phlerb
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 8.1

WU-Forecast on it's own page?

Post by Phlerb »

I am trying to get the the WU-Forecast page to be embedded like the rest of the pages from my site, but instead it leaves the template and opens a page without the other stuff (sidebar, header, footer).

What am I missing here? And how can I change the front page to have WU forecast instead of NWS?

Thanks,
Phil
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: WU-Forecast on it's own page?

Post by saratogaWX »

You're trying something that few have done.. using WU-forecast with the Base-USA template, but it's quite possible..

If you want to have the WU-forecast just replace the NWS forecast, then you just need to add a bit to your Settings.php to enable WU-forecast to be your primary forecast provider.

Replace

Code: Select all

$SITE['fcstscript']		= 'advforecast2.php';  // USA-only NWS Forecast script
$SITE['fcstorg']		= 'NWS';    // set to 'NWS' for NOAA NWS
with

$SITE['fcstscript']	= 'WU-forecast.php';    // Non-USA, Non-Canada Wunderground Forecast Script
$SITE['fcstorg']		= 'WU';    // set to 'WU' for WeatherUnderground

//  fcsturlWU  is used by WeatherUnderground script (WU-forecast.php)
// find the correct URL by going to www.wunderground.com, search for your location and copy the resulting
// URL from your browser location bar into the $SITE['fcsturlWU']  value.
$SITE['fcsturlWU'] 		= 'http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/06108.html'; // Vamdrup, Denmark
You can also add an array of forecast locations using

// optional multi-city forecasts for WeatherUnderground with WU-forecast V1.26+ ML
// Note: make sure the first entry is the same as your $SITE['fcsturlWU'] contents listed above.
//
//*
$SITE['WUforecasts'] = array(
 // Location|forecast-URL  (separated by | characters
'Vamdrup|http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/06108.html', // Vamdrup, Denmark
'Auckland|http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/93119.html', // Awhitu, Waiuku New Zealand
'Amsterdam|http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Amsterdam%2C+Netherlands',
); 
Then the home page will use WU for the forecast, and the wxforecast.php page will show the WU forecast.

It's more complicated if you wanted to have BOTH NWS and WU available on your site...let me know if that's the case.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Ken
Phlerb

Post by Phlerb »

Thanks for the quick reply Ken. Why is it that most don't use the WU forecast in USA? At least here in Vermont it seems to be more accurate, but maybe that's just me....

And how can I have the Forcast part of the index page stretch across the page (I made the css page wider for the narrow pages as I felt it was a bit too narrow for modern screens and wanted to add a 3rd image (webcam) to the page.

And for the time being, I would like to have both an NWS page and an WU forecast page, both in the forecast part of the flyout menu, and both 'embedded'. Now that I think about it I want to run an experiment and see which one ends up more accurate in a scientific model...

Thanks!
Phil
Phlerb

Post by Phlerb »

Ken,

Any thoughts on how to add WU-forecasts to the index page and as a separate page for the USA base template?

Phil