Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Regional networks [netID]-mesomap.php now has Google map ver

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Regional networks [netID]-mesomap.php now has Google map ver

Post by saratogaWX »

It's been about 10 years since the first regional weather network (Southwestern) offered a mesonet map with rotating conditions display. Now with 39 active regional networks, it was time for an update to the display software that makes it easier on both member stations and the regional admins to display and maintain the mesonet maps.

I've just completed a V3.00 of the Regional Mesonet Map code (formerly [netID]-mesomap.php, now just mesonet-map.php or wxmesonetmap.php with my template ). This could be completed only after I found a markerWithLabels that could work with markerClusterer in the maps.. that didn't exist until recently, and I'd been looking since 2014 for a good one.

This one code base is multilingual with built in mesonet-map-lang-LL.txt files and has settings in mesonet-map-settings.php. All the languages supported by the Regional networks are included. It does produce only ISO-9959-n character codes (sorry.. had to do that for template compatibility).

As it's Google-based, it needs a Google Browser JavaScript Map API key (like the global-map.php code) which can be set in the mesonet-map-settings.php or a global $SITE['googleAPI'] key like the global-map.php.

I've put together some docs at http://saratoga-weather.org/scripts-mesonet-map.php and you can download the package from there.

Hopefully, it will make it easier for the regional network admins to maintain, as it's driven from the [netID]-stations-cc.txt and [netID]-conditions.txt files on each regional hub. I think each hub-master will have to decide to use the new one in place of the original one for their network, but anybody can use the new mesonet-map.php on their website.

The master regional networks definition file is maintained on northamericanweather.net/mesonet-map-networks.txt and the script fetches it every 6 hours normally. The data and stations files are fetched every 5 minutes from the regional hub for that network for display.

My thanks to Wim (Leuven template), for the idea to use tabber.js to have easy toggling between map, conditions, station features, and regional networks links tabs -- it made the presentation much easier and compact.

For regional network member stations, you won't have to run the mesomap-update-utility.php to keep your map in sync with the regional hub for your network -- the software will ensure the display is always up-to-date. Your network hub does not have to switch to the new map for you to use this map instead of the [netID]-mesomap.php on your site.
If your network hub does switch to this software, then you will need to use it too as the old map will no longer display accurately the conditions at station locations on the old graphic map.

For regional network admins, if you implement for your regional network, you can put '0,0,0,0' for the coordinates of new stations in the [netID]-stations-cc.txt file and just make sure the latitude/longitude is set correctly.
And, you won't need to use Paint.NET to edit the graphic any more.. just the one [netID]-stations-cc.txt file would need to be maintained in the same manner as before. Please let me know if you decide to implement on your network to replace the original [netID]-mesomap.php, and also let your member stations know if you elect to switch the network to using the V3 software for maps.

Best regards,
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Regional networks [netID]-mesomap.php now has Google map

Post by ConligWX »

Looks really good, thanks for the update and hard work!

just installed it and working great. Thanks again!
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

:clap: :clap: Congrats Ken - I know you have spent quite a few years 'battling' different map APIs trying to get the 'cluster' groups to scale and display nicely !
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

Thanks Betel!

I think I'm done with enhancements for a bit. I've just released V3.03 of the mesonet-map scripts.

The main change is the addition of the Chandler Burning Index (CBI) on the rotating conditions on the map, the station popup windows, and a new column in the Current Conditions tab (which is also sortable by click).

Put your cursor over any of the CBI displays on the map/popup or table, and a title= text will show the actual CBI, Temp in C/F and Humidity.

The feature is enabled by default in mesonet-map-settings.php as $rmShowFireDanger or $SITE['rmShowFireDanger']

This setting controls the display of the Chandler Burning Index (CBI) on the map, popups and conditions table.
=true; Display the CBI level (Low, Moderate, High, Very High, Extreme) as color-coded text. (Default)
=false; Do not display the CBI level.
Note: the mesonet-map-lang-LL.txt files contain constants for the words to display:

define('RMNET_CBI', 'Fire<br/>Danger');
define('RMNET_CBILEGEND','Fire Danger [Chandler Burning Index]');
define('RMNET_CBI_EXTREME','Extreme');
define('RMNET_CBI_VERYHIGH','Very High');
define('RMNET_CBI_HIGH','High');
define('RMNET_CBI_MODERATE','Moderate');
define('RMNET_CBI_LOW','Low');

Make changes to the words in the mesonet-map-lang-LL.txt file (and I'd appreciate it if you would send me translation updates).

Sorry that you'll have to replace pretty much all of your mesonet-map.* files with this update.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Ken
N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Post by N0BGS »

That looks very good, Ken.

I'd like to use it on my site, but when I tried to join the NEWN a year or two ago no one ever even responded to my request. Have things changed in New England?
If so, I'll give it another try. It looks like there are only two stations in Maine. I'm near Bangor.

Thanks,

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

N0BGS wrote:That looks very good, Ken.

I'd like to use it on my site, but when I tried to join the NEWN a year or two ago no one ever even responded to my request. Have things changed in New England?
If so, I'll give it another try. It looks like there are only two stations in Maine. I'm near Bangor.

Thanks,

--Kurt
Hi Kurt,
Sorry for the non-response.. that would be me :oops:

Please submit a new 'join' form from the NEWN website and I'll add you today.

Best regards,
Ken
N0BGS

Post by N0BGS »

LoL...oops! I'll re-submit! :)

Thanks,

--K
Blitzortung Station 1809
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

And... you're now on the NEWN map :)

Thanks for resubmitting your application.. I don't know what happened to the original one. I looked through the back mail to the Jan, 2015 and couldn't find a join message from you. Oh well, internet happens :)
tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

I've just joined the AUWN mesonet and I'm impressed with how easy it was to set up - and how well it works.
Biggest problem for me is decideing how to rearrange my website to include the map :)

Well done.
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
N0BGS

Post by N0BGS »

saratogaWX wrote:And... you're now on the NEWN map :)

Thanks for resubmitting your application.. I don't know what happened to the original one. I looked through the back mail to the Jan, 2015 and couldn't find a join message from you. Oh well, internet happens :)
No worries, Ken. Glad to be a new member.

Thanks again,

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Regional networks [netID]-mesomap.php now has Google map ver

Post by ConligWX »

Oh I didn't realise there was a newer version out until last night.

Thanks for your hard work, Updated now and all looks well.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0