Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WU-forecast.php Script v1.31?

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

WU-forecast.php Script v1.31?

Post by William Grimsley »

Hi Ken,

I have seen BCJKiwi's script and have asked him about his layout. He says I need to upgrade my WU-forecast.php script to v1.31.

I have looked all over your Website, your Twitter, WXForum and Sandaysoft but I can't find it.

Please help,

Thanks

Will
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: WU-forecast.php Script v1.31?

Post by saratogaWX »

That's because my most current release of WU-forecast.php is Version 1.30- 01-Jun-2012

I'd been playing with a V1.31 to handle the some funny PHP pcre misfires, but it's not quite ready for distribution. V1.30 is working fine for most sites as far as I can tell.
Is there a specific issue you are looking for V1.31 to solve on your website?

Best regards,
Ken
William Grimsley

Hi Ken,

Yes, there is. The layout BCJKiwi has got. I like how he has his day forecasts on the top row and his night forecast on the bottom row. Apparently, this can only be accomplished with v1.31.

Thanks for your help.

Will
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

Will Grimsley wrote:Hi Ken,

Yes, there is. The layout BCJKiwi has got. I like how he has his day forecasts on the top row and his night forecast on the bottom row. Apparently, this can only be accomplished with v1.31.

Thanks for your help.

Will
Ah, well he has modified the script in other ways to produce the result. That's a fine idea, and perfectly reasonable.
The only downside is if the script needs changes in the future (due to WU website changes), you'll need to fix it yourself.
The WU-forecast.php script is considered a 'Replace old script with new copy' by the updates utility since most folks do not modify the script if they are using the template set.

So.. if you change the stock script, then you support it and no questions will be entertained about why your modified copy doesn't work sometime in the future. That's the rule of 'your code, you fix it'.

Enjoy...

Ken
William Grimsley

Hi Ken,

Ok, thanks. So, this means if I change it, I have to keep on changing it as updates come along?

So, there is no point updating WU-forecast.php, until v1.31 is available.

Thanks for your help.

Will
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

Will Grimsley wrote:Hi Ken,

Ok, thanks. So, this means if I change it, I have to keep on changing it as updates come along?

So, there is no point updating WU-forecast.php, until v1.31 is available.

Thanks for your help.

Will
I'm not quite sure you fully understand, Will.

1) all my code is free, and you are free to modify it as you see fit.
2) I only provide support for my code, not for any of my code you modify
3) if you modify my script(s), then you are responsible for all future maintenance of the scripts with your modifications
4) questions about why a modified script no longer functions (or does not work as expected) are not likely to be answered

Short form: you are free to modify my scripts, but if you do, then you assume sole support for the modified script.
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

Ken,
Somehow I received your script v1.31 but I'm not sure how since it is not on your site anywhere and does not appear to be in any of the .zip downloads from your update site.

I had assumed it was the current script when discussing my changes with Will.
I did indicate he should update as I just wanted to be sure that as I had it working on 1.31, that I did not want any 'gotchas' arising from the differences between 1.30 and 1.31.
I applied all my mods to 1.31 using diffmerge and it runs fine. I have had no issues with 1.30 or 1.31.
I have checked further and find all the changes you made in 1.31 are in a different area from any of the mods I have made.

Would you recommend I revert to 1.30 or leave in the 1.31. changes?
William Grimsley

I'm not quite sure you fully understand, Will.

1) all my code is free, and you are free to modify it as you see fit.
2) I only provide support for my code, not for any of my code you modify
3) if you modify my script(s), then you are responsible for all future maintenance of the scripts with your modifications
4) questions about why a modified script no longer functions (or does not work as expected) are not likely to be answered

Short form: you are free to modify my scripts, but if you do, then you assume sole support for the modified script.
Ok, I understand now. :D
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

BCJKiwi wrote:Ken,
Somehow I received your script v1.31 but I'm not sure how since it is not on your site anywhere and does not appear to be in any of the .zip downloads from your update site.

I did indicate he should update as I just wanted to be sure that as I had it working on 1.31, that I did not want any 'gotchas' arising from the differences between 1.30 and 1.31.
I applied all my mods to 1.31 using diffmerge and it runs fine. I have had no issues with 1.30 or 1.31.
I have checked further and find all the changes you made in 1.31 are in a different area from any of the mods I have made.

There are only 4 differences in the pcre request options on preg_match/preg_match_all trying to slice/dice the return page from WU.
When we'd talked earlier about issues with WU-forecast, I'd suggested you try the pre-release V1.31 with the new pcre options and that seemed to work .. I don't think you need to revert to V1.30, but I would be interested in seeing your two-row day/night forecast mods .. it looks like that may be a popular option to use. So.. if you'd send me your script, I'll see about incorporating it into a final V1.31 release and others could share in your bounty :)

Best regards,
Ken
William Grimsley

saratogaWX wrote:

There are only 4 differences in the pcre request options on preg_match/preg_match_all trying to slice/dice the return page from WU.
When we'd talked earlier about issues with WU-forecast, I'd suggested you try the pre-release V1.31 with the new pcre options and that seemed to work .. I don't think you need to revert to V1.30, but I would be interested in seeing your two-row day/night forecast mods .. it looks like that may be a popular option to use. So.. if you'd send me your script, I'll see about incorporating it into a final V1.31 release and others could share in your bounty :)

Best regards,
Ken
That's a great idea, Ken! :D
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

Ken,
Sent you a pm with the file and explanation of what I was trying to achieve and how I managed the subset of that which can be seen on the website.
Appreciate your interest.
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

Sent you a pm with the file and explanation of what I was trying to achieve and how I managed the subset of that which can be seen on the website.
Appreciate your interest.
Thanks very much! I'll see how your option can be integrated to the WU-forecast.php as a optional display :)

Best regards,
Ken
avoorpool
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by avoorpool »

The Latest 'News" I received with my current WU-Forecast script is a message that this script can not be used (although I has run with no problems for a long time...)

See attached message that is displayed.
Is Wunderground 'fooling' around again with changing their layout?????

Does anyone has the same message??

Thanks

Arthur
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
William Grimsley

Hi Arthur,

Yes, I am having the same problem at my end. It looks like WU have made some changes to their website when the WU-forecast.php script went down.

Currently on the WU-forecast.php script, it says you need to update the script... but because there isn't any update available to support this, you can't.

So, it looks like we'll have to wait for Ken to tweak the script in order to accommodate these changes.

Also, this is temporary until Ken fixes it.

Hope this helps...

Will
Last edited by William Grimsley on Sun 13 Jan 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
avoorpool
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by avoorpool »

Hi Will,

Thanks for the message.

A while ago I saw a similar 'surprise' from WU, suddenly changing the Temp from Celsius into Fahrenheit.
Lasted a day before it changed again.

Hopefully this will resolve itself as well :roll:

Cheers,

Arthur