Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Saratoga AND Vantage Vue 'Live' Console - Beta

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Saratoga AND Vantage Vue 'Live' Console - Beta

Post by BCJKiwi »

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
UPDATE 25/6/2013 (NZ time)
Have recently received a few requests for this script.
It is being reviewed by the person who sent me the original script I worked from and who uses a Vue & WD.
The script now supports Vue and VPx consoles as well as both Cumulus and WD.
I have received acceptance of these changes from two of the early developers of the original script and am waiting for further responses.
Once this phase is complete, I will then advise if and when it will be released. If released, it will be made available here first.
Thanks for your interest.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Over on the WD forum, there is a long thread with many variations of scripts that display an image of either a VP or Vue console with 'live data' http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index. ... 563.0.html.
Most of those I have seen are only partly functional (e.g. no graph and/or no backlight and/or no live pointers).

As an exercise in improving my limited programming skills, I decided to have a go at converting this for Cumulus. For those sensitive about accreditation see two posts down!
You can see the result here;
http://silveracorn.co.nz/weather/vueconsoleCW.php
EDIT:- script name change - WD added!
This turned out to be a fairly major task but I feel the result is reasonable.
There are some variations in behaviour with different browsers but this version of the scripts does validate HTML and CSS.

This script is "fully functional".
There were issues matching up the forecast icon to the tickertape Davis console forecast. This was resolved by interrogating the $vpforecasttext strings to select the right icon.
Also a new data file from tags in Cumulus was configured to populate the graph

Known issues from testing on XP/ie8/Chrome, win7/ie9, Win8/ie10/Chrome on XAMPP, QNAP and public website hoster (all based on Apache).

ie8, 9 and 10:-
In the legend table below the image, the buttons don't work under the text (made the active area wider to compensate).

Notebook LCD Displays win7/ie9 & win8/ie10:-
These seem not to display the page in quite the same way as regular PC & monitor setups. Why this should be I have no idea. It is only this page that is affected - the rest of the website is OK.

All constructive feedback appreciated.
Edit - added link to WD forum 31 page thread, added reference to credits two posts down.
Last edited by BCJKiwi on Tue 25 Jun 2013 5:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: Saratoga AND Vantage Vue 'Live' Console - Beta

Post by gemini06720 »

And not bothering to give credits to the people from whom you have stolen both the idea and the script ... very well done indeed... :evil:
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

gemini06720 wrote:And not bothering to give credits to the people from whom you have stolen both the idea and the script ... very well done indeed... :evil:
Ray, What's with all the constant agro?

The script is fully loaded with all the credits;
############################################################################
# A Project of TNET Services, Inc. and Saratoga-Weather.org (WD-USA template set)
#
# Project: Sample Included Website Design
# Module: sample.php
# Purpose: Sample Page
# Authors: Kevin W. Reed <kreed@tnet.com>
# TNET Services, Inc.
#
# Copyright: (c) 1992-2007 Copyright TNET Services, Inc.
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA
# This document uses spaces not tabs
# Original code from various sources and specific to Weather Display
# Code supplied to BCJKiwi by Alessandro Bardi of http://www.meteocarmignano.it
# based on work by;
# http://www.nordicweather.net - Weatherstation Pertteli - Henkka
# http://www.axelvold.net
# http://www.stenestad-vader.com - Stenestads Väder
# http://www.teutari.net - Sääasema Teutari
#
# Further info from WD Forum - http://www.weather-watch.com
# Particularly tman1991 (scripts), K3JAE & pinkpanther (Icons)
#
# These variants all involved a calling script and iframe to load the main php script
# with inline CSS and javascript as well as separate javascript and jQuery scripts.
#
# Modifications by BCJKiwi May 2013
# Single php script, reduction of original separate libraries (some not required)
# Separate css, moved more js to separate js script, reworking of graphics,
#
# Full customisation for CUMULUS including;
# replace WD files with Cumulus realtime.txt CU-defs.php &
# new DavCon24T.txt file for Cumulus to generate graph data
# add translation of vpforecast to icon in language-en.txt
# use vpforecast string to set matching icon using langtransstr()
# test for missing forecast strings, write missing forecasts to file so language-en.txt can be updated
# Replacement on non-standards compliant marquee with jscoller2,
# Copyright (c) 2008 Markus Bordihn (markusbordihn.de)
# Addition of button decriptor table below console with active buttons (mixed results with different browsers)
# Rework of code to ensure validation
# Rework of screen layout to better match Vue (original development was for VPro)
# Tested on WinXP/ie8, Win7/ie9, Win8/ie10 & Chrome
# There are some variations in presentation with different browsers and on some Notebook LCD screens.
#
# Much mixing of the various libraries and icons available were required to find a working combination
# Note:- the jquery.min.js in the jquery folder is required - scripts will not run with other jquery.js libs
#
And while we are on the topic, I noticed that the last version of your Cloudbase script that you got so worked up over had a number of the credits removed - and you are complaining about me when I have retained ( and added to ) the list of credits in this live console script!
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Well done mate, work great!
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
JennyLeez
Weather Station: La Crosse WS3083
Operating System: Windows XP, Win7 & Win 10

Post by JennyLeez »

BCJKiwi,
I have been linked to this topic by a Weather Display user on our New Zealand Network forum asking me if Cumulus Members have run out of ideas and hence are leeching from their forum.
I have laughed it off with the member but I thought you should know.

Ray does have a point.
Maybe those credits should also be added to the initial post as ‘the run of the mill ‘ user will only click on the link and play with it. They will not view that information.

Just my tuppence worth.
Regards
Jenny
Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand Weather Station:
http://wairoa.net/weather/index.htm
Cumulus Topsites:
http://cumulussites.net/
kapo
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by kapo »

Hi BCJKiWI

Wery fine work again! As that cloudbase script too!! And "manycolor" thermometer also... They work just o.k. both, and look very nice in my webpage too...Thank You more than very much for those both.... I wonder is there somewhere that script to VP-console? If there is could You give some vink(=link), please.... I have seen that VP-console live working in several WD-based weather pages, but not in Cumulus pages.... If there is, I want to downoad it in my laptop, so I can see it from my summer house, where I spent most of our summer months...

With all best regards

-kapo-
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Have always worked on a principle of co-operation and providing proper accreditation and credit. The advance of technology and human endeavour is built on evolving from the work of others who have gone before.
This is a beta/initial post to gauge interest and check functionality. Full credit is in the script and on the 'about' page of the website.

I referred this script to my initial source (Alessandro Bardi) before posting here and he complimented me on the result. He also made no reference of any sort to accreditation (or lack thereof).

I did also point to the WD forum as the source of much of the original info and if anyone cared to look there you will see wholesale use of the original script and successors with modifications and re-postings and little or no accreditation. Have added a link to that thread in the first post.
Last edited by BCJKiwi on Thu 16 May 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Once reasonable feedback has been received and any further adjustments / features added consideration may be given to publishing.

Initial documentation has been completed with a view to future publication but neither the script nor the documentation are ready yet.
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

JennyLeez wrote:BCJKiwi,
I have been linked to this topic by a Weather Display user on our New Zealand Network forum asking me if Cumulus Members have run out of ideas and hence are leeching from their forum.
I have laughed it off with the member but I thought you should know.

Regards
Jenny
Jenny, perhaps you might advise the complainant Weather Display user that 'Axelvold', the originator of "VP console with real time update" confirms;
"It's ok with me if you do a version for Cumulus.
Your customisation looks very good."
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

While I have no intention of getting involved in an argument between WD and Cumulus users, the complaint from the WD user does seem rather small-minded. And they are perhaps unaware of the facilities which were originally only available for Cumulus users which have been adapted for WD (and other) users...
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Just to add a little fuel to the fire...

Steve the ONLY facility (or what ever you would like to call it) that has been available to Cumulus used before being made available to the Weather Display users is the SteelSeries gauges ... and I already had a version of the SteelSeries gauges running under Weather Display before Mark released his version to the Weather-Watch forums... :roll:
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Ray, I believe from what I have read on WW that your statement
the ONLY facility (or what ever you would like to call it) that has been available to Cumulus used before being made available to the Weather Display users is the SteelSeries gauges
is incorrect.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

OK, Think enough time and effort has gone into this script. Current version can be seen here http://silveracorn.co.nz/weather/vueconsoleCU.php

Please note that the concept of this script is to replicate the Vue Console.
However there are a few 'extras';
1. While the VP2 has a forecast ticker, the Vue does not. This script does provide one (that will pause on mouseover).
2. There is a legend above the graph to indicate which data is graphed.
3. Apparent Temp has been added.

All the data (except the forecast ticker, Forecast icons and graph data) is delivered by realtime.txt to the website every 15 seconds and updated on the page by javascript so no page refresh is required.
Graph data is sent every hour on the hour and every 10 minutes thereafter.
Forecasts (ticker and icons) are only updated by the console every hour on the hour.
There is a page refresh every hour. A manual refresh could be done but the only thing that would change would be the graph (and data points are an hour apart on that).
The realtime, tag time, and refresh times can all be changed in the script to suit your own setup.

While there is frequent discussion on this and other forums regarding the frequency data can be downloaded from the console please note that only wind data is available from the Vue sensors as often as 2.5 secs - see attachment below from the Vue Manual.

The package comprises;
1 php script
1 css
2 graphics for the console itself
16 moon icons (north and south hemispheres (auto selected by the script form you lat/long settings)
7 Forecast icons
2 "digi" font files
1 javascript for the main updating and display logic
5 additional .js libraries
1 template file for Cumulus to deliver the graph data
1 language file to translate the forecasts into icons
1 HowTo file
a total of 38 files comprising 815KB
Everything except the 5 additional .js libraries has been significantly reworked or new to achieve this implementation.

Before the script is considered for release I would appreciate feedback on how well it works on various browsers, and, on any changes that you feel should be made. Also, as we don't get snow here I have no Davis forecasts with snow. If you have some please send them to me so I might try working out how to get the snow Icon to appear alongside the forecast icon. The "is raining" icon does display when realtime includes an hourly rain rate above 0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.