Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New template: Weather Sky!

Discussion of Jacques DesRoches's web site templates

Moderator: JacquesD

JacquesD
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3

Re: New template: Weather Sky!

Post by JacquesD »

Ray,

You've jumping on launch too fast,
1h after, I've updated package at 10:26am!

I'll try to take care of that! :oops:

Please update with newest timestamp!
2012-08-04 10:26am
Jacques
Last edited by JacquesD on Mon 06 Aug 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JacquesD

Post by JacquesD »

Dear followers,

I have decided at the firs time NOT to use too modern version to be compatible wit all providers.
We know that too often probiders (and visitors too!) are slow to update their installations,
speacially on "cheap" or free one.

Combination of HTML5, CSS3 and Php 5.4.4 is an "ideal" world, but not "reachable" for 75% of us!
I've allways worked for "ordinary poeple" trying to learn simple to understand stuff, on low power Pc!
...as most of stations rely on old Pc!

I'm having a computer diploma since 1992 and work in a college, as IT manager. My main goal in my life
is to help "newbies" to be confident with computers. Being able to do great things with low investments
of time and money.

If you need to operate things with THE latest technology, on THE strongest Pc, in THE most updated provider
and want visitors using THE latest browser versions... my projects aren't probably for you!

Yes, I'm a dreamer! Dreaming that ANYBODY could do great things, with little knowledge and a few efforts!

My dream is only to help poeple to "grow"!

Jacques Desroche, Weathermaster
meteostours.ca
meteoduquebec.com
weatherbyyou.com
iceberg
Weather Station: VANTAGE VUE METRIC 2015 MODEL
Operating System: windows 10

Post by iceberg »

JacquesD wrote:Dear followers,

I have decided at the firs time NOT to use too modern version to be compatible wit all providers.
We know that too often probiders (and visitors too!) are slow to update their installations,
speacially on "cheap" or free one.

Combination of HTML5, CSS3 and Php 5.4.4 is an "ideal" world, but not "reachable" for 75% of us!
I've allways worked for "ordinary poeple" trying to learn simple to understand stuff, on low power Pc!
...as most of stations rely on old Pc!

I'm having a computer diploma since 1992 and work in a college, as IT manager. My main goal in my life
is to help "newbies" to be confident with computers. Being able to do great things with low investments
of time and money.

If you need to operate things with THE latest technology, on THE strongest Pc, in THE most updated provider
and want visitors using THE latest browser versions... my projects aren't probably for you!

Yes, I'm a dreamer! Dreaming that ANYBODY could do great things, with little knowledge and a few efforts!

My dream is only to help poeple to "grow"!

Jacques Desroche, Weathermaster
meteostours.ca
meteoduquebec.com
weatherbyyou.com

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JACQUES .....IF ONLY I KNEW 1/3 OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE I WOULD BE HAPPY.
THANKS TO YOU 100`S OF WEATHER USERS HAVE USED YOUR TEMPLATES, AND YES EVEN IF THERE ARE MISTAKES NO BIG DEAL WE COULD WORK TOGETHER AND SOLVE THE PROBLEMS.

NOTHING AGAINST GEMINI, BUT WE SHOULD ALL WORK TOGETHER AS A TEAM. ;)
duke

Post by duke »

While I class myself as a "novice" when it comes to most things web related, I do have a burning desire to achieve the best I can at anything I do. For the past few weeks I have been learning php basics with the aid of several other users, W3S and the previously posted link @ php.net. A further helpful resource - enhanced user manual.

While I agree that it states
"E_ALL should never be used on production systems"
Surely all errors / bugs would / should be resolved / rectified at a development level and therefore error reporting should not be needed at a production / live level? At least, that would my aim.

I test various bits of php in use on my weather site and others using XAMPP which displays any errors and then once live I check again in the error log in my hosts root.

Just my opinion ;) .
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

I gotta ask something here, and please excuse me if it sounds pedantic

Microsoft & other software manufacturers, how many times do they release bug fixes etc,

So if a massive company can release something that's buggy, whats the big deal about one person doing all these things for free? does it REALLY matter, just come back, contact the writer and tell them?

Just my 2cents is all
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

robynfali wrote:I gotta ask something here, and please excuse me if it sounds pedantic

Microsoft & other software manufacturers, how many times do they release bug fixes etc,

So if a massive company can release something that's buggy, whats the big deal about one person doing all these things for free? does it REALLY matter, just come back, contact the writer and tell them?

Just my 2cents is all
Rob,

I agree with you. I am reminded of the saying “To err is human; to forgive, divine.” ;)
duke

Post by duke »

Just to be clear, before I get taken to the gallows, I'm not simply having a pop @ Jacques but just saying how I test for errors and not just php errors. I use XAMPP and similar routines for other errors too as I'm sure a lot of users on here do to.

I have no doubt that Jacques work has been embraced by many who without it would not have a website ;) . I also hope some of those people get "the bug" and go on to create their own web site templates.
robynfali

Post by robynfali »

I am just generalising Duke, not targeting, the ropes not out yet lol :D
duke

Post by duke »

Thank you Rob ;) . Rather than hijack Jacques thread would, any one be interested in starting a thread on the merits of php error reporting?
JacquesD

Post by JacquesD »

... I'm using UwAmp.

JacquesD
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Rob, some comments on your statement...
robynfali wrote:Microsoft & other software manufacturers, how many times do they release bug fixes etc,

Do you have any idea on the number of people involved in the production of a software from, for example, the massive company that Microsoft appears to you - thousands, with each person or each small groups of people designing just one little part of a complete software package - although that are hundred of people just there to put together those hundred of small bits/pieces of code into what will be a complete software package and testing to ensure that all the bits/pieces of code fit together, under most situations, all those bits/pieces of code will operate together in harmony - but then, when one unexpected action is performed, then the complete software crashes!

I might not have been working directly at Microsoft (I have been a few times at their campus in Redmond WA USA), but, indirectly, for/with a small programming company that did some work for many of those massive companies... More than once, complaints were sent to those massive companies in order to figure out what end results they were trying to achieve and in most replies, no one was too sure...

The point I am getting at, it that properly written code should not produce error...

To used a software we are familiar with - how often has Steve Cumulus code produce an error message - in the almost 3 years I have been using Cumulus, I cannot remember Cumulus ever reporting an operating error - and I can only assume there are nearly a thousand lines of code (if not more) - I am also sure Steve tests Cumulus with the option to display the error messages on.

So, why would someone release a set of templates with coding errors left in them - I am certainly not pretending those template contain thousand of lines of code, maybe a few hundred.

Oh, patches are usually released to either correct small flaws in the software, to add new functions or to add additional security options.

Just my nickel (Canada has removed the cent/penny from circulation)...
JacquesD

Post by JacquesD »

gemini06720 wrote:Enough! I am out of this thread and out of you 'dream world'...
You promised Ray!!!! :bash:
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

JacquesD wrote:
gemini06720 wrote:Enough! I am out of this thread and out of you 'dream world'...
You promised Ray!!!! :bash:
First, I have never promised anything to you nor to anyone else for that matter... :evil:
Second, the message was not addressed to you... :shock:
Third, this is still a public forum... :?
Fourth, you might have started this thread, but, fortunately, you do not own nor have administrative rights to the Sandysoft forums... :roll:
JacquesD wrote:... I'm using UwAmp.
This message is addressed to you, Jacques - this UwAmp you suggested (linked to) is old, very old in Internet time - last update was in February 2011 - it still using Apache 2.2.17 (with large weaknesses), outdated PHP 5.2.17/5.3.5 (default installation), etc.

Maybe you should follow other people suggestions to install the latest release of XAMPP for Windows (released July 2012) with the PHP debugging option switched to display ALL PHP error messages...
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

I have found that how you present yourself via postings on a forum can be key to whether the advice you offer is judged by others as helpful or harmful. In my own postings, I strive to answer questions directly and factually, and not delve into arguments about the 'rightness' of a particular approach versus a different approach to solving a issue.

Based on my personal experience, I've found that Ray has some strongly held views on coding practices and evidences little tolerance for alternative approaches. That's fine .. with source code, be it HTML, CSS, PHP or JavaScript, there's always more than one way to accomplish a function. I don't think it's fine to try and browbeat someone into a particular viewpoint though .. persuasion through facts should be the approach taken, and smilies don't mitigate harshly phrased comments.

I think that what Jacques has done with his template sets is quite marvelous and I applaud his efforts and his willingness to freely share what he has done with the weather enthusiast community. I've some experience in this area (both in the development and subsequent support of free scripts), and know it is sometimes a thankless job. The personal reward comes when a nice email or posting arrives citing how the scripts have helped someone learn a bit to venture off on their own and further their hobby. It was the same start I got in 2004 when I began developing weather website scripts.

My 2cents (we still have the penny in circulation here)

Ken
robynfali

Post by robynfali »

As I said Ray, not targeting anyone, as for Steves software, I am with you, I have never had any problems, but even Steve releases bug fixes.

If you want to target specifically, then to be perfectly honest, you come across as someone who doesn't chat, or suggest, they lecture and rant!